joecrash43

How many seals makes a sealed reel?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Exactly how many seals are on a VS anyway? For the sake of discussion assume that we're talking about the X Series 150, bailed. I know at least one of their reels has a different number of seals. The question started when I posted that Tsunami is introducing it's version of the sealed reel capable of being cranked while being submerged in saltwater - if that's something you really want to do. I've never needed to reel while it was submerged in 40 odd years of surf fishing but for some reason Van Stall has a small number of fans for whom this is the ultimate mark of a true surf fishing reel, and if any other reel doesn't pass the test it's only fit for boat fishing. I disagree, but it did spark my curiosity as Tsunami said in it's marketing of the Saltx reel that it's got 14 seals, and a large number of VS die-hards are bashing it without it's not even hitting the market yet that 14 is excessive and a reel with that many seals will surely fail. So I wondered how many seals a VS x-series has, and if it's comparable to the Saltx.

Tsunami shield is a fully sealed reel

spheros sw is a fully sealed reel

saragossa is a fully sealed reel.

twinpower sw is a fully sealed reel

08 stella is a fully sealed reel (minus perimeter seal but it's water tight)

stella sw is a fully sealed reel

Spinfisher vi is not a fully sealed reel

Penn torque 1 is a fully sealed reel

Penn spinfisher 6 is a fully sealed reel that relies on a sealed ball bearing at the top of the ar clutch

Penn Slammer 3 is a fully sealed  reel that relies on a sealed ball bearing at the top of the ar clutch (and found first hand that a slight dunk water can get by)

Penn Torque 2 is a fully sealed reel that relies on a sealed ball bearing at the top of the ar clutch (from what I can tell)

Daiwa saltist (including back bays)  are sealed at the handle and sealed at the top of the ar clutch

Certate HD is a fully sealed reel

Saltiga BJ is a fully sealed reel

Saltiga is a fully sealed ree

(mag seal is very effective at keeping water out BUT............)

Now just because a reel has seals does not mean it's designed to live in the water.

seals differ.....GREATLY

The Shimano Stradic is somewhat sealed just not sure how much and it's tough to get a straight answer from them.

Allegedly 12 seals according to some things out there. But where and what does that mean anyway?

What does this mean anyway?

The combination of Shimano's cold forged Hagene body and internal gears plus a number of internal rubber washers and seals makes the Stradic spinning reel one of the most water tight reels available.

Edited by MitchellNJ

1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

I've never heard of seals making anything but baby seals and seal poop.

Should have known that was coming!

giphy.gif 

7 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

The Shimano Stradic is somewhat sealed just not sure how much and it's tough to get a straight answer from them.

Allegedly 12 seals according to some things out there. But where and what does that mean anyway?

What does this mean anyway?

Problem with the stradic, stradic ci4, ultegra (little one) sustain stella fi and J twinpower and exsence.....

Not including the lack of body perimeter seals outside the little Horseshoe shaped one at the top of the gear case under the super stopper.

Is the rubber seal in the core protect reels is that it doesn't seal entirely.  You can see the ar clutch cylinders it just sheds water)

The x protect reels have a nested washer setup that's more effective but not "water tight" just hydrophobic and tough for water to get by the channels....

The handle seals are pretty effective....as is the spool drag.....but the line roller sealing and ar clutch sealing could be better.....which is what makes a saragosa and spheros (on up ) which use a double lip seal sandwiching  grease to keep the clutch sealed.

The New stradic SW is not sealed like the gosa..but more like the exsence

Its worth mentioning the daiwas that don't incorporate a screw down cap to seal the clutch don't offer o ring seals at the perimeter of the magnet sitting atop the ar clutch....so water can get by there as a weak point...along with pretty weak seals....elsewhere.  (meaning daiwas under 400$ certate HD)

This clarifies the stradic FK vs the other smaller sized shimanos