7 Rivers

Dead Fish on OOB

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Just read this, apparently over a 1000 fish, Pogies, washed up on OOB. They said they didn't know if was Bluefish or Boats,  I bet I know.......Some are floating in the surf..........UNREAL.....

50 mins ago, stripedbassking said:

That sucks, boats???...so clowns netting them and taking too many and just dumping them?

I would assume man, boats.. If I recall,  this happened last year above Portland, the pogies were dumped and were washed to the shore, stunk like hell for a while, clean harbors cleaned them up...How about just taking what you need.What gets me is that chit in NH yesterday, netted a whale....wtf!

5 hours ago, 7 Rivers said:

I would assume man, boats.. If I recall,  this happened last year above Portland, the pogies were dumped and were washed to the shore, stunk like hell for a while, clean harbors cleaned them up...How about just taking what you need.What gets me is that chit in NH yesterday, netted a whale....wtf!

What no kidding? I didn’t hear about that.... hate nets :/

Tried to find a video I watched about this. Local fisherman explained why dumping of fish occurs. Set daily limits r exceed and instead of being able to keep or give to a fellow fisherman not having a good catch they r forced to throw back. Dead of course. Back out the next day and so on. Seems like a waste. Would be nice if they could share their catch

Anyone know if there are laws/regulations against throwing back excess catch? At any rate I feel like that would be a tough thing for marine patrol to monitor. And yeah it seems much more sensible to take only what you need.

On 9/1/2018 at 9:10 AM, mljacob1 said:

Anyone know if there are laws/regulations against throwing back excess catch? At any rate I feel like that would be a tough thing for marine patrol to monitor. And yeah it seems much more sensible to take only what you need.

Regulations specify you must toss them back, dead or alive, if you're over your daily limit.  You can't give them to another fisherman and you use them for another day's catch.

After fuming on this for a while, I came up with this........

Why can't the regulations be changed to force the fishing boats to go out with smaller catch size nets that can't catch more than their daily catch limit? Then fine the crap out of them when they do exceed their limits. I don't buy the excuse that it will be too expensive for the fishing boats. Somebody is paying for the expense of cleaning all that wasted bait fish that fouls the beaches, harbors, and shoreline when it gets washed ashore. I sure wouldn't be surprised if the fishing boats aren't the ones who are reaching into their pockets to pay for that clean up.

Edited by Crozzbow

2 hours ago, Crozzbow said:

After fuming on this for a while, I came up with this........

Why can't the regulations be changed to force the fishing boats to go out with smaller catch size nets that can't catch more than their daily catch limit? Then fine the crap out of them when they do exceed their limits. I don't buy the excuse that it will be too expensive for the fishing boats. Somebody is paying for the expense of cleaning all that wasted bait fish that fouls the beaches, harbors, and shoreline when it gets washed ashore. I sure wouldn't be surprised if the fishing boats aren't the ones who are reaching into their pockets to pay for that clean up.

Totally agree, just an effin mess to be honest...