tmcd94

Kiptopeake Ships and CBBT 9/3-9/5

37 posts in this topic

I honestly don't believe any bass have been caught at the ships in recent years. It has dropped off big time in the bay. I don't think kayak Kevin even bothers to fish it anymore.Took a look at this article .

Kinda tells ya how it is.

"Just how far gone is underscored by the state-sponsored Virginia Saltwater Fishing Tournament. In 2012, fishermen registered 1,331 citation-size stripers, fish that weighed a minimum of 40 pounds or measured 44 or more inches. Included was a state-record 74-pounder.

Last year, the citation count had crashed to 198, according to Lewis Gillingham, tournament chairman.

The early winter fishery for trophy stripers really never took off in the Chesapeake Bay. November and December traditionally are peak times for catching wall-hanging fish as they migrate down the Atlantic Coast from as far away as Canada, and take a hard right into the mouth of the bay where they shovel in baitfish, or once did.

“One fisherman said he fished the bay for 40 hours to catch a single striper,” reported Chris Snook, who operates a popular tackle shop on the southern end of the Eastern Shore.

“There would be 200 boats and I would weigh only about five fish per day,” she said.

The largest of the 2017 tournament was a 64-pound, 10-ounce giant landed by Stacy Moose of Manteo, North Carolina, who was baiting with a live eel north of Cape Charles"

2 hours ago, Jeffz1 said:

Back when Kevin was doing those videos there was fish there to catch.

Those days have passed. Has there even been a single  bass caught there in the last 5 years?

Its a winter (Dec) pursuit.   The western side of the Eastern Shore is migratory central.    I am happy enough targeting schoolies at the HRBT.

Two years ago, a fella was targeting Puppy Drum at the first small boat channel off Chicks and caught a 50 lb Striper.   

44 mins ago, Jeffz1 said:

I honestly don't believe any bass have been caught at the ships in recent years. It has dropped off big time in the bay. I don't think kayak Kevin even bothers to fish it anymore.Took a look at this article .

Kinda tells ya how it is.

"Just how far gone is underscored by the state-sponsored Virginia Saltwater Fishing Tournament. In 2012, fishermen registered 1,331 citation-size stripers, fish that weighed a minimum of 40 pounds or measured 44 or more inches. Included was a state-record 74-pounder.

Last year, the citation count had crashed to 198, according to Lewis Gillingham, tournament chairman.

The early winter fishery for trophy stripers really never took off in the Chesapeake Bay. November and December traditionally are peak times for catching wall-hanging fish as they migrate down the Atlantic Coast from as far away as Canada, and take a hard right into the mouth of the bay where they shovel in baitfish, or once did.

“One fisherman said he fished the bay for 40 hours to catch a single striper,” reported Chris Snook, who operates a popular tackle shop on the southern end of the Eastern Shore.

“There would be 200 boats and I would weigh only about five fish per day,” she said.

The largest of the 2017 tournament was a 64-pound, 10-ounce giant landed by Stacy Moose of Manteo, North Carolina, who was baiting with a live eel north of Cape Charles"

Wow that's shocking to read.  Hopefully the Raritan doesn't take after the Chesapeake.  I've read alot about all of the boats chasing menhaden through out the bay.  One article was saying how those boats are now targeting bunker right off of NJ and NY.  

37 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Its a winter (Dec) pursuit.   The western side of the Eastern Shore is migratory central.    I am happy enough targeting schoolies at the HRBT.

Two years ago, a fella was targeting Puppy Drum at the first small boat channel off Chicks and caught a 50 lb Striper.   

One fish that I'm going to target next summer or the one after is a Tarpon specifically at Eastern Shores.  Heard of some being spotted rolling when the water is at its peak usually at the end of August or early September.  That would be a dream come true.  

1 min ago, tmcd94 said:

One fish that I'm going to target next summer or the one after is a Tarpon specifically at Eastern Shores.  Heard of some being spotted rolling when the water is at its peak usually at the end of August or early September.  That would be a dream come true.  

There are some very hard to find and secretive reports of Eastern Shore Tarpon.    I searched around a few years ago.   Elusive, hard to find and a seriously well guarded secret.   But, the dedicated find them from what I hear.

Guy in South Carolina, charter, offers a four and 8 hour trip.   For the 8 hour, he advertises "no Tarpon, no pay"      I would put my odds there or the Keys.  

1 hour ago, KnewBee said:

There are some very hard to find and secretive reports of Eastern Shore Tarpon.    I searched around a few years ago.   Elusive, hard to find and a seriously well guarded secret.   But, the dedicated find them from what I hear.

Guy in South Carolina, charter, offers a four and 8 hour trip.   For the 8 hour, he advertises "no Tarpon, no pay"      I would put my odds there or the Keys.  

That's amazing.  I think the ultimate challenge would be getting one from the kayak.  I've caught them from kayak in Florida but it would be even more rewarding getting one from VA.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:52 PM, tmcd94 said:

That's amazing.  I think the ultimate challenge would be getting one from the kayak.  I've caught them from kayak in Florida but it would be even more rewarding getting one from VA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcOTRCbP2EQ

Aug 6 2017 a rare gem.  

This guy is harder than woodpecker lips and has some great (and funny) videos.