tmcd94

Kiptopeake Ships and CBBT 9/3-9/5

37 posts in this topic

I’ll be at the ships next weekend. Unfortunately I’m out of town for a week. It should be getting good there now. The cbbt should be picking up too. 

16 hours ago, odiemike86 said:

I love kipto! We go there every year.. Got a 50+ lb bullred on the cbbt in June. The crabs should be in thick, They are the ticket.

15 hours ago, capri_auto said:

I have some crab jibs in a variety of sizes.  Thinking of dropping some fiddlers around the pilings.  Figure that should entice most of whatever will be down there.  

11 hours ago, Africaster said:

Geez Terry, that's definately being added to the list! Next year is Alaska, but 2020 is still open ... let's explore the possibility more on BI :th:

Alaska?! That is quite the excursion.  BI can not come fast enough this month.  Really looking forwarded to exploring that Island more.  

9 hours ago, Pma531 said:

I want to make a trip to the ships this year. Tmcd94, any idea when is a good time If year?

Seems to be the only time I make it down there tends to be around Sept. Have not been down there outside of this month, so couldn't speak of it off of first hand experiences.  

Sept-Nov tends to be my favorite time of the year to fish from the kayak ranging anywhere from Florida up to where we are. 

Got back from Kiptopeke late Wednesday.  

I arrived at Kiptopeke State Park Monday around 6ish.  Immediately put the kayak in the water and went out to the ships fished about an hour and half til the sun went down.  Marked alot of bait and even saw a shark busting on the surface almost immediately.  Jigged around the ships for a bit, had alot of hits but no hook ups.  Started to wonder how I was getting so many hits but no hook ups :confused:

Tuesday I loaded up the truck and drove across the CBBT.  Awesome views driving across, didnt see too many boats actively fishing the pilings however there was no shortage of Cobia towers going around the bay.  Launched the kayak from Fentress Ave, right by Buoy 44.  Perfect conditions.  Was attempting to target tog and/or sheepshead with cut up pieces of blue crab.  Dropped the blue crab with  a crab jig on the front of every piling up to the first island.  Then proceeded to fish the inside of the bridge all the way to about 11' of water.  Every drop the crab was stripped of meat almost immediately, snagged a pin fish on a attempt to set the hook.  No luck with any sheeps or tog, however there was no shortage of oyster crackers lol.  

With the pin fish I snagged I set up a rig to drop him to the bottom and hold bottom.  Dropped  him in front of every piling I passed until the fish was no longer swimming.  No luck with this method.  

Spoke to a couple kayakers at the CBBT they stated there was a lot of shark action for them but thats about it.  I personally have never witnessed so much baitfish with no actual fish on them.  

Wednesday morning I decided hit the ships one more time.  I dropped blue crabs in between the ships with no luck other than an oyster cracker.  Started to drop a gulp on a buck tail with a teaser, I almost blew threw the entire tub of gulp.  Every single drop the tail was bitten off before it would even hit bottom.  The culprits were lizard fish.  If you thought bluefish were bad, you need to see these lizard fish.  Managed one small fluke on the teaser.  

Nice relaxing trip, couldnt have asked for better weather.  Next time I do this trip I would aim to go a little later in the season, and target the Bull reds via dropping a bait fish by the pilings and using a bigger buck tail with a larger bait.  

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1019.JPG

28 mins ago, Pma531 said:

Those are some good quality pictures!! How far apart is the CBBT and the ships?

Thank ya!  All pics were taken from the Iphone X

If you wanted to paddle from the ships to the start of the ships I'd estimate its maybe 3 miles? Not sure exactly.  Each time I have driven across the bridge and launched from the Virginia Beach side. Its about a 30 minute drive from the ships to the site I launch from.

Believe it or not, those Oyster Toads are good eating.

If you do not believe me, go to Sting Rays, and order a Oyster Toad sandwich. If they have them, there will be a cardboard sign in the corner by the order window. I tried it one time on a lark when I saw the sign, and was pleasantly surprised.

20 mins ago, dena said:

Believe it or not, those Oyster Toads are good eating.

If you do not believe me, go to Sting Rays, and order a Oyster Toad sandwich. If they have them, there will be a cardboard sign in the corner by the order window. I tried it one time on a lark when I saw the sign, and was pleasantly surprised.

A buddy of mine actually told me they were pretty tasty. Took a brave soul to find out that there edible.  Definitely not the best looking fish.  Everytime I drive past that restaurant I wonder how the food is.  Ill have to stop by the next time I'm down there. 

tmcd94.

As you noted, it is still a bit early.   Late Sep, early Oct and May are ideal for the Bull reds.    Bull red in the "shoals" but that can be very risky (area just off fishermans island).  Bad time of year for tog and sheepshead right now.    Lotta Cobia being caught, but it can be a fools errand trying to luck into them.   

Wise boat ramp in the spring and again in LATE Sep are ideal.  

I dont fish CBBT much because I have not had much luck and the distance to even first small boat channel (one mile from Chicks) makes for a long day when inlets are plenty good as an alternate.   Plenty folks do and they do well.   No shortage of info on the interwebs. 

Kayak Kevin has some incredible videos, especially huge striper around the concrete ships (winter, brrr).  

Anyone interested, check out "comeonfish01" on the webs.  Dude is a real master of the CBBT, Concrete Ships and all over the bay.  He has some hilarious videos!

Stingrays has some awesome food, I don't get down that way as much anymore, used to go down to Cape Charles for work.  Long boring drive down rt 13, 55mph, 45mph, 35mph, etc.. put anyone to sleep with everything looking the same every town.

On 9/8/2018 at 6:52 PM, KnewBee said:

tmcd94.

As you noted, it is still a bit early.   Late Sep, early Oct and May are ideal for the Bull reds.    Bull red in the "shoals" but that can be very risky (area just off fishermans island).  Bad time of year for tog and sheepshead right now.    Lotta Cobia being caught, but it can be a fools errand trying to luck into them.   

Wise boat ramp in the spring and again in LATE Sep are ideal.  

I dont fish CBBT much because I have not had much luck and the distance to even first small boat channel (one mile from Chicks) makes for a long day when inlets are plenty good as an alternate.   Plenty folks do and they do well.   No shortage of info on the interwebs. 

Kayak Kevin has some incredible videos, especially huge striper around the concrete ships (winter, brrr).  

Anyone interested, check out "comeonfish01" on the webs.  Dude is a real master of the CBBT, Concrete Ships and all over the bay.  He has some hilarious videos!

I have seen his videos before, as well as Rob Choi's and Kayak Kevin.  Those videos are definitely a driving source that pulls me down to fish the CBBT.  Amazing watching those guys. Watching those videos makes me think of the amount of time and resources those guys have invested to figuring out that bridge.  I dont think spending one weekend there a year will equate to something of there caliber but one can dream lol.

I am driving down to South Florida tomorrow to fish offshore and inshore for Tarpon and Snook from the kayak, depending on the conditions I will look into fish the CBBT on my way back up.  

17 hours ago, spinr0k said:

Stingrays has some awesome food, I don't get down that way as much anymore, used to go down to Cape Charles for work.  Long boring drive down rt 13, 55mph, 45mph, 35mph, etc.. put anyone to sleep with everything looking the same every town.

Extremely true! Everything looks exactly the same.  Once I pass the Woodwork shop and/or Stingrays then I know I'm at the home stretch.  

On 9/8/2018 at 6:52 PM, KnewBee said:

Kayak Kevin has some incredible videos, especially huge striper around the concrete ships 

Back when Kevin was doing those videos there was fish there to catch.

Those days have passed. Has there even been a single  bass caught there in the last 5 years?

1 hour ago, Jeffz1 said:

Back when Kevin was doing those videos there was fish there to catch.

Those days have passed. Has there even been a single  bass caught there in the last 5 years?

Couldnt tell ya I'm not in that area enough to know.  But I cant imagine there being that big of a drop of that no Stripers remain there.  Based on what I've seen if your looking for bass there December seems to be when you want to put in your time, and stripers are usually a night time game.  Cant imagine too many people fishing that area at night in December. 

I personally would love to get down there and fish at night targeting the stripes.  If a group of people would want to go, I am 100% game.