R.R. Bridge Fisher

Old shimano Calcutta 100 size

18 posts in this topic

I bought this reel in 1987. As i remember i paid $249 for the reel which was a lot back then i think.

I use mono on this reel.

I have done nothing to this reel.

I can clean a little but not comfortable doing a huge teardown.

Question is.....

Is this reel worh sending out and cleaning and replacing any worn parts or is it totally outdated in todays world of reels?

I have a little attachment to the reel because i bought it with the cash i got when i sold my gto when wifey was pregnant and i was building my house.

Is this a keeper?im thinking it would need a new pawl at the least. 

Thoughts?

This is one of the most durable fishing reels ever built. The drags take a back seat to none  and cast farther than most any reel in it's class. In good to excellent condition these reels sell for 100.00 to 125.00 dollars.This reel is low line capacity compared to most round reels[ 6 - 10 lb mono up to 20 lb braid] but is also heavier than most modern reels. These are lifetime reels I have 1000's of hours on mine 100 and 200 models without any repair in my freshwater fishing. Light grease on the line carriage and a light drop of oil on each axle under spool caps as needed and you will enjoy many hours of service free fishing.

9 mins ago, chris koltz said:

This is one of the most durable fishing reels ever built. The drags take a back seat to none  and cast farther than most any reel in it's class. In good to excellent condition these reels sell for 100.00 to 125.00 dollars.This reel is low line capacity compared to most round reels[ 6 - 10 lb mono up to 20 lb braid] but is also heavier than most modern reels. These are lifetime reels I have 1000's of hours on mine 100 and 200 models without any repair in my freshwater fishing. Light grease on the line carriage and a light drop of oil on each axle under spool caps as needed and you will enjoy many hours of service free fishing.

Thank you very much Chris. 

2 mins ago, acesover said:

Had a buddy offer to sell me one a while ago, great little reel, but the drag was lacking. May have just been that particular reel tho...

Yes, it doesn't have lock down strength. I still fish mine for smallies.  Put it on a shelf? :laugh: No way, keep fishing it.

Late to this one, but I have one in the 200 and bought it back in the 90's believe. Have caught I don't know how many bass, flounder, trout with that reel. Never had to do anything bur light drop of oil on paw and spool beatings, still sling a plug a mile and quiet as the day I bought it. Have a 400 I fished the Chesapeake Bay with for years, but have moved on to other setups now. Keep that little baby and fish it and quit wondering if the grass is greener on the other side.

44 mins ago, Waydown said:

Late to this one, but I have one in the 200 and bought it back in the 90's believe. Have caught I don't know how many bass, flounder, trout with that reel. Never had to do anything bur light drop of oil on paw and spool beatings, still sling a plug a mile and quiet as the day I bought it. Have a 400 I fished the Chesapeake Bay with for years, but have moved on to other setups now. Keep that little baby and fish it and quit wondering if the grass is greener on the other side.

Yes I have all intentions to keep this reel as it holds a special meaning. I have one other reel to open up before I look into this one. 

I'm not sure if I can do a light cleaning and lubing or send it out. 

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Been using my 251s for 25 years now I think, I believe they all had the same drag, or something very similar.

I have no idea what some have against the drags, mine have worked great on some very big fish with zero problems.