pogie_boy

Biting black files at sea??

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

We were out in the Monomoy rips yesterday morning for a while when we started to get bitten by these small black flies....  Just a few at first, but more and more started finding us out on the water!

They were with us all the way back to Saquatucket, and we noticed a few other boaters out in the sound swatting away like we were.

I've not been out on the water there TOO many times, but I've never encountered or noticed them.  Is it that it's late august and they're in season?   Most of my fishing out there has been in the months of June and July.

The black flies suck. You can go miles and miles offshore and they still manage to find you. I'm convinced they live in the rotting seaweed and get carried out to sea on full moon tides. Then they look for an island of solace, aka a boat chumming up skanky herring. I'm convinced that heat and low wind have something to do with their numbers too.

Only way to manage the files is to minimize the amount of bait you have out, minimize any garbage sitting around, and kill them with a swatter. They will probably still find you but you can try to keep their numbers down.

I'm sure you mean the ones that look like houseflys, not the little gnats Maine is famous for?

They were brutal Monday on Scusset Beach. Spray didn't seem to affect them at all. Would rather hang out in the water and take my chances with whitey!

42 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

I'm sure you mean the ones that look like houseflys, not the little gnats Maine is famous for?

They were brutal Monday on Scusset Beach. Spray didn't seem to affect them at all. Would rather hang out in the water and take my chances with whitey!

Exactly.. they looked just like small houseflies... but they bit and drew blood!  They would even crawl down into the holes of your crocs and bite your feet!

Are they proliferating due to the abundance of seal carcasses on the beaches?? :eek:

Same on Plymouth Long Beach Tuesday.  My cooler had sugar water spilled on it and after fifteen minutes on the beach it was COVERED in flies.  You could not see what color it was in some areas.  Is this something that lasts weeks or will it pass quickly?

WE had then out on Cape Cod bay as well all day yesterday until the new front chased them out. Nasty and disturbing revelations of what they were like all day for the most part

I was out in the same general area a week ago and we had the same problem with the flies. Have no idea what they were going our there. Maybe a big slick from mackerel or bluefish brings them out?

Yesterday at Lavalette, NJ you couldn't get away from them unless you were up to your neck in the water, and even then they would try to land on your face.

They were off race point yesterday in droves.......they made it impossible to stay on the beach too lately if there’s no wind.

i heard they were bad out on stellwagen the past two days also.

Get those flies fishing in the sound off of ct. They are usually thickest in August. They will ride in the boat from spot to spot under the wind. keeping bait closed can help attract less.