Wheeler

Favorite light (1/16) swim jighead?

17 posts in this topic

Ive tried so many different types of these and most seem to suck at holding your bait on. Catch 2-3 fish and you need to replace the plastic because it gets too "loose". Using mainly swimbaits (curly tails and paddle tails).

I really like the Eagle Claw 1/16 Laser Trokar 4/0 hooks. They hold the bait tight, but they're pricey and hard to find. Any other good options out there?

Tag. 

I've been playing with ultralight texas rigging w/ a varity of hooks in lieu of a light jig head.  So far "Meh" results as a replacement.

2 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Ive tried so many different types of these and most seem to suck at holding your bait on. Catch 2-3 fish and you need to replace the plastic because it gets too "loose".

Any of the Owner twistlock hooks will be a dramatic improvement for bait retention. They even make a finesse EWG that is perfect for those 3" worms. You can pinch a splitshot on the belly for weight, or look up the Scooby Doo rig. Or, you can buy the CPS Springs and add them to any hook for weedless rigging. The Owner centering pin is a vast improvement over your standard screwlock...esp on the smaller baits. Perfect alignment every time.

5b8967b93c7b4_rs(2).jpg.510436e928295de97207544d9cdbf1b2.jpg5b8967bb7cac7_rs(1).jpg.31437b83eacb5c3e43622f2b1c530c2b.jpg 5b8967ba574d1_rs(3).jpg.81a1726ef3c03ba2659ac3f4589ef560.jpg

Gammy makes a great short shanked jig head for open hook applications, it's the 211 Round Jig Head. 

rs.jpg.4d4b6ebf99e5ba16693a1abf627bb068.jpg

There's no perfect solution, it's just the nature of soft plastic baits unfortunately. IMO, it can depend on the brand of plastics you use too. Some are softer than others, so don't stay on as well and tear easier. Mann's Hard Head series is a good one that seems to stay on longer. I like Zoom & Culprit too, they seem to hold up well.

I make & use many types of jig heads, and depends on the plastic, and how I want to use it which style head I'll choose. Again none are perfect for all applications. 

I make these in the pics for use with various size baits, primarily for bass fishing, the first one I like for regular plastics & smaller baits like grubs and worms, the second pic is a heavier jig that I make in 3/8 & 1/2 oz for bigger plastics. That first one with the screw lock, I make in different sizes with various size hooks. I like that second style jig for the Zman plastics & some older elastec type baits I still use. That's a 4/0 Ultra Point hook in them, but I'll also mold them with Gamakatsu & Owner hooks. I've been working on making them with a wire weed guard too.

Otherwise, I'll get a bottle of Pro's Soft Bait Glue, and a drop on the jig collar or hook shank will help keep them on longer, and the same glue will repair torn baits.

100_6814a.jpg

100_6794B.jpg

BTW, softer plastics generally have better action, but don't last as long. The harder the plastic, the less action but the longer they last. It's all a compromise. I love Yamamoto plastics, they catch the heck out of fish, but they tear easy. 

Also, the key to any barbed keeper jigheads...you go in once. Overshoot if you must, and tear the plastic along the hook into proper position. Backing out on the barb = woe. 

The Z-Man Ned Lockz HD jig heads go down to 1/15oz and has a great little hook. Perfect fit for the 3" easy shiners...probably my favorite little swimbait. 

I'm a fan of the VMC UV Neon Mooneye jigs. I've used the 1/32 and 1/16 oz ones. They have a single wire keeper which I think works well. I also love Sierra Slammers 2" Mini Swims!

2CEBB30D-4135-4FF7-9ED9-F1861C34E44B.jpeg

D6FA1B05-94E7-48F3-8A06-98AF4DB0431F.jpeg

I second the Mooneye jigs, they are excellent. I use them a lot fishing vertically, on deeper structure for smallmouth. I add a 2-3” trailers. They are deadly!

I like the looks of the moon-eye. The Ned rigs I like have the same single wire keeper and it works well. At $0.65ea, the price is right.

These are the types that don't seem to work well for me. Once the bait slips down (often on first hit) it never stays tight again.

On 8/31/2018 at 0:09 PM, buddha162 said:

Gammy makes a great short shanked jig head for open hook applications, it's the 211 Round Jig Head. 

rs.jpg.4d4b6ebf99e5ba16693a1abf627bb068.jpg

These are the ones I'm currently using. I like them, but they're over $2ea.

download.png.3f9d085ddfd607962237ad2bfc764b74.png

Holy cow, didn't realize the mooneye's were so tiny. More of a crappie jig. Guess Ill stick with the Trokars. I really like them, they're just pricey.

IMG_4138.jpg.0c2a8390909118d12a51a501f8aec63e.jpg

19 hours ago, TJones said:

What size bait are you throwing wheels?

For this application, generally 4" curly or paddle tails.

You could check out the new dobyns swimbait heads... they have a longer shank hook, but I’m not sure if they go down to 1/16 oz. they hold s bait really well though.

I do like the berkley half heads, for the money. The 1/16 oz has a size 1 hook which is smallish, if your fishing a thick bodied bait though.