Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
55555s

Enjoy your fish - Now!

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Oh, Patchy, as usual you cite a relevant report.  BHO's proposals were from 2011 though, and the Hg- bluefin report you linked started its study in 2004.   No doubt the declines started prior to that too, right?   So while its terrific that the Hg content of tuna is declining in the Atlantic, it really cant at all be attributed to the BHO proposals.   In fact, its been dropping for decades.  Probably due to several factors, not the least of which is the marketplace.  

What, exactly, went into effect in 2011 that caused the change you linked?

Anyway, healthier tuna is a good thing.  So are jobs and so is a robust economy.   In fact, I'd submit that maybe higher levels of Hg in tuna would help them long term.    I'll leave that for another thread in another forum.  

28 mins ago, 55555s said:

Oh, Patchy, as usual you cite a relevant report.  BHO's proposals were from 2011 though, and the Hg- bluefin report you linked started its study in 2004.   No doubt the declines started prior to that too, right?   So while its terrific that the Hg content of tuna is declining in the Atlantic, it really cant at all be attributed to the BHO proposals.   In fact, its been dropping for decades.  Probably due to several factors, not the least of which is the marketplace.  

What, exactly, went into effect in 2011 that caused the change you linked?

Anyway, healthier tuna is a good thing.  So are jobs and so is a robust economy.   In fact, I'd submit that maybe higher levels of Hg in tuna would help them long term.    I'll leave that for another thread in another forum.  

I didn't say anything about Obama.

I'll answer here presently

Edited by patchyfog

5 mins ago, patchyfog said:

I didn't say anything about Obama.

I'll answer presently...

Dont go overboard on a respsne.  lets revisit it in the PG one time/some time.  I really dont like to hang out in the outpost too much. 

Its disgusting here.

23 mins ago, 55555s said:

In the meantime, would you please answer ^ question here?

1 min ago, patchyfog said:

In the meantime, would you please answer ^ question here?

Ugh.  I'll give you a snippet, and I am sure you area smart enough to infer the rest of what I mean.

Hg reduces cognitive ability in humans.   We also know it is well documented that it both bioaccumulates and biomagnifies through food webs. 

It causes problems in humans.  no doubt.  At low to moderate levels, does it cause major physiological problems in large fish?  Perhaps, but I think not until levels increase substantially.

So, what IS the biggest threat to large fish such as BFT?    (NO, not global warming.  Ugh) .     Us.  We are.  Overfishing commercially and recreationally.

So, if we "cant" (or wont or sholdnt) eat tuna due to some higher Hg levels, then provided the levels arent such so as to cause reproductive physiological stress in the fish, the reduced harvesting would aid them.

In short, what happens to the "that" if people say "ew, dont eat that!".   Correct, it gets more plentiful.

BFT dont care if their fins tingle or they lose some IQ points.  

3 mins ago, 55555s said:

Ugh.  I'll give you a snippet, and I am sure you area smart enough to infer the rest of what I mean.

Hg reduces cognitive ability in humans.   We also know it is well documented that it both bioaccumulates and biomagnifies through food webs. 

It causes problems in humans.  no doubt.  At low to moderate levels, does it cause major physiological problems in large fish?  Perhaps, but I think not until levels increase substantially.

So, what IS the biggest threat to large fish such as BFT?    (NO, not global warming.  Ugh) .     Us.  We are.  Overfishing commercially and recreationally.

So, if we "cant" (or wont or sholdnt) eat tuna due to some higher Hg levels, then provided the levels arent such so as to cause reproductive physiological stress in the fish, the reduced harvesting would aid them.

In short, what happens to the "that" if people say "ew, dont eat that!".   Correct, it gets more plentiful.

BFT dont care if their fins tingle or they lose some IQ points.  

How about the jobs and economic part, that's what I want to know. Where's that fit in?