Mummichog

Identity Stolen

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Just when I thought my 2018 couldn't get any worse, the bank calls.  "Did you use your debit card at the Walmart in Pittsburgh?", "how about the Applebee's in Marraysville?", "the Walmart in Carlisle?", "the gas station in.....", etc...,Ugh!!!!!!!   This is the lowest of low and should be punishable by death.  Had to cancel all my cards.  At least they caught it at a few hundred.  I don't have a lot of cushion these days.  Despicable bass-turds!!!!

The bank should put it all back for you. I had two cards compromised after a trip to Tampa in February. Didn't use both cards in any ONE place, which makes it every sadder. 

Makes you wonder with the new chip cards not even requiring the clerk to see ID?

I was in the bank canceling my cards and they were still racking crap up it was all refunded by the bank as wife caught it quickly.

Yeah, I'm thinking they should.  I'll call them.  I figured it out while in Home Depot, running late to pick up my daughter.  It was a hectic night.  I had to call the bank to have them let me use the card one more time to pay for what I had.  They shut the card down immediately.  

But seriously, I would rather someone point a gun at me and demand my wallet than this sneaky identity theft crap.  Low-life scum.

1 min ago, CapeDave said:

Makes you wonder with the new chip cards not even requiring the clerk to see ID?

I was in the bank canceling my cards and they were still racking crap up it was all refunded by the bank as wife caught it quickly.

The chips have made things worse. The old cards had to physically be handled, seen or swiped to get the card info. The chip info can be picked up from a remote reader. It's a NFC chip. It's the same way the new car key/fabs work.

I think using your phone to pay is probably the most secure way to pay these days. 

3 mins ago, Mummichog said:

I'm wondering how they know the PIN.

A lot of places don't require a pin, especially when you run it as credit. May not even require a signature. 

Just now, Scallywag said:

A lot of places don't require a pin, especially when you run it as credit. May not even require a signature. 

I was thinking about that.  At Walmart, I think the choice is credit/debit and the PIN pops up when you put the card in.  But I'm not really sure.  I never try to use a debit card as a credit card.  I'm sure those turds have some way.

For sure man. If I can use the credit option i will because then I don't have to enter the pin. 

Criminals will always have a way. As soon as new secure technology comes out, it's already been hacked. 

Credit is so much better unless you're totally undisciplined. Fraud can be taken care of before it affects your own money. Plus the option for points or cash back.

Just pay it off in full every month so they don't rape you for interest.

43 mins ago, CapeDave said:

Why do credit cards not have a pin, along with the chip. The chip doesn't prevent fraud in the least. Someme out in california made a card with my info, used it at home depot. When I called my cc company, they could actually tell me they tried the chip three times, it didn't work so they swiped the card. What good is the chip is you can still swipe it? 

Anyway, get a new card, three weeks later, the chip doesn't work. order a new card, same thing. **** the chip. 

41 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Credit is so much better unless you're totally undisciplined. Fraud can be taken care of before it affects your own money. Plus the option for points or cash back.

Just pay it off in full every month so they don't rape you for interest.

+1

Part of the assumed costs of business travel. I was in oklahoma city using my card. The credit card company called me to ask if i was using the card in mass. Card was canceled. I had to wait for new card sent to a hotel address.

1 hour ago, Mummichog said:

Just when I thought my 2018 couldn't get any worse, the bank calls.  "Did you use your debit card at the Walmart in Pittsburgh?", "how about the Applebee's in Marraysville?", "the Walmart in Carlisle?", "the gas station in.....", etc...,Ugh!!!!!!!   This is the lowest of low and should be punishable by death.  Had to cancel all my cards.  At least they caught it at a few hundred.  I don't have a lot of cushion these days.  Despicable bass-turds!!!!

You shouldn't be charged for that, My Capitol One card was compromised when i was in the city one day they didnt have my card but did whatever tricks they do to use it. They tested it out with a cup of starbucks coffee first (that worked) they hit the apple store and dropped $500, then Dallas BBQ like 4X, cab rides from queens to the city etc all in all $1200, i got the bill and called the CC company the message was we suspect unusual activity on your card (really? then why wouldnt you call me?) needless to say all charges were covered and they added a few days prior charges to be sure

17 mins ago, Sandflee said:

You shouldn't be charged for that, My Capitol One card was compromised when i was in the city one day they didnt have my card but did whatever tricks they do to use it. They tested it out with a cup of starbucks coffee first (that worked) they hit the apple store and dropped $500, then Dallas BBQ like 4X, cab rides from queens to the city etc all in all $1200, i got the bill and called the CC company the message was we suspect unusual activity on your card (really? then why wouldnt you call me?) needless to say all charges were covered and they added a few days prior charges to be sure

The trouble with this is he used a debit card, so the funds were removed from his account immediately. Now he has to work with his bank to try and get them back, which I'm sure he'll be able to do eventually. But if his account is tight any checks he's written or autopays he has through the card might bounce.