they really burn that dude for $400K

Rate this topic

HugeDinghy

PHILADELPHIA --

A homeless man whose selfless act of using his last $20 to fill up the gas tank of a stranded motorist in Philadelphia got him worldwide attention is suing the couple who led a $400,000 fundraising campaign to help him.

Johnny Bobbitt says he's concerned that Mark D'Amico and Katie McClure have mismanaged a large part of the donations raised for him on GoFundMe.

The New Jersey couple denies the claims, saying they're wary of giving Bobbitt large sums because they feared he would buy drugs.

Bobbitt's lawsuit contends the couple committed fraud by taking money from the fundraising campaign for themselves.

2 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

c'mon, no way you haven't heard about this unless you live in a bubble. 

been working 13 hour days all week. No idea what's going on in the world. See about 10 minutes of news in the morning and that's been it. 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

Read that the other day.  Truth seems to be somewhere in the middle.

I read they bought the guy a car and something else, and he sold it  quickly for drug money. 

The two of them took a real long and expensive looking vacation and put it up on fb and instagram, but claim that was their own non-donated money.

Either way it affirms my belief in not getting emotional and contributing to these gofundmes. 

1 min ago, Tom T said:

Read that the other day.  Truth seems to be somewhere in the middle.

I read they bought the guy a car and something else, and he sold it  quickly for drug money. 

The two of them took a real long and expensive looking vacation and put it up on fb and instagram, but claim that was their own non-donated money.

Either way it affirms my belief in not getting emotional and contributing to these gofundmes. 

any idea as to the legalities? seems that a person starting a go fund me is legally responsible to turn the money over, in its entirety, at some point...I wonder how clearly this is spelled out. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

While a homeless veteran was living on the streets, a New Jersey couple who had raised $400,000 from the public to help the man were holding onto the cash and taking lavish trips across the country.

Photos from the now-private or deleted Facebook and Instagram pages of Kate McClure and boyfriend Mark D'Amico show the couple in Grand Canyon, Disneyland, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and in the audience of the "Ellen" TV show.

The couple told the Philly.com in a story published last week, and on "Megyn Kelly Today" on Monday, that they used their own money to go on the trips. But the couple has not made public any financial statements or records that account for the money. D'Amico has admitted to using $500 of the money meant for Bobbitt to gamble, but said he had permission and he repaid it.

Now Bobbitt is taking the couple to court. Attorneys for Bobbitt on Tuesday filed for an injunction in Superior Court in Burlington County to stop the couple from using the remaining funds, Philly.com reported. The lawsuit accuses the couple of using the "GoFundMe account as their personal piggy bank to fund a lifestyle that they could not otherwise afford."

The court document calls the couple's actions "malicious and outrageous and warrants the imposition of punitive damages."

GoFundMe last week said it is investigating the fundraiser.

Neither McClure nor D'Amico could be reached for comment Tuesday.

RIP Innis - April 9th 2012 - you always be in my heart. :)

MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. – A couple who raised more than $400,000 for a homeless man after he used his last $20 to fill up the gas tank of a stranded motorist in Philadelphia must now turn over what’s left of the cash.

A New Jersey judge issued the order Thursday during a hearing on the lawsuit brought by Johnny Bobbitt, who worries Mark D’Amico and Katie McClure have mismanaged a large part of the donations raised for him on GoFundMe.

This photo taken Aug. 15, 2018, shows Johnny Bobbitt Jr., the homeless veteran who gave $20 for gas for Kate McClure, back on the streets with his brother. Bobbitt, who helped a stranded motorist in Philadelphia, said he is panhandling once again and using drugs, and he has no access to the money raised on his behalf. He gained worldwide attention when he used his last $20 to fill up the gas tank of stranded motorist Kate McClure in November 2017.
This photo taken Aug. 15, 2018, shows Johnny Bobbitt Jr., the homeless veteran who gave $20 for gas for Kate McClure, back on the streets with his brother. Bobbitt, who helped a stranded motorist in Philadelphia, said he is panhandling once again and using drugs, and he has no access to the money raised on his behalf. He gained worldwide attention when he used his last $20 to fill up the gas tank of stranded motorist Kate McClure in November 2017. 

The couple deny those claims, saying they’re wary of giving Bobbitt large sums because they fear he would buy drugs.

Bobbitt gained worldwide attention when he used his last $20 to buy fuel for Katie McClure when she ran out of gas in November 2017.

The judge ordered the couple to transfer the money into an escrow account by the end of business Friday and hire a forensic accountant to review the financial records within 10 days.

RIP Innis - April 9th 2012 - you always be in my heart. :)

8 mins ago, MikeMc said:

been working 13 hour days all week. No idea what's going on in the world. See about 10 minutes of news in the morning and that's been it. 

This is an old story with new updates on the law suit. I work 15 hour days and don't have FB. C'mon, you can do better than that. 

:violin: