ctstriper

Easy Cuttyhunk for the Senior Fisherman

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

OK, I did my research under old topics on Cuttyhunk.   We are heading up the last week of September We are all set with the water taxi, have the wives making sure we have the meals and we have accommodations, (The old coast guard building near the dock I am told) and a golf cart.

My buddy and I will hopefully be able to leave the wives for a few hours of fishing a couple of times a day.   We are no longer rock hoppers are even of a youthful age.( We don't have one foot in the casket either).     Based on my research I have read about the boulders etc.  and yet have seen some videos of area’s that don’t look to difficult to fish.Have no clue where they are on the island   We don’t need a 40lb memory but schoolie bass would make our day.  We will have 10 foot surf rods with heavy braid as well as some light tackle outfits.  (Assume us to be novice surf jocks compared to all you pro’s on this site. We fish mainly from our boats). 

1. So, with that said, and without putting the fear of god into us by saying Cuttyhunk is for the young and boulders are as big as the two-story building, what and where would the three easiest places to fish be.   We will have our corkers and waders but really don’t plan on wading beyond our ankles.
  2. Also, what can we expect fishing to be the last week of September?  Blues, Bass, Albies?
  3. Recommendations for a ½ day   charter for the two of us? 

Thanks for your help on this issue.

Not familiar with the island. I've only been there a few times on none fishing excursions (hopefully change that this fall). 

That said google earth is your friend. Not only can you scout an ariel view of where you will hope to fish, you can also look for underwater boulders, bars, dropoffs etc and focus your efforts accordingly. 

Before fishing any new shore locations I always scout ariel views and satellite maps and plan Accordingly.

Screenshot_20180831-010925_Maps.jpg.10e2d5cf21621986de7565c2b85d23e2.jpg

If you plan on surf fishing plan on walking everywhere. There are really no other ways of getting to surf spots unless you have a golf cart or ATV. I fished this island for the first time in my mid 50s but was somewhat in shape. It was a great place to surf fish but I sweated a lot. You will be going at a great time. September is the best time to fish there for bass in my opinion. I would plan on traveling light and use a wet suit instead of waders.. Fishing with a wet suit is much more comfortable than trudging around in waders. I didn't swim to rocks either just waded the shoreline and the wetsuit worked out great. Take a few SS darters, SS needles, loaded Red fins, BM dannies and a few other of your favorites. If you fish live eels or rigged eels by all means take those. If you plan on fishing during the days do bring a  couple of pencil poppers but take a handful of white lead headed buck tails in 1 oz. to  1 1/2 oz. However, don't burn yourself out fishing during daylight hours if your main goal is to fish after dark. Daytime fishing the island can be good during the light of day but you'll do much better after dark. As Sandbar recommended, look at google maps and check out the terrain. Then while on he Cutty reconnoiter as much of the island as you can during daylight hours and plan a night time return. Most of the surf fishing occurs on the south and south west sides of the island but the entire place is suspect especially during the fall. Good luck.

PS; I forgot to tell you to wear studded boots with your wet suit and/or waders. The wading out at Cutty is tough and studded (with felt soles) boots are a must. Also, travel light when you go out fishing as I recommended but always carry a water bottle with you.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

1. Since you are staying by the docks, the beach area and that whole northern tip (to the east of the inlet) is pretty easily accessible and not a far walk (barges beach).  You can also take the walk down the road North and west and enter at churches beach and can walk around that side all the way to the inlet (if you want).

2.  Bass but you may see Albies

3.  Capt Duane Lynch, seahawk charters

In terms of simpler placed to fish on Cutty without doing a ton of rockhopping; there are only a few that meet that criteria.  2 are in close proximity to your lodging.  The third i'll let you find through your own research. 

For plugs, I would bring loaded redfins, SS darters, surface needles, 2oz mag darter, metal lips and sluggos. 

Don't forget the Albie gear.... you never know. 

That soft sand beach across the street from the ferry landing is easy fishing and usually holds plenty of school bass. You can easily access the Boulder fields behind the bass club from there if you’re feeling adventurous. You don’t really have to wade there if it’s high tide. 

Church’s is always good. It’s usually a mix of small-keeper sized fish with an occasional cow. It’s rock but not nearly as bad as the south side. And you don’t need to wade here. There is also soft sand here which also fishes well just on the edge of the rocks. 

The plugs mentioned above is all you really need. I also like pencil poppers and live or rigged eels on cutty. 

Churches beach,  or behind the club - go left for barge and sandy areas or right for easy to negotiate boulder fields up to cove.  The pyramids are a 20 min walk but fairly easy fishing. Bring plenty of water and a couple of lights ( never know when you'll need a backup ). Pencils and polaris' at sunrise and sunset, needles and metal lips at night. Skin plugs often produce when others won't.

In terms of gear, bring a simple maintenance kit for your reels just in case. I would definitely recommend a wetsuit although it is not a necessity. Dannys and darters work great, but the island is known for its needle-loving bass. If all else fails, the bass are trained there to hit white 9" sluggos, its kind of ridiculous. Easiest fishing is on either side of Churches beach (the long sandy bar facing Horseneck beach). I have caught many 40" bass during the day so dont let the light discourage you, but nighttime is always better. The Sound side of Canapitsit behind that one house there is usually great, as is the pyramids on the west end (and while youre there you should check out the cut that flows out from the saltwater pond, sometimes the bass sit right there and feast.) For a charter, I recommend Russel Wright with Lisa G charters, hes a blast to fish with and will put you on the fish. If the albies are around, he'll find them. He does more casting than the other guys. Enjoy the peace and quiet out there

13 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

That soft sand beach across the street from the ferry landing is easy fishing and usually holds plenty of school bass. You can easily access the Boulder fields behind the bass club from there if you’re feeling adventurous. You don’t really have to wade there if it’s high tide. 

Church’s is always good. It’s usually a mix of small-keeper sized fish with an occasional cow. It’s rock but not nearly as bad as the south side. And you don’t need to wade here. There is also soft sand here which also fishes well just on the edge of the rocks. 

The plugs mentioned above is all you really need. I also like pencil poppers and live or rigged eels on cutty. 

Matt: my dad, frazerp on here got into a serious car accident tonight will not be able to meet you for the Kennedy Fisher rod tomorrow, sorry to break into thread here but I don’t have enough points to message direct. 

5 hours ago, bran_dj said:

Matt: my dad, frazerp on here got into a serious car accident tonight will not be able to meet you for the Kennedy Fisher rod tomorrow, sorry to break into thread here but I don’t have enough points to message direct. 

Oh jeez!! So sorry to hear! Give him my best.