flyangler

De Blasio: Progressive Wave Is Just Dems 'Acting Like Real Democrats'

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Can someone remind me who here said that AOC was a flash in the pan and not really "the future of the Democratic Party"? I believe the argument was that the Democrats have not versed further Ledt and the Media and the Right were just making it seem that way. I guess De Blasio did not get the talking points memo. 

De Blasio: Progressive Wave Is Just Dems 'Acting Like Real Democrats'

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said of his party's midterm direction -- including primary wins for some progressive candidates who weren't backed by the Dem establishment -- that "what Democrats are doing this year are more and more is acting like real Democrats."

De Blasio said that was behind Andrew Gillum's surprise win for the gubernatorial nomination in Florida and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's House primary win.

"I think you see something happening all over the country, and the reason I say that is I think that is the pertinent reality is what's going to move people in their hearts emotionally to come out and vote," de Blasio told MSNBC this morning. "That energy is on the Democratic and on the progressive side right now, and that's what I think can't be tracked. You know, polling's not picking it up; the reality of turnout is something that is beyond the reach of traditional polling to analyze."

"And we keep getting surprised, we keep seeing things happen that were not predicted and I think you're going to see a lot more of that in November. You certainly saw it last November, Virginia is a great example in the House of Delegates," he added. "This is going to be an extraordinary change election, in my view, and things are happening in the grassroots that none of the experts know the pundits can possibly see."

The mayor argued that "the change is happening, it's profound... you can see that when the progressive candidate does get the Democratic nomination, the kind of energy it can create among a whole swath -- electric -- including younger voters, who we must get involved."

"And that's a bipartisan statement, but I'll speak as a progressive and as a Democrat -- younger voters are going to be the difference-makers. We've seen it all ready, we saw it Nov '17, how a lot of younger voters engaged in states including Virginia ... choosing to run to is another big 'x' factor, more and more younger candidates," de Blasio continued.

Still, de Blasio has not yet made an endorsement for progressive challenger Cynthia Nixon over New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

"But I want to say there's no question in my mind Cynthia Nixon is an extraordinary human being, an activist who's made a huge impact, particularly in terms of education and fairness for our children," he added after saying he's still reviewing any potential endorsement.

He branded some of Cuomo's counterpoints in Wednesday night's debate "a littler desperate, honestly."

"This race is unpredictable here in New York," de Blasio said. "There's a lot going on the ground and there's a lot of people who are thinking very independently, and anyone who thinks that they know where this is going is not watching what is happening in current politics."

It seems Tom Steyer agrees with De Blasio:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/andrew-gillum-and-the-extent-of-the-progressive-revolution

Andrew Gillum and the Extent of the Progressive Revolution

A few weeks ago, I met the liberal billionaire Tom Steyer at the W Boston hotel. Steyer has been playing a unique role in the midterm elections. He has been on a personal tour of the country, headlining rallies at which he lays out the case for impeaching Donald Trump (events at which he is regularly urged, from the crowd, to run for President). He has also pledged to spend thirty million dollars to help elect progressives, a sum that makes him the most significant Democratic donor in America. A San Francisco financier with a blue-blood Manhattan pedigree (Buckley, Exeter, Yale), Steyer has the tycoon’s habit of smiling broadly after he finishes speaking. As we spoke, Steyer kept returning to a point he makes often in public: that the Democratic Party is undergoing a profound generational change, and that he wanted to use his influence to help spur it along. I asked Steyer which politicians he believed represented this change, and he said, “Andrew Gillum.”

(snipped)

The article concludes:

Gillum’s campaign did not depend on a plan to transform the Democratic Party so much as a conviction that he could recognize what had changed within it. On Thursday, Politico reported that Gillum had taken in a last-minute windfall of six hundred and fifty thousand dollars—three hundred thousand from Steyer, two hundred and fifty thousand from Soros, and a hundred thousand from anonymous individuals “affiliated” with those two billionaires. Gillum had an idea of where the electorate was headed, but the primary required that they get there on a very particular schedule, by 7 P.M.this coming Tuesday. On the stump, Gillum mentioned that if he won the primary he would be “the first candidate of color ever to lead a major party in the state of Florida.” He said, too, that Florida should be governed again by “everyday people.” I remembered Gillum sitting in the back of the campaign bus, phone pressed to his ear, a donor talking on the other end.