instigator

VR50 vrs vsx150

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Whats your guys take on the VR's??? . I already have a vsx250 but wondering if i should just dish out extra money and get a 150vsx over the vr50? Gonna most likely be paired with a st croix 9 foot legend.  I mostly fish sandy beachs but sometimes jetties and bay area's

26 mins ago, instigator said:

Whats your guys take on the VR's??? . I already have a vsx250 but wondering if i should just dish out extra money and get a 150vsx over the vr50? Gonna most likely be paired with a st croix 9 foot legend.  I mostly fish sandy beachs but sometimes jetties and bay area's

Personally I like the vr50. I could not get used to the vsx150 for some reason. I had the Bailess so maybe I should have got the bailed. I just couldn’t understand why cause I like the Bailess zee25. Maybe I should have changed the knob or handle or something IDK. The best thing I can suggest is to try them both. Everybody is different. Go to a takcle shop and handle them both as I’m sure they will welcome you business with which ever you buy. Oh damn I forgot that’s if they have a 50 to look at. Maybe some body you know or are somewhat close to location wise that will let you see theirs. I would if your around my area. Your the only one that will know what you like.

Can’t go wrong with either but the 150 with the power knob is very sweet ... I prefer bailless version. The VR seems better suited for a 7-8 foot stick.

Edited by smellfish

I kind of regret getting rid of it without trying it with the power knob. Gotta try it out sometime. 

Ive been trying out the vr50 on the 10’ BH suzuki rod and I think it’s a nice set up so far I want to try it out on a 7’ St Croix but I haven’t yet. Probably nice as well.  

It may depend on the weight of the rod as opposed to the length. 

I sold my VR and bought a VSX instead.

First VR broke on day 1.  Pin popped out of main gear and blew up the oscillation track.  VS sends a new one.  Not waterproof, is full of water and isn't super smooth.  I packed it full of grease, fished it a few more times and sold it. 

They both have their own application ... you need to fully understand your application and make your decision accordingly. I really love my VS's and the Power knobs make them even better to me. If light weight is your thing the VR is for you ... the VS will take more punishment ... the weight loss comes from somewhere ... and I don't believe it's magic.

Edited by smellfish

No doubt the vsx is more tank like but that’s not to take away from the VR. They are both different. I haven’t had an issue with the VR yet. Others who probably use it more than me haven’t had an issue yet. I’ve heard stories about the vsx occasionally as well so none are full proof. Maybe you just had a bad make. The VR50 is a nice reel. 

That said the VSX like you said is built more sturdy. I would like to try it out with the power knob. Maybe I will like it better idk.

Guess we are not helping the OP. Like I said before everybody has their own preference. You can be the best judge for what you want. You’ll probably end up with both eventually. 

Edited by DaveBKNY

28 mins ago, smellfish said:

They both have their own application ... you need to fully understand your application and make your decision accordingly. I really love my VS's and the Power knobs make them even better to me. If light weight is your thing the VR is for you ... the VS will take more punishment ... the weight loss comes from somewhere ... and I don't believe it's magic.

The VS is a tank and overkill.  Not saying it’s a bad think. The weight difference is also what I like with the VR.  Even tho it’s lighter it’s more then enough for the surf guy.

I have a GSB (XS 101 MH) w/ a VSX 250.  It’s a bullet proof beast but I don’t use it that often as most of my fishing is in the bay (spring) and the Sound (summer/fall). Just got a VR 50 and fished it for the first time this morning. Wind was blowing hard and I was way out on the rocks. Reel got dunked and performed like a champ. Had a decent fish on my second or third cast and the reel performed flawlessly. For the type of fishing I do, I think it’s perfect. Right now I have it on a light 10 Ron Arra 1203-2 and it casted a mile. Will also be able to put it on my stouter 9’ Lami and it should serve me well. I’ll have to see how it holds up over time-but so far it’s been great. If I were fishing out front  and wanted something I could beat the crap out of, I’d go VSX, but I think the VR is a bit more versatile. 

Edited by jesgord

8 mins ago, jesgord said:

I have a GSB (XS 101 MH) w/ a VSX 250.  It’s a bullet proof beast but I don’t use it that often as most of my fishing is in the bay (spring) and the Sound (summer/fall). Just got a VR 50 and fished it for the first time this morning. Wind was blowing hard and I was way out on the rocks. Reel got dunked and performed like a champ. Had a decent fish on my second or third cast and the reel performed flawlessly. For the type of fishing I do, I think it’s perfect. Right now I have it on a light 10 Ron Arra 1203-2 and it casted a mile. Will also be able to put it on my stouter 9’ Lami and it should serve me well. I’ll have to see how it holds up over time-but so far it’s been great. If I were fishing out front  and wanted something I could beat the crap out of, I’d go VSX, but I think the VR is a bit more versatile. 

Yes, lots of guys would not say that. Most of the surf guys including myself stand on the beach, rocks or back bay and the reel is not getting dunk. What’s most important is this -  does the reel like sand ? That to me is question?  Answer is - yes.  Took me 4 years to like the VR.  The more I use it - I think it’s great. 

It is not that the VR can't handle big fish ... the drivetrain is solid ... the light weight comes from machining the walls thin ... thus it will not take the external punishment of banging it around as much as the VSX ... I believe originally the VR was marketed as a boat reel.

2 mins ago, smellfish said:

It is not that the VR can't handle big fish ... the drivetrain is solid ... the light weight comes from machining the walls thin ... thus it will not take the external punishment of banging it around as much as the VSX ... I believe originally the VR was marketed as a boat reel.

I agree but I drop VS USA made on rock and if it hits the back end.   It’s a goner. They crack at that spot.