KnewBee

Can't afford it

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Trump nixes "approved" federal employee annual pay raise.

“We must maintain efforts to put our nation on a fiscally sustainable course, and federal agency budgets cannot sustain such increases,” the president wrote in a letter to congressional leaders....

“Congress can and must stand up to the President and reject this assault on our federal workers by passing the 1.9 percent pay raise that the Senate approved on August 1,” Warner said in a statement."  Politico

Can't afford a pay raise for the 1.8 million federal employees (including Boarder Patrol and ICE) , but Farmers can get a bail out and we can proceed with "Space Force"

Are the priorities aligned?

Whataboutism  (same Politico article)

"....Under the Obama administration, civilian workers were subjected to multiple years of pay freezes as the federal government weathered the recession. Trump’s move is unexpected, though, in a soaring economy that surged 4.2 percent last quarter.   It’s the latest example of the Trump administration’s ongoing battle against government employee unions..."

So, when the economy was struggling along, froze pay raises.  Makes sense.  

If everything is going so swimmingly, why deny the approved pay raises?

V is for Vendetta...

I would agree with priorities not being aligned.

I would prefer he go through with the increase and offset it by telling each agency and department to find a way to cut extra staff.  We could probably easily drop 10 to 20 percent of the govt workers and not miss them at all.

But start with a 2 percent layoff.  

Agreed, give them the raise, but I say much more like a 5% cut to staff and other cost cutting measures.

Edited by Shipwreck

41 mins ago, KnewBee said:

Whataboutism  (same Politico article)

"....Under the Obama administration, civilian workers were subjected to multiple years of pay freezes as the federal government weathered the recession. Trump’s move is unexpected, though, in a soaring economy that surged 4.2 percent last quarter.   It’s the latest example of the Trump administration’s ongoing battle against government employee unions..."

So, when the economy was struggling along, froze pay raises.  Makes sense.  

If everything is going so swimmingly, why deny the approved pay raises?

V is for Vendetta...

Federal workers are useless. That is all.

why would a reasonabley bright individual want to work for the feds?

l is for lazy 

9 mins ago, twilson615 said:

Federal workers are useless. That is all.

why would a reasonabley bright individual want to work for the feds?

l is for lazy 

You obviously don't understand the importance of federal workers that make up the vast array of federal agencies.

I guess the VA Doctors, nurses, administrators, orderlies, X-Ray Techs, Physiologists, etc..  are all useless.

ICE agents are useless.

Boarder Patrol are useless.

TSA.

DHS

FBI

CIA

NSA

NASA

Our National Labs (Los Alamos, Dugway, Idaho National Lab, Aberdeen, etc...)  all useless for National defense.

Pentagon.

Crystal City.

Naval Observatory.

and the list goes on, and on, and on....

Yeah, all useless

Butthurt much?

they are overpaid and are free to leave for the private sector. Why would they not? 

The fbi... they are useless

the v a has been in shambles probably because of democrats 

oh tsa groping old women in airports... money well spent.

cia yeah they caused a lot of good things in Iraq. What do you think about their job leading up to 9 11 or before bush declared war?

nsa... yeah um the unmasking scandal. 

Dude your broken upstairs if you stand by your stupid ass rant. Apologize or defend those bums.

start with tsa being anything but useless pieces of filthy crap

2 mins ago, KnewBee said:

You obviously don't understand the importance of federal workers that make up the vast array of federal agencies.

I guess the VA Doctors, nurses, administrators, orderlies, X-Ray Techs, Physiologists, etc..  are all useless.

ICE agents are useless.

Boarder Patrol are useless.

TSA.

DHS

FBI

CIA

NSA

NASA

Our National Labs (Los Alamos, Dugway, Idaho National Lab, Aberdeen, etc...)  all useless for National defense.

Pentagon.

Crystal City.

Naval Observatory.

and the list goes on, and on, and on....

Yeah, all useless

I give you those, but is the second under secretary to the vice chairman of some office in the bowls of the Department of Education sorely going to be missed?

But it isn't government staff expenditures that are going to sink us, it will be Medicaid and Social Security. Those unfunded liabilities are gonna sting.

Trump recently had a big part of an Executive order overturned by a Philly Judge that dealt with weakening government unions, and limiting their scope.

This could be his get back at that swipe.

If Trump was even remotely concerned about fiscal sanity and sustainability he would not have signed the last budget.

This is a shot at government workers plain and simple.

17 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

If Trump was even remotely concerned about fiscal sanity and sustainability he would not have signed the last budget.

This is a shot at government workers plain and simple.

You will take a shot at trump every chance you get 

Just now, Gotcow? said:

Tell me I am wrong.

Were we threatened with a government shutdown? Did he say he was unhappy with having to sign it? 

I think you would bash him for the government shut down. We have people like beeman that thinks the feds are the driving force of the economy... I wonder if you share that sentiment