kroc

Red Tide Real Time Reports

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Thought it would be a good idea to start a  red tide thread.  My hope is our members will give real time reports of where the red tide is as observed firsthand.  Simply say where you were and what time and what you observed.  Feel free to give reports of red tide free beaches as well.

Got an email from FWC, that until further notice, all snook, trout and redfish caught in areas affected by the red tide are catch and release only (I think snook season was to open up very soon - maybe tomorrow????)

I didn’t notice the trout on the list too. Doesn’t matter to me, once I decide or feel it’s ok to get back out again it’s all catch and release only for months or longer. I won’t take any chances eating anything from our waters. 

3 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

once I decide or feel it’s ok to get back out again it’s all catch and release only for months or longer. I won’t take any chances eating anything from our waters. 

Smart thinking 

Thanks to those who posted reports.

9/3 report:  Madiera Beach area still looks good. Plenty of life out there, no evidence of red tide that I could see. 

Boca Ciega bay (S. Pasadena) area looked good as well.  Plenty of mullet jumping and dolphin activity.  Hopefully this tropical storm has some positive affects for SW FL.

This is not a firsthand report but it looks like dead fish are washing up on several Pinellas County gulf beaches.  It was only a matter of time.

Yes, a 20 mile stretch from Clearwater to St Pete’s beach today. Fish washed up. 

Wind shifted and its now out of the SW. It was only a matter of time. The fish that got pushed offshore are back onshore. 

Shouldn't they be posting no swimming signs on these beaches?  Seems there is a lot of denial and cover up going on.  Scooping up the dead fish doesn't mean the water is safe for swimming or even breathing the air.

10 mins ago, kroc said:

Shouldn't they be posting no swimming signs on these beaches?  Seems there is a lot of denial and cover up going on.  Scooping up the dead fish doesn't mean the water is safe for swimming or even breathing the air.

That’s for sure. 

They are worried about tourism 

6 hours ago, kroc said:

Yeah the local news outlet is screaming red tide red tide and the city is scrambling to clean up the dead fish before the tourists see it.

Here in Pinellas County, SYMPTOMS of red tide are showing up from Pass a grill to Clearwater Beach. There are red tide in medium concentration up and down along Pinellas beaches. Dead fish flows in and dead fish flows out with the tidal flow. But just inside Fort Desoto, the water is clear of red tide and so far, the intracoastal are red tide free for now. And the entire Tampa Bay from Skyway and northward is free of red tide.

If you have a toxic atmosphere, no one will show. The tourism is the largest income of the area in SWFL. 

The big teller of the dont care attitude from our local officials is the lack of testing of air quality. The air quality bothers us the most, this is breathed in and attaches to your lungs. From there where does it go. I’ve seen some thoughts that because of the toxic level of the water and the wave action is what makes this same material air bound that the neurological side of it is not being discussed. We have been hearing Leukemia, Alzheimer’s, Lou Gehrig’s.  

It just sucks that this area which the reason for our living here is the outdoor use and water quality has gone down the toilet. We don’t a lot of hope that I’ll be out on the water any time soon.