NausetDog

Public boat launch near craigville Beach?

17 posts in this topic

I'm looking to fish the craigville beach area by boat this weekend. Can anyone provide any information as to the closest public boat launches with public parking for the area? I want to launch at first light

Mashpee public ramp off Great Neck Road is closer than Green Pond I think. Free parking. Also you can launch at Lewis Bay in Hyannis or Prince Cove in Marstons Mills and pay to park. But it sounds like it is albies you are after, so Mashpee would be your best bet. If that lot is full, try Ockway Bay just up Great Neck Road. Has a dirt lot and parking along Great Neck Road as well. 

Quick note.....entrance to Ockway was very shallow especially on moon tides.   It's been a while since I launched the kayak out of there but when I did around 4-5 seasons ago I remember that it was very shallow at low tide.   I saw a fairly large boat basically bottoming out and having tough return to port.   I lifted the Hobie Mirage Drive and paddled in.   

17 hours ago, capefish4231 said:

Mashpee public ramp off Great Neck Road is closer than Green Pond I think. Free parking. Also you can launch at Lewis Bay in Hyannis or Prince Cove in Marstons Mills and pay to park. But it sounds like it is albies you are after, so Mashpee would be your best bet. If that lot is full, try Ockway Bay just up Great Neck Road. Has a dirt lot and parking along Great Neck Road as well. 

Keep in mind that the parking for Great Neck Road in Mashpee Resident parking only in season.

The run from the mouth of Bass River[S.Yarmouth] is also a choice.Albies will show all along the southside.Seastate is a factor too.But you may not have to trailer all the way to Mashpee area.Just a thought.

The Mashpee ramp is residents only through Labor Day. I don't know if they ticket folks, but it's a definite possibility on a holiday weekend. I'd go to Bass River if I was a nonresident of Mashpee or Barnstable.

The Ockway Bay ramp is very shallow. I literally live two miles from there and never use it.

Green Pond is a good ramp but terrible parking. Unless you get there at zero-dark-thirty and get one of the two or three decent spots you can get parked in or wind up with broken tail lights, etc. It sucks.

Falmouth has a good ramp too, but I have never used it, only seen it. It's a tight little harbor, but I think there is a decent parking lot.

8 mins ago, cgg said:

The Mashpee ramp is residents only through Labor Day. I don't know if they ticket folks, but it's a definite possibility on a holiday weekend. I'd go to Bass River if I was a nonresident of Mashpee or Barnstable.

The Ockway Bay ramp is very shallow. I literally live two miles from there and never use it.

Green Pond is a good ramp but terrible parking. Unless you get there at zero-dark-thirty and get one of the two or three decent spots you can get parked in or wind up with broken tail lights, etc. It sucks.

Falmouth has a good ramp too, but I have never used it, only seen it. It's a tight little harbor, but I think there is a decent parking lot.

Chris,

Back in the day I used to put in in East Falmouth, what I believe was then Edward's Boat Yard, now Bosun's Boat Yard.    The street adjacent to the boat yard has a ramp at the end I believed was marked as a public put-in but I may be wrong.    This is the north end of Eel Pond / Waqoit Bay.

HT

2018-08-31_121945.jpg.19bc745764406baa1d6d063ca3e84798.jpg

15 hours ago, HillTop said:

Chris,

Back in the day I used to put in in East Falmouth, what I believe was then Edward's Boat Yard, now Bosun's Boat Yard.    The street adjacent to the boat yard has a ramp at the end I believed was marked as a public put-in but I may be wrong.    This is the north end of Eel Pond / Waqoit Bay.

HT

2018-08-31_121945.jpg.19bc745764406baa1d6d063ca3e84798.jpg

That's Child's River, I believe, and I always heard it was a poor, shallow ramp, but I do not know. I also know there was talk of redoing it the last few years, but I do not know if anything has been done. Worth checking out, though.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:11 PM, NausetDog said:

I'm looking to fish the craigville beach area by boat this weekend. Can anyone provide any information as to the closest public boat launches with public parking for the area? I want to launch at first light

Did  you get out? Any luck??

No albies. Caught a few stripes yesterday and took two friends out at 1st light today.  caught six or seven loaded mid-20s. One of my friends caught her personal best at 31 in

On 9/2/2018 at 5:25 PM, NausetDog said:

No albies. Caught a few stripes yesterday and took two friends out at 1st light today.  caught six or seven loaded mid-20s. One of my friends caught her personal best at 31 in

Just curious--Which ramp did you use and how was it?

5 hours ago, cgg said:

Just curious--Which ramp did you use and how was it?

Me too because if it's calm I'm going to launch in the area on Saturday and run around looking for Albies. I live in Sandwich so trust me I feel you when you say it sucks to have limited access - we have one ramp in town (canal) and I can't go there (13' whaler). 

ccg 

shore fishing for albies near Mashpee, Craigsville Beach and Pompanesset Beach

and South Cape Beach.

PM me to avoid spot burning.   I’m on the Cape til Friday.

Thanks