Dominic Iadicicco

Tica new Reels

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

after that POS  Taurus, i'll never own another tica reel in my life. 

Every Taurus I ever owned, 13 at one point/various sizes, was still better than my 1st Slammer III, which was replaced under warranty.  Jury is still out on the 2nd III.  Rinsed well, a little lube, disable the bail, keep it out of the sand, Taurus was/is still good to me.  Just my opinion.

1 min ago, HugeDinghy said:

I may have gotten a dud but it was a pos from day one. Went back to them twice and was still never reliable. 

And that's what I'm hoping my Slammer was.  Since then I got sucked in by Amazon pricing and bought my son one, haven't lined it yet.  Time will tell.  I've had a few ZB issues over time and one VS issue, I guess nothings perfect. 

6 hours ago, Dominic Iadicicco said:

I just found this.  Looks similar to an Okuma. It's the Tica Titan Claw.

Dom

TITANCLAW-TC300_1.jpg

sharp looking!

their caimens are solid,mine are still as smooth as butter they have a lot of miles on them.

maybe this new piece will be as good.

great to see them doing something up.

HH

22 hours ago, Darth Baiter said:

Every Taurus I ever owned, 13 at one point/various sizes, was still better than my 1st Slammer III, which was replaced under warranty.  Jury is still out on the 2nd III.  Rinsed well, a little lube, disable the bail, keep it out of the sand, Taurus was/is still good to me.  Just my opinion.

Someone gave me a slightly used Taurus 3000 about 12 years ago, still going strong with an occasional tear down. It's on an old 7' Fenglass rod from the 80's, gets a lot of use snagging bunker and heaving tins from a boat.

I have been researching this reel.  The 6.1 gear ratio is not available to US customers.  Most people have no use for the 7.2 version. Almost all the new reals made by TICA are not available to the US market. 

It's a shame.

Dom

Edited by Dominic Iadicicco

On 10/15/2019 at 8:08 PM, fvgourami3 said:

seen this exact reel labeled under different oem names. I’ll try to find some pics. One weird company out of Cali I can’t remember the name of.

On 10/15/2019 at 8:01 PM, Dominic Iadicicco said:

I have been researching this reel.  The 6.1 gear ratio is not available to US customers.  Most people have no use for the 7.2 version. Almost all the new reals made by TICA are not available to the US market. 

It's a shame.

Dom

Looks like Kastking and Piscifun may be using the same internals and components?

I picked up a Titanclaw off Ebay just to see it for myself. I got a Komodo 364 as well not long ago. It shouldn't be a surprise and should be expected but the Komodo is undoubtedly smoother and more refined lol:

The Titanclaw is notably louder when winding and doesn't have easy brake adjustments (just comes with plastic cap/bushings to insert or remove from the spool end). The free-spool leaves much to be desired but this could *perhaps* be resolved with higher quality bearings. I did a quick teardown (sorry, no pics unfortunately) and some areas were terribly over-greased. But the internal design at least of the [non-handle side] side-plate is strikingly similar to the Komodo. I didn't do a full teardown on the Komodo but looking at some teardown pics/videos it's actually not as robust on that side. It is tempting to get the bearing measurements to try overhauling those to see if it makes a difference with freespool but probably isn't worth the trouble. After removing excess grease (there was some that got on the bearings that I had to wipe off) and applying additional oil to the bearings, the TC does operate slightly smoother AFAIK. It seems like it'll be functional and am looking forward to trying it out.

Edited by TimS
Commercial links removed

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:25 PM, Dominic Iadicicco said:

I just found this.  Looks similar to an Okuma. It's the Tica Titan Claw.

Dom

TITANCLAW-TC300_1.jpg

I don't see why it would not be a solid reel,one would have to try one to know for sure.

HH