Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MiguelEastono

When to drag meat vs. jigging for fluke?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Other than the obvious times when the current just won't allow for standard bucktail jigging, are there any other situations where you intentionally opt for a more traditional bait dragging fluke rig? Like a lot of people I've almost exclusively been bucktailing with gulp when fluking the past few years, but I'm starting to wonder if I should broaden my horizons at certain times.

Bottom bait rigs usually present best with a stronger current.  

So it's an option, with that condition, to a chicken/popcorn rig with a bucktail or a bank sinker at the bottom,

Another option is to use the teaser bucktails above the bottom bait dragging rig.  The teasers can have Gulp, Gulp and bait, or just bait.  The movement will need to be changed as the bottom rig is the focus and should be moved in a slower up and down fashion to allow a lift off the bottom and a swaying up and down of the bait as the rig settles back to the bottom.

I usually fish in the order above because the rigs go from simpler to more complicated and the chicken/popcorn rigs have been very productive.

If I want to try and target real big fish, then I'll go to the bottom bait rig alone and use longer and multiple baits.  I've got some torpedo sinkers from Ocean Angler that I'm going to use on the Nantucket Shoals on Sat 09/01.  I saw a guy last year use similar, homemade sinkers, off of Noman's Island and he was able to hold bottom with about 1/2 the weight we needed using bank sinkers.  Also hoping to try out the CrazyGear Doormat Sliding Hook rigs I bought and the homemade ones I tied. 

+1 what Houdini said. 

If you are fishing in a group, each guy can take a different approach/color to see what’s working. Then lock in and catch. Do that until it drops off then reposition or reset with your different approaches and start again as the preference can change as the day wears on. 

Edited by hookmeup

last trip this past Friday saw an 8.0 on the old 8 pink 8 oz spro with nuke chicken gulp with a 7/0 octopus with a pink squid skirt and chartreuse gulp 24" above, teaser got the bite + 3 shorts. My wife got a 7 lb 12 oz on  a c bass rig with squid heads. Go figure! Last 3 trips everything over 7 was taken on 12" fluke strip with BIG peruvian , double hook rig with 2 blades n glow beads, no teaser.