eagle73

Berkley Big Game leader material

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I don't like using wire ever, although i do have some knotable wire  i want to try. When  i plug i don't like wire because i still think it hurts your hook up ratio sure there are times when it does not matter but when it does  im about  catching fish not holding on to lures for  the rest of my life.  this is crimped 80 lb mono with a clip. 

post-24820-0-88056500-1494898253.jpg

Edited by crazybellringer

Berkeley big game is usually available in tackle shops that have bulk spools that they spool smaller amounts off to the customer order and it’s available in a large range of strengths. It’s actually one of the limper types of heavy mono, which in my mind makes it more appropriate to the task of delivering a fly.

JC

The normal bulk big game is a bit different then the leader version. I've found the leader version to work better with the knots I use and find it to be overall better for my use.

berkley-trilene-big-game-50lb-monofilament-lines-500x500.jpg

big-game-leader-18.jpg

last year i lost a striper right after i hooked up because the fly slid off the clip so i no longer use them. I am still learning to check my fly every so often. 

2 hours ago, jabster said:

The normal bulk big game is a bit different then the leader version. I've found the leader version to work better with the knots I use and find it to be overall better for my use.

berkley-trilene-big-game-50lb-monofilament-lines-500x500.jpg

big-game-leader-18.jpg

that is exactly what I am trying to determine - whether to use the large mono spools or the 55 yard leader spool - thank you

Ok I appreciate it is not big game. Have you tried their XL clear mono. This makes into very  nice salt water leaders . It’s pretty clear strong and it knots very smoothly. They do the XT but this is stiffer and I don’t like it much.

You can buy in sensible sized spools and it is not costly.

Mike

Made a lot of tarpon leaders out of that Big Game leader material and it blood knots well and never let me down. Also use it for casting leaders when surf casting. XT may be stiffer but it is as tough as old boots and is my choice when fishing weedy/snaggy waters, like Big Game it breaks well above it's stated BS. 

2 hours ago, Heron25 said:

how does the thickness of the leader in 60 lb compare to the spool in 60 lb?  

They’re the same .030”

JC

I am not sure if there are differences in the products they sell on this side of the pond to the stuff they sell in the US, but over here in Europe the big spool stuff and leader materials have different breaking strains for the same diameter. For example the one I most often use is the 0,61mm(sorry guys for the metrics...) or .024"(if I got the conversion right) diameter one and it's marked 50lb in the big spool and 40lb in the leader version. Like said I prefer the leader version. It gives me more knot strength then the big spool version(which is pretty odd as it's marked at a lower breaking strain) and has been pretty much bullet proof so far. I use it for blue fin tuna and on other bigger game ventures when strength matters. It's very easy to pull straight and ties nicely. I use the big spool stuff for pike leaders and other stuff that are not so fussy about strength.  

Edit. after checking Berkleys US website there does seem to be a difference between products compared to the european site. On the US site the big spool versions and leader version seem to have somewhat the same breaking strain at the same diameter.

Edited by jabster

12 hours ago, JonC said:

They’re the same .030”

JC

Interesting.  Someone mentioned the leader was thicker material and I've heard that repeated elsewhere.