Jeddore

Cod jigging setup?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, jjdbike said:

What is your issues with top shot? 

JD

You bring up some excellent points, but as you have specific reasons for using a top shot, I have specifics for not using one...

• I fish on private boats 99% of the time, but have hit the Bunny Clark on occasion.  Therefore tangles in my life tend to be infrequent; there's not doubt that braid tangles are a royal PITA.  I understand some party boats ban it outright, as they probably should if find yourself on a Googan Gala.  Damn shame though, EVERY rod of mine, be it conventional or spinning, is now wearing braid...

• More importantly than stretch to protect soft mouths, I've found that when bait fishing for haddock, it's crucial to used a swiveled hook on the dropper loop.  This ensures that when the fish starts to spin, they don't get leverage to rip the hook out of their soft mouths.  With the swivel, the hook spins with them so you don't lose as many and not having a top shot lets you feel their signature "soft tap" as they grab the bait. 

• I use 80 lb mono leaders exactly for the abrasion resistance, as soon as I see it getting chafed, I'll retie it.  The overhand knot is "Shark Protection/Boulderfish Protection".  Don't want to lose any braid.  Up here there's always a chance that a tuna will grab your jig.  Because of that, I never use backing, my reels are 100% braid.  That extra line MIGHT give me an extra few seconds to fire up the engine and start chasing down my "sashimi for a month prize."

48 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

You bring up some excellent points, but as you have specific reasons for using a top shot, I have specifics for not using one...

• I fish on private boats 99% of the time, but have hit the Bunny Clark on occasion.  Therefore tangles in my life tend to be infrequent; there's not doubt that braid tangles are a royal PITA.  I understand some party boats ban it outright, as they probably should if find yourself on a Googan Gala.  Damn shame though, EVERY rod of mine, be it conventional or spinning, is now wearing braid...

• More importantly than stretch to protect soft mouths, I've found that when bait fishing for haddock, it's crucial to used a swiveled hook on the dropper loop.  This ensures that when the fish starts to spin, they don't get leverage to rip the hook out of their soft mouths.  With the swivel, the hook spins with them so you don't lose as many and not having a top shot lets you feel their signature "soft tap" as they grab the bait. 

• I use 80 lb mono leaders exactly for the abrasion resistance, as soon as I see it getting chafed, I'll retie it.  The overhand knot is "Shark Protection/Boulderfish Protection".  Don't want to lose any braid.  Up here there's always a chance that a tuna will grab your jig.  Because of that, I never use backing, my reels are 100% braid.  That extra line MIGHT give me an extra few seconds to fire up the engine and start chasing down my "sashimi for a month prize."

Thank you very much for the specific reply.

I really appreciate these type of specific talk and technique convo's. Great for thinking things through and considering other perspectives. It's the teacher in me.

Yes, all of my reels are loaded up with brain, no backing. I agree about the tuna. Also, I have all of my reels have carbon drags and I keep them serviced & in tip-top condition. I've seen enough people hook into tuna and heard about people hooking into barn door halibut that I want to increase  my odds as much as possible. I hooked a nice, but far from barn door, Hali last summer and it gave my reel all it could take, and it failed after I landed it, thank God not while I was fighting it. That was a bucket list fish for me. The other is a tuna, though I don't know if I'm physically up for it w/ my bad back. I've seen young, strong, experienced peeps get man-handled by giants, using ground fishing gear. 

I also agree with you on the swivel on the hooks. I buy open eye hooks and pinch them onto a quality swivel. I also see the trade of between the stretch and ease of untangling mono w/ the extra sensitivity of straight braid. To the point that if the boat is small and or has a light crowd, I'll forego the mono top-shot and just run straight braid w/ a light drag. 

Thanks again for the helpful discourse. Perhaps we'll see you on the Bunny. We'll be on the 1st extreme and marathon of the haddock season this April.

Tight lines!

JD

10 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Thank you very much for the specific reply.

I really appreciate these type of specific talk and technique convo's. Great for thinking things through and considering other perspectives. It's the teacher in me.

Tight lines!

JD

Feeling is mutual, always great to exchange ideas with folks who have been to this rodeo a few times.  One of my mantras has always been, "On the day I claim to know everything about fishing, I will have to retire from fishing because I'm too stupid to realize I know squat."

On 5/29/2019 at 4:00 PM, Baitbucket said:

Ive been eyeballing the beefier Acid wrapped jigging rods from Tsunami for about 100$. As soon as I can figure out what reel i want, i will most likely make a purchase. I bet these beefy Low profile reeks like the Lexas and Tanx would do well. 

Another thing to remember, the thinner the line you can get away with using the better as it creates less drag, reducing how quick the line scopes out, and allows you to use lighter jigs.

Baitbucket:

Those acid wrapped (spiral wrap) rods from Tsunami are excellent and I have 6 of them aboard my boat most of the time! You should consider for a reel either the Maxell 25 or The Tsunami Forged 12. Both hold plenty of 50 pound braid and balance well with the rod. Incredibly, you can get the Forged Reel for under $200.

One thing about the top shot though when you have those spiral wrapped rods;...the guides from the tip to the point where progress to the top (reel side) of the rod are very small and a uni/uni know will not go through. When I started using those rods as well as some other "concept rods", I had to learn fast how to perfect the "FG Knot". Once you figure out how to keep it locked, you will have no problems....

Good luck!

Posted (edited) · Report post

50 mins ago, MrHkr said:

Jason,

Are using the MH or heavy Tsunami slow pitch rods?

I'm using the TSSPJ-C761XH which is rated at 40 to 65 pound braid. 50 pound on it is "just right" and all you really need for cod, fluke, sea bass, blackfish and haddock which is all I use them for. They are also an "incredibly excellent" bargain compared to very similar rods (with fancy labels) I've seen and fished with. I even own one that costs more than twice the price and is about the same.

Very embarrassing....   

You couple that rod with a "Tsunami Forged 10"  (or a 12 if you need more capacity) and try to "find fault"!

Edited by jason colby

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi all,

went on the blackhawk cod fishing at the end of december. brought out a few different rods at different lengths including the ugly stik tiger 5’10”. After a few drifts, I knew this was not the one for party boat cod fishing and went to a 7’footer which definitely gives more line control. we started off using 16oz on a fast drift, and ended up being ok with 12oz at anchor at the end of the day. I think 7-8’ is the way to go for party boat cod fishing. never thought about using the slow pitch rods out there with that weight, they are fun to use, what is max weight you have experienced with that rod? 

Edited by jgfish123

On 1/18/2020 at 10:54 AM, jason colby said:

Baitbucket:

Those acid wrapped (spiral wrap) rods from Tsunami are excellent and I have 6 of them aboard my boat most of the time! You should consider for a reel either the Maxell 25 or The Tsunami Forged 12. Both hold plenty of 50 pound braid and balance well with the rod. Incredibly, you can get the Forged Reel for under $200.

One thing about the top shot though when you have those spiral wrapped rods;...the guides from the tip to the point where progress to the top (reel side) of the rod are very small and a uni/uni know will not go through. When I started using those rods as well as some other "concept rods", I had to learn fast how to perfect the "FG Knot". Once you figure out how to keep it locked, you will have no problems....

Good luck!

no no no on the Maxel 25 for cod. That reel isnt made for jigging anything over 8oz.  Many including myself had a/r failure first day I used it. Search on here.  I got mine fixed under warranty and sold it right away.  

On 1/17/2020 at 7:50 PM, Roccus7 said:

Four to Six ft 80 lb mono leader, forget the topshot.  Tie an overhand "safety break" knot in the leader for those snags you just can't get out or when a blue dog grabs your jig so the break is at the leader and you don't lose a lot of line.  The knot takes the 80 down to around a 50 lb breaking strength.

I have a 7' Ugly stick I bought at KTP and use this rig in 200 - 350' so we're talking 17 oz Norwegian jigs.  I used to use a Penn 4/0 Senator 113H, but am thinking about shifting over to a US Senator 4/0 with the narrow spool, 113N.

if you dont have the 113n yet let me know. I have one that was spooled and never fished. I had it for sale on here last year no hits I can repost it. 

33 mins ago, blacklabnh said:

no no no on the Maxel 25 for cod. That reel isnt made for jigging anything over 8oz.  Many including myself had a/r failure first day I used it. Search on here.  I got mine fixed under warranty and sold it right away.  

You may be very well right on the jigging issue but I wouldn't know as I'm fishing bait most of the time. I can tell you that the "Forged 10" is a very ballsy reel and I don't see how that can be an issue with a larger jig...

Wreck outfit ;

7.6 - 8’ FT rod  20-40 class 

40 # braid

TS 7’ 50# 

I use cork screw swivel 100# to expedite rig changes !

All rigs 50# main - twisted dropper to hooks

130# spring barrel on top slides right into corkscrew Or u can opt for Grand Banks hook snell ! Whichever make sure the hooks stand off so don’t tangle on drop or in a strong current .

Bottom 3’ rig , I surgeons loop a piece of 30# leader for sinker , if caught this will save your rig !

if you choose to jig over a wreck , tend bottom reel up a few feet then jig , otherwise you may be in for a long day of snags ! Open bottom you can be in touch if not to sticky !

Jig weights depending on depth / current , I use 6-10 Oz on any given day ! 

On 18/01/2020 at 5:04 PM, jason colby said:

I'm using the TSSPJ-C761XH which is rated at 40 to 65 pound braid. 50 pound on it is "just right" and all you really need for cod, fluke, sea bass, blackfish and haddock which is all I use them for. They are also an "incredibly excellent" bargain compared to very similar rods (with fancy labels) I've seen and fished with. I even own one that costs more than twice the price and is about the same.

Very embarrassing....   

You couple that rod with a "Tsunami Forged 10"  (or a 12 if you need more capacity) and try to "find fault"!

With that setup using bait what's the heaviest sinker you would use?

8 hours ago, Jeddore said:

With that setup using bait what's the heaviest sinker you would use?

I have fished with "up to" 20 ounces of lead but I regularly fish 8-10 ounces. The set up is, light, strong, reliable and not too expensive.

Good luck!

• Avet MXJ with 65lb braid and 60# 25' topshot looped to jig with two dropper loops above on a 6'6" Shimano Tallus rod
  • Seigler SG with 50lb braid and 25' 50# topshot with same dropper loops as above and another but lighter 6'6"  Shimano Tallus.

No cod because it's closed but I do use those setup for pollock and haddock in 200+ feet of water.

Jigs up to 20oz even with the braid if the tide is running hard over the ledge.  I also keep the line a little heavier because I do this on party boats and the thicker line is easier to handle - same with the short top shots.

Just picked up a Shimano Torium 16pg. Was recomended by a friend that fishes hard and knows what we like about reels. I was looking  for star drag,bigger than my SX's , power handle, major brand, lower gear ratio, and cheap. Think I am going to be real happy with it. $190.00 bucks on the bay place with tax. I would check it out.