Jeddore

Cod jigging setup?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hello i was looking for input if anyone has used the uglystik tiger elite casting rod 5'10 heavy 6 - 10 oz 80 - 130 for jigging cod. I was thinking of pairing with a Torium 16 or 20 and mostly use it between 50 and 150 feet with 8oz Norwegian jigs and or 8oz bell sinker/ bait.

I have a penn rampage 6'6 rampage jigging/casting set up. Comfortable with backbone but a soft enough tip to work jigs well and sensative to feel small taps. Same price point, can't speak on the reel. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Personally, I don't like ugly stiks. Not even the tiger rods. 5'10 is a small rod for cod jigging but it will still work. I like a 6'6" to 7' rod to get a high lift. Let it flutter down. They like to hit when it drops. High gear ratio reel. 65lb or 80lb braid. 8oz jig is good. I use 6oz when the current allows. 10oz or 12oz if it's ripping. With braided line the days of 20oz Norwegian jigs are long gone unless you are fishing really deep and drifting. A teaser above the jig helps. 80lb mono leader. 60lb is fine too.

Edited by GooganFish

I don't like ugly sticks eaither.

Since I generally cod fish from large party boats, I like a longer rod for jig & line control 7 - 8'. 

I prefer a slower gear ratio. My two faves are my pimped Newels and older style silver Diawa Saltiga. Braid to top shot. The test depends on depth and size of fish. For shallow jigging for smaller fish I like to go lighter, e.g. 40 lb braid. For deeper w/ potential for larger fish, including pollack, I go to 50-60 lb braid w/ 50lb topshot.

I use cripped herring, hammered diamonds and norwegian style jigs w/ either a rubber twist tail grub or a cod fly as a teaser.

Yo-Yo bottom pounding or squiding.

If you're tageting haddock it's a different technique to keep jig closer to bottom.

Hope this helps.

JD