Jeddore

Cod jigging setup?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Hello i was looking for input if anyone has used the uglystik tiger elite casting rod 5'10 heavy 6 - 10 oz 80 - 130 for jigging cod. I was thinking of pairing with a Torium 16 or 20 and mostly use it between 50 and 150 feet with 8oz Norwegian jigs and or 8oz bell sinker/ bait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a penn rampage 6'6 rampage jigging/casting set up. Comfortable with backbone but a soft enough tip to work jigs well and sensative to feel small taps. Same price point, can't speak on the reel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I don't like ugly stiks. Not even the tiger rods. 5'10 is a small rod for cod jigging but it will still work. I like a 6'6" to 7' rod to get a high lift. Let it flutter down. They like to hit when it drops. High gear ratio reel. 65lb or 80lb braid. 8oz jig is good. I use 6oz when the current allows. 10oz or 12oz if it's ripping. With braided line the days of 20oz Norwegian jigs are long gone unless you are fishing really deep and drifting. A teaser above the jig helps. 80lb mono leader. 60lb is fine too.

Edited by GooganFish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like ugly sticks eaither.

Since I generally cod fish from large party boats, I like a longer rod for jig & line control 7 - 8'. 

I prefer a slower gear ratio. My two faves are my pimped Newels and older style silver Diawa Saltiga. Braid to top shot. The test depends on depth and size of fish. For shallow jigging for smaller fish I like to go lighter, e.g. 40 lb braid. For deeper w/ potential for larger fish, including pollack, I go to 50-60 lb braid w/ 50lb topshot.

I use cripped herring, hammered diamonds and norwegian style jigs w/ either a rubber twist tail grub or a cod fly as a teaser.

Yo-Yo bottom pounding or squiding.

If you're tageting haddock it's a different technique to keep jig closer to bottom.

Hope this helps.

JD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2018 at 0:18 PM, Jeddore said:

Hello i was looking for input if anyone has used the uglystik tiger elite casting rod 5'10 heavy 6 - 10 oz 80 - 130 for jigging cod. I was thinking of pairing with a Torium 16 or 20 and mostly use it between 50 and 150 feet with 8oz Norwegian jigs and or 8oz bell sinker/ bait.

In a 150 feet with any kind of a tide/current running you're going to need more than 8 oz worth of jig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been eyeballing the beefier Acid wrapped jigging rods from Tsunami for about 100$. As soon as I can figure out what reel i want, i will most likely make a purchase. I bet these beefy Low profile reeks like the Lexas and Tanx would do well. 

 

Another thing to remember, the thinner the line you can get away with using the better as it creates less drag, reducing how quick the line scopes out, and allows you to use lighter jigs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2018 at 5:15 AM, jjdbike said:

I don't like ugly sticks eaither.

Since I generally cod fish from large party boats, I like a longer rod for jig & line control 7 - 8'. 

I prefer a slower gear ratio. My two faves are my pimped Newels and older style silver Diawa Saltiga. Braid to top shot. The test depends on depth and size of fish. For shallow jigging for smaller fish I like to go lighter, e.g. 40 lb braid. For deeper w/ potential for larger fish, including pollack, I go to 50-60 lb braid w/ 50lb topshot.

I use cripped herring, hammered diamonds and norwegian style jigs w/ either a rubber twist tail grub or a cod fly as a teaser.

Yo-Yo bottom pounding or squiding.

If you're tageting haddock it's a different technique to keep jig closer to bottom.

Hope this helps.

JD

How long leader or topshot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

24 mins ago, Olddrum said:

How long leader or topshot?

Four to Six ft 80 lb mono leader, forget the topshot.  Tie an overhand "safety break" knot in the leader for those snags you just can't get out or when a blue dog grabs your jig so the break is at the leader and you don't lose a lot of line.  The knot takes the 80 down to around a 50 lb breaking strength.

 

I have a 7' Ugly stick I bought at KTP and use this rig in 200 - 350' so we're talking 17 oz Norwegian jigs.  I used to use a Penn 4/0 Senator 113H, but am thinking about shifting over to a US Senator 4/0 with the narrow spool, 113N.

Edited by Roccus7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Four to Six ft 80 lb mono leader, forget the topshot.  Tie an overhand "safety break" knot in the leader for those snags you just can't get out or when a blue dog grabs your jig.  The know takes the 80 down to around a 50 lb breaking strength.

 

I have a 7' Ugly stick I bought at KTP and use this rig in 200 - 350' so we're talking 17 oz Norwegian jigs.  I used to use a Penn 4/0 Senator 113H, but am thinking about shifting over to a US Senator 4/0 with the narrow spool, 113N.

Nice. I prefer the Dawia BG For spinning and the TORIUM PGA for Conventional but i do have 2 TLD25S as trolling setups/bottom fishing. Are COD line shy and finicky, Flouro leader or just plain Mono?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cod aren't the smartest fish on the Admiral's Fried Fish Platter.  No need for fluorocarbon.  

 

Honest to Fishnu story.  I bet 1/2 the time you get a hit jigging and quickly drop a fish, it will come right back and grab the jig again.  Was fishing with the older brother of a highly regarded fishing author from LI and he had a quick hookup, but dropped the fish.  I told him to get the jig back down STAT because it'll come back and it did.  When he brought the fish in, the jig hook was in the left side of the mouth, BUT there was a fresh gash on the fish's right cheek!!  We were using single hook jigs so that gash was what happened the first time...

Edited by Roccus7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Four to Six ft 80 lb mono leader, forget the topshot.  Tie an overhand "safety break" knot in the leader for those snags you just can't get out or when a blue dog grabs your jig so the break is at the leader and you don't lose a lot of line.  The knot takes the 80 down to around a 50 lb breaking strength.

 

I have a 7' Ugly stick I bought at KTP and use this rig in 200 - 350' so we're talking 17 oz Norwegian jigs.  I used to use a Penn 4/0 Senator 113H, but am thinking about shifting over to a US Senator 4/0 with the narrow spool, 113N.

I agree with you in that I enjoy using a narrow spool over a wide one.

What is your issues with top shot? I would agree they are an extra step. I would also agree that  with a top-shot one might need more weight due to the added water resistance which can sometimes make them not worth any potential benefit.

I like top-shots because I am usually cod fishing on a large party boat and a tangle in mono is much easier to deal with than a tangle in braid. Also, I like the added stretch to minimize dropping fish. Finally, more often than not these days, when I am ground fishing, haddock are main catch and they have soft mouths, which again, helps limit dropping fish.

The alternative to top shot on a smaller less crowded boat (e.g. Bunny Clark vs Voyager), is setting the drag pretty light.

Also, do you like the 80 lb mono for abrasion resistance over 50 lb, since that is the breaking strength that you seem to like. 

JD

Edited by jjdbike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.