tnetherc

NH Recent Report

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Haven’t heard many reports about NH stripers recently. I haven’t been out for more than an hour or two over the last couple weeks so I’m just wondering how things have been. How has the river, beaches/shores and anywhere else been?

I was up around Little Bay in my kayak the other night and only caught schoolies, but I did mark what appeared to be some larger fish, I just couldn't get them to bite.

Schoolies in Little Bay for me too, saw some much larger fish blow up some bait but it was in a spot that was too shallow for us to get into. Still really fun to watch...

I have been out quite a few days just after daybreak in Hampton, top end of Little Bay and at Odirione Point and haven't had a bite. Throwing mainly clousers of various colors. Obviously time for something new!

Edited by Rick Augustine
Misspell

1 hour ago, Rick Augustine said:

I have been out quite a few days just after daybreak in Hampton, top end of Little Bay and at Odirione Point and haven't had a bite. Throwing mainly closers of various colors. Obviously time for something new!

Damn...………...

I struck out around Odiorne Saturday morning. Saw/heard some fish going after small bait (rain bait or something similar). I just didn’t have anything small enough to match that. 

I’ve never fished the fall run up this way  but plan to this year, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to DM. 

Odiorne 2 weeks ago my son threw the kitchen sink on spinning gear and struck out, and the only fly I could get eats on was a #2 epoxy fly 2 1/2 - 3" long white with tan on top...

I've had luck with these 3.5" YUM minnows on a small 1/4 oz jig head when it seems all they want are the smaller bait. A small Storm sand eel works as well.

Edited by drmevo

22 hours ago, stripedbassking said:

Lotta tuna NH/Mass border, not bass but cool to see busting out of the water!

yeah had one on for 4 or 5 minutes on Monday while bass fishing. Hoping to get one tomorrow on heavier gear.

On 9/7/2018 at 2:30 PM, blacklabnh said:

yeah had one on for 4 or 5 minutes on Monday while bass fishing. Hoping to get one tomorrow on heavier gear.

Nice yeah I heard they’re stacked pretty good out there!

I was out this morning in my kayak and didn’t see a single pogie school between Little Harbor and Rye Harbor. Have they left? Didn’t catch or mark many bass out front and there were a lot of seals. I caught a decent amount schoolies in the harbor and back channel with the biggest about 25” or 26”. I thought today would be ideal conditions but it’s hard to come by big bass.

Left rye Harbor at 3:15 am yesterday and ran east of the isles of shoals looking for surface feeding tuna with heavy spin gear. Found shearwaters working but didnt see any tuna. We jigged some Ron Z's for awhile and then decided to head in and look for the pogies north of Rye Harbor. After not finding any we ran south 10 miles and found a fleet of 30 or so boats including a whale watching boat or two on the pogies. Couldnt get a bite with all the traffic but stuck around and glad we did. The wind laid down and the fish started eating. It was like a natural geographic episode with whales feeding and bass pushing pogies harder than I have seen all year and only 5 boats on them. We didn't keep count but I would safely say we released 20-25 fish from 34"-39".  A nice woman in a 15ft whaler who saw us bailing them asked some advice which we gladly gave her and she snapped . About 20 minutes later I hear a cheer (and a whale hadn't surfaced) so I was hoping she had caught a fish which she had :)   

DSC_7060.JPG

IMG_1734.JPG

Edited by blacklabnh