VanStaalSteve

SS bottle rigging

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

About 4 or 5 years ago I started a thread concerning how you folks out there rig up the Super Strike Darter. There were a lot of interesting ideas and opinions. The thread went on for sometime. This time I’m looking for how you surf casters rig up the SS bottle. I like two 3/0 VMC trebles with quality split rings like Owner. Or, a 3/0 vmc and split on the belly and a 5/0 VMC Siwash dresses with either feathers or sparse bucktail. What do you guys use. 

5A4FA627-9380-4EEE-8B56-CB4D119314B7.jpeg

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the setup on the one on top. Thats what I do with mine. I liked the swim on the older ones over the newer version with rattles. Some may no agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, redfin said:

I like the setup on the one on top. Thats what I do with mine. I liked the swim on the older ones over the newer version with rattles. Some may no agree. 

I prefer the old  non rattle ones also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazybellringer said:

geeez i just take them out of the package and use them.  I have replaced hooks but usually just the same size as whats on them. 

This is true but I do like to get better hooks on them. I do prefer gibs but these are bulletproof. I like the old ones with out rattles myself but I’ve had luck with the new ones with rattles in some situations. A hard pump of the rod on the start of the retrieve will get the attention of a fish a lot of times.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

952d0303_IMG_1492.jpeg2cf00b8e_IMG_1689.jpeg

 

this is an awesome bottle plug made by a builder here.  I don't have any older suoperstrike bottle i just have new ones. for the longest time i just used this one.  Now i pretty much have the yellow and white ss darter with me at all times even in the dark  I might take it over this plug. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the 3/0 vmc with a split on belly and 5/0 siwash with sparse hair on the back.  I prefer less trebles when possible, and the fish tend to get that back treble in eye or head.  If blues are around i hate 2 trebles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

because of the conditions im usually throwing a bottle or BD, I prefer a treble on the back...although I do rig some of both with a single on the back for less stereotypical bottle plug/ bottle darter waters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

geeez i just take them out of the package and use them.  I have replaced hooks but usually just the same size as whats on them. 

Me too.  I think when replacing the originals, I have put a dressed siwash on the back....but other than that, I have never really found a need to change things up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jesgord said:

Me too.  I think when replacing the originals, I have put a dressed siwash on the back....but other than that, I have never really found a need to change things up.

Out of the package is doable too but a long feather off the back can and does make a difference sometimes. Another SS plug this is true for is the littleneck popper. If you are not trailing a long feathered single hook off the back when swimming these up top you are really missing out on a very unique and deadly plug IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, redfin said:

Out of the package is doable too but a long feather off the back can and does make a difference sometimes. Another SS plug this is true for is the littleneck popper. If you are not trailing a long feathered single hook off the back when swimming these up top you are really missing out on a very unique and deadly plug IMO.

Thanks for the tip.  I've got various size siwash hooks and a bunch of saddle hackle at home.  Does long feather work better than a bucktail tail dressed hook? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jesgord said:

Thanks for the tip.  I've got various size siwash hooks and a bunch of saddle hackle at home.  Does long feather work better than a bucktail tail dressed hook? 

Feathers almost as long as the plug are what I like best. 5 inches  or so. On tin they can be a killer too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.