SS bottle rigging

Rate this topic

VanStaalSteve

About 4 or 5 years ago I started a thread concerning how you folks out there rig up the Super Strike Darter. There were a lot of interesting ideas and opinions. The thread went on for sometime. This time I’m looking for how you surf casters rig up the SS bottle. I like two 3/0 VMC trebles with quality split rings like Owner. Or, a 3/0 vmc and split on the belly and a 5/0 VMC Siwash dresses with either feathers or sparse bucktail. What do you guys use. 

5A4FA627-9380-4EEE-8B56-CB4D119314B7.jpeg

Edited by VanStaalSteve

1 hour ago, crazybellringer said:

geeez i just take them out of the package and use them.  I have replaced hooks but usually just the same size as whats on them. 

This is true but I do like to get better hooks on them. I do prefer gibs but these are bulletproof. I like the old ones with out rattles myself but I’ve had luck with the new ones with rattles in some situations. A hard pump of the rod on the start of the retrieve will get the attention of a fish a lot of times.   

I like the 3/0 vmc with a split on belly and 5/0 siwash with sparse hair on the back.  I prefer less trebles when possible, and the fish tend to get that back treble in eye or head.  If blues are around i hate 2 trebles.

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....

2 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

geeez i just take them out of the package and use them.  I have replaced hooks but usually just the same size as whats on them. 

Me too.  I think when replacing the originals, I have put a dressed siwash on the back....but other than that, I have never really found a need to change things up.

1 hour ago, jesgord said:

Me too.  I think when replacing the originals, I have put a dressed siwash on the back....but other than that, I have never really found a need to change things up.

Out of the package is doable too but a long feather off the back can and does make a difference sometimes. Another SS plug this is true for is the littleneck popper. If you are not trailing a long feathered single hook off the back when swimming these up top you are really missing out on a very unique and deadly plug IMO.

16 mins ago, redfin said:

Out of the package is doable too but a long feather off the back can and does make a difference sometimes. Another SS plug this is true for is the littleneck popper. If you are not trailing a long feathered single hook off the back when swimming these up top you are really missing out on a very unique and deadly plug IMO.

Thanks for the tip.  I've got various size siwash hooks and a bunch of saddle hackle at home.  Does long feather work better than a bucktail tail dressed hook? 

3 hours ago, jesgord said:

Thanks for the tip.  I've got various size siwash hooks and a bunch of saddle hackle at home.  Does long feather work better than a bucktail tail dressed hook? 

Feathers almost as long as the plug are what I like best. 5 inches  or so. On tin they can be a killer too.