flyrad10

Weedless Modification for Saltwater Flies

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Anyone have any photos, descriptions or SBS for effective weed guards which can be added to your favorite saltwater patterns. I am trying a roller weed guard using a small plastic bead at the end of a mono loop on a Gurgler and will report back on its effectiveness. Additionally IMHO now is the time to experiment with patterns that are effective on snappers and needlefish which are difficult to dupe with the explosion of bait we are seeing now and weed guards are also necessary since the ocean is a rich soup of sea grass, algae and bait. Good patterns can be scaled up for larger fish feeding on tremendous schools of anchovies, rainbait, sand eels and silversides.

16 mins ago, flyrad10 said:

Anyone have any photos, descriptions or SBS for effective weed guards which can be added to your favorite saltwater patterns. I am trying a roller weed guard using a small plastic bead at the end of a mono loop on a Gurgler and will report back on its effectiveness. Additionally IMHO now is the time to experiment with patterns that are effective on snappers and needlefish which are difficult to dupe with the explosion of bait we are seeing now and weed guards are also necessary since the ocean is a rich soup of sea grass, algae and bait. Good patterns can be scaled up for larger fish feeding on tremendous schools of anchovies, rainbait, sand eels and silversides.

nitinol wire works well.

takes a bit of practice but can be worked into flies easier i'd imagine than heavy mono. and it doesn't soften over time.

And if a fly gets shredded can be reused if needed

I tie up a bunch of albie/bonito flies each season with a mono weed guard. When there’s eelgrass or sargassum around these save the day. The guards hold up pretty well, but when they’re mangled beyond repair I just cut them off. 

5B5FF457-79C0-4EFD-A9C4-01F47BE41A8C.jpeg

For the places I've fished where I needed a weed guard, my preference has been for two types. One is like the two prong hard mono type that Conch27 shows in his second pic which has been good for hooks size 1 & smaller and the other type is a single strand stainless or tinned music wire folded over the hook point, similar to what Conch27 shows in his first pic. I've been using .015" stainless wire most, and that works well for hooks in the 1/0 to 5/0 size range. I have reversed the wire too on some flies, so that it results in a two prong guard that protects the point on each side. It takes less pressure to compress the wire on this type, but it can still snag if weeds get between the two prongs. Of course none of them are completely snag proof and if they are, they tend to also be fish proof too.