Borsig

Lures for OBX?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, Wheeler said:

How do you fish/retrieve a hopkins for drum?

I like to "swim" mine close to the bottom and a slow to moderate pace; bouncing them off the bottom every now and then

19 mins ago, Wheeler said:

This totally blows my mind. I am the extreme opposite. I'm a minimalist when it comes to fishing gear (though my wife would disagree). I like to have good quality gear, but only stuff I actually need/use on a regular basis and can carry easily. This would be too overwhelming to me.

I like to have options.

as for lugging all this around, I don't do that. it all fits into several plano boxes and I only take the boxes that I need for the trip I'm taking. if I'm going out to soak bait for the evening I don't take a single lure. like wise, if I'm taking my 10' lure throwin stick I take the metal and bucktails but leave the rest.

at the end of the day this has worked ok so far, and it makes me happy / comfortable to have it along.  I only get to fish a few weeks a year so I like to be prepared as the "ill get em next time" might be 6 months away. if I lived down there or closer and made it out more I doubt I would carry as much. own it sure, but I would carry even less

I do the same thing as you. Now I don't have nearly as much as you for salt water but it just depends on how I'm fishing for the day. Wife got me a nice bag that slings over one shoulder and holds 2 of those small Plano boxes. It has a few pockets to put the rest of the stuff in . Hang a short spike off of it. And it works great for working up and down the beach.

10 hours ago, BrianBM said:

What's the best time of year for Spanish mackerel from the shore? 

I hate to say this, but like other fish its water temp dependent. they like warm water and on top of that it has to be clear.  I hooked my first one several years ago in early June, but they are usually around from then until September.

Fair enuff, thank you. 

I would much rather cast lures for fish then soak bait.  The idea of walking around, slowly fishing a Hopkins jig for drum in the surf, has great appeal. I hope the Cape Hatteras Motel in Buxton survives Florence and is there when I get back.

Ironically, Hurricane Salt Tackle makes a Flutter Spoon and a Livewire Ripper up to 2oz.  I haven't tried them, but if I do, I will replace the hooks with VMC trebles.

11 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Fair enuff, thank you. 

I would much rather cast lures for fish then soak bait.  The idea of walking around, slowly fishing a Hopkins jig for drum in the surf, has great appeal. I hope the Cape Hatteras Motel in Buxton survives Florence and is there when I get back.

My buddy and I stayed there awhile back over MLK weekend, when we went down to visit a friend Mike Finnegan of Finnegans restaurant (he has since sold it). The place was right on the ocean, in fact you could fish right off the balcony. I remember when they were pulling sand from underneath from Isabel, there was a little bulldozer and the guy operating was killed when the sand that was supporting the building was removed. They didn't anticipate all the weight od the sand inside the rooms, and there was a partial collapse on the guy.

So I bought a few of the lead fish and I have a stingsilver now. And a silver hopkins.

If I wanted a gotcha for the pier - what color? I saw 3 packs of them for 10 bucks. Some silver, some gold some painted....

Gold, silver and electric chicken are my go tos. Depends on water clarity - just

My opinion though. Probably more important is tie it with a loop so it works how it's supposed to. 

On 9/12/2018 at 11:29 AM, BrianBM said:

Fair enuff, thank you. 

The CHM is alive and well.

White seemed to be the color of choice my last few times to Avon and Emerald Isle.  The head color didn't seem to matter.

Here is an easy loop knot.  Seems to work well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wife and I stay at the CHM every Sep.  They have done a lot of work to it in the last few years. We stay on the 3rd floor and the rooms are great. Little pricie. The beach is totally different now after the nurishment . It's somewhat of a bear to get to the water. Well that's close to what the wife said. Got skunked finding any flies out front, first time in 20 years. You need to either go way north or south of the jetties.  Still alot of fish in the surf though. I usually get out before daylight and work my way north of the hotel. I just make sure I get back in time to run down to the blossom for breakfast .

Edited by Dsc

3/4 oz gold hopkins or kastmaster spoon..  The end.  :)    I've caught six species in one day on a 3/4 oz gold hopkins from the beach (gray trout, speckled trout, puppy drum, bluefish, spanish mackeral and flounder).   It wasn't a normal day...  but it's true