Borsig

Lures for OBX?

42 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, saltydawg said:

Geez...first of all, it’s not a fresh bait destination any more than any other place. As a resident of the area, I never fish bait. 

The answer to to your question relies on the time of year you are there. One or two lures is all you need, but those will change dramatically depending on the time of year. More info needed.

October. 

Here’s what I take. Had to clean everything out after an incident with a wave during the last trip so why not take a picture

as others have said, “metal” is the way to go

DD50E7F4-4ED3-4001-A7B9-F9C0B7AF2A43.jpeg

2 hours ago, hanlon-surf said:

Here’s what I take. Had to clean everything out after an incident with a wave during the last trip so why not take a picture

Nice assortment. 

Posted (edited)

Wow. Very nice. Taking all my tin next week ,ha. About half of that. I'll be putting my 9' KNE to work with a fast Abu 5600. Might heave some bunker after dark.  Oct trip I'll have a 12' rod with a worked over 7000 or Squidder , fish finder rig , 8-0 hook on a 6" 60# leader .  In hand ,  Works for me . This year I might try an Akios 651 LSI I took the LW off of .  Tight Lines

Edited by Dsc

I  agree with your more of a fresh bait affair statement. I have had great days on lures on the O B all of which were covered by previous posters to your thread, however I have had whole weeks where fishing lures was very difficult due to angry seas and more conducive to bait rigs with 5 to 8 oz weights. Rough weather and ugly days are very common in Oct. but can really turn the fish on but can render lures useless. Great tackle shops there run by fishermen with all the info to help assist you.Enjoy your trip

21 hours ago, hanlon-surf said:

thats alot of **** to keep up with that will never really be needed in the hatteras area....and not even a gold hopkins in the mix...

11 hours ago, sanjuanworm said:

thats alot of **** to keep up with that will never really be needed in the hatteras area....and not even a gold hopkins in the mix...

At least he won’t have to stop at red drum tackle. Lol

There are a few lures in the first row that are good, the white with gold stripe or the pink and white. Better to be prepared. Nice selection there Hanlon!

Posted (edited)

15 mins ago, Retainer said:

At least he won’t have to stop at red drum tackle. Lol

There are a few lures in the first row that are good, the white with gold stripe or the pink and white. Better to be prepared. Nice selection there Hanlon!

that stop at red drum would be pretty beneficial as those guys will tell you what color chunk of steel you should be throwing out there...might even tell you where they caught fish that day as  everyone there is on the beach daily.... ...

but yeah....nice assortment of lures.......lots of spanish getting caught today on stingsilvers ...just saying.

but this time of yr the real fun would be throwing a chunk of meat to the shark of your choice...they are there.

lots of big  drum around  the sound at night by boat or yak also.

Edited by sanjuanworm

5 hours ago, sanjuanworm said:

that stop at red drum would be pretty beneficial as those guys will tell you what color chunk of steel you should be throwing out there...might even tell you where they caught fish that day as  everyone there is on the beach daily.... ...

but yeah....nice assortment of lures.......lots of spanish getting caught today on stingsilvers ...just saying.

but this time of yr the real fun would be throwing a chunk of meat to the shark of your choice...they are there.

lots of big  drum around  the sound at night by boat or yak also.

That’s why I say to wait until you get there, stop in to ask the hot color and grab some. 

I do like to drag one of thos flounder rigs with a bucktail hook and a nice fillet of finger mullet. Or gulp. 

Been awhile since I threw any of those color metals. May have to give them a shot when I’m down next month.

On 9/1/2018 at 11:42 AM, sanjuanworm said:

X2. Gotta have the gold:hooked:

its a bunch of stuff to be sure and the ESs have proven to be very productive for me.

as for gold Hopkins, they are to the left of the silver ones. I have a bunch of bags of gulp (you can make them out on the tp right) and opted for a closer shot of 90% of the tackle than include a picture of zip-loc gulp bags.

that top box of "plugs" never gets used. most were gifts and the other got-chas are there should I ever make it to a pier.

17 hours ago, Porktown said:

Looks like you are ready to retire to the OBX permanently!!!

one day my friend, one day

On 8/31/2018 at 1:54 PM, hanlon-surf said:

This totally blows my mind. I am the extreme opposite. I'm a minimalist when it comes to fishing gear (though my wife would disagree). I like to have good quality gear, but only stuff I actually need/use on a regular basis and can carry easily. This would be too overwhelming to me.

I currently own 3 bucktails (paint is wore off all of them), 2 metals (which I change the hooks on every year) and a bunch of swim-shads (which are disposable). I used to own a gotcha plug, but I tossed it this year because the hook was really rusty. I never lose lures in the surf, so can't imagine what I'd ever do with all of these? I own a lot of freshwater lures/gear, but that's because I lose that stuff constantly in the river.

Impressive collection though and fun to look at!

On 9/1/2018 at 11:42 AM, sanjuanworm said:

On 9/2/2018 at 2:52 PM, bstriping said:

X2. Gotta have the gold:hooked:

I've never caught a drum on anything but bait. How do you fish/retrieve a hopkins for drum? I know its typically a fast retrieve for Spanish/blues.