seachunk2

Your thoughts? Lami XS101MS + Penn Slam'r III 5500

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Putting together a surf setup with a  Lamiglas XS101MS + Penn Slammer III 5500.

I saw in another post that Amazon was running a sale on the Slammer III's so I went with the 5500 (thanks Shipwreck!).

I'm sort of new to the surf game so I'm looking for a good all-around setup for tossing bucktails, tins and up to 3 oz plugs. 

I don't plan to be tossing bait or anything too heavy.

Am I on the right track? Thx. 

My buddy has the same exact setup and loves it.  It throws 1oz SPs up to 2oz bucktails very well.  

I have a gsb1201l which is the same blank as the 101MS IIRC.  Sweet spot is around 1.75oz.

Youll be reaching the upper threshold of the rod throwing 3oz IMO.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Can't go wrong with the rod. I have one. I even throw 3/4 bucktails with it all the way up to SS lures. It has a pretty wide range of things it can do. As for the slammer i can't speak for that.

5 hours ago, seachunk2 said:

Thanks DEM. I am considering going with the 4500 instead of 5500. Line capacity with 30lb braid is adequate and the 14.7oz weight as opposed to the 5500's 22.4oz is a major factor.  

The 5500 actually balances very well with that rod.  Is there any possibility you can try both size reels on that rod to see what feels right for you?

I have the 5500 on a 10'6" Star Paraflex 1-4 oz. It's a good setup but the reel is pretty heavy. I've also used a VS VR150 on that rod and it balances well and makes for a nice light setup. If I had to do it again I'd go with the Slammer 4500.

Great reel in any size. Just got a 3500 in the mail today for back bay and kayak.

I just bought the reel from Amazon so I have some time if I decide to exchange it for a 4500. I've owned the rod for a year and I've been using a 704z. I decided to buy the 4500 and pair that up with a 8'-9' rod. Having both setups is the way for me to go. From what I've read and these responses, I'll have a nice setup for the surf with what I already have and the 4500 setup will work well with bucktails & 1/2" - 2oz whatever from a jetty where the 10" Lami might be overkill. Time for me to focus on which rod to pair with the 4500!  Suggestions?  

Edited by seachunk2
Update on plans....