jjdbike

Epoxy Jigs in OC surf: How, when & for what?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

I have but mainly use the "Mad Minnow".

Thanks for the reminder Big. I always forget that contraption.

For those who are looking for Hogy Epoxy jigs in Anchovy (I was) Hogy just restocked their online invintory yesterday. I grabbed a couple 5/8, 7/8 in Anchovy & Pink and a 1 1/4 in black silver (I'm thinking Mullet).

JD

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

That contraption caught me 15 off the beach in OC.........

Yes I know you do well with it. It looks great & assembeled a couple but always forget to try it.

Got a two day trip planned for 9/21 & 22. Depending of the progress of the mullet and presence of predators I may give it a shot. 

Thanks for reminding us!

JD

8 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

It's my go to on OC beaches for fluke........attach a 4" Gulp Mullet....low & slow.

Do you literally drag it steadily across the bottom, or swim it just over the bottom like a bucktail? Do you add any  action? Teaser above?

JD

Cast it out, let her sink then retrieve at a moderate to slow speed like you would a spinner or bucktail....not drag it.....the gulp on the bait holder hook as it is attached to the small split ring and swivel will flutter on it's own in the current.....no teaser....I pause it in the incoming waves that lift it up for max flutter action......make sure your using the 0.05 oz. with the flat / tapered sides and not the full diamond as I have seen those also.....use them when sand eels are present.

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Cast it out, let her sink then retrieve at a moderate to slow speed like you would a spinner or bucktail....not drag it.....the gulp on the bait holder hook as it is attached to the small split ring and swivel will flutter on it's own in the current.....no teaser....I pause it in the incoming waves that lift it up for max flutter action......make sure your using the 0.05 oz. with the flat / tapered sides and not the full diamond as I have seen those also.....use them when sand eels are present.

Thanks Big!

JD

The epoxy jig comes in many different sizes depending on what you are trying to match. I dont use em on blues because they will beat up the epoxy, but the epoxy jigs do very well on seabass( many 19"-23"), fluke, and striped bass (schoolies- 25#). They do in fact have a nice movement on a straight retrieve, a sort of tight side-to-side wobble, and they ride high on retrieve so you can cast em from the beach and over rocks. I also catch a lot of squid on them when jigging 

1 hour ago, Voo31 said:

The epoxy jig comes in many different sizes depending on what you are trying to match. I dont use em on blues because they will beat up the epoxy, but the epoxy jigs do very well on seabass( many 19"-23"), fluke, and striped bass (schoolies- 25#). They do in fact have a nice movement on a straight retrieve, a sort of tight side-to-side wobble, and they ride high on retrieve so you can cast em from the beach and over rocks. I also catch a lot of squid on them when jigging 

Thanks!

Can't wait to toss em!

JD

The epoxy is great for Albies IMO pink for me was the best, probably the best day i've had i did 26 albies off the surf in North Jersey

I mostly use for bonito and albies but while drifting and waiting for them I will vertically jig the bottom. Caught stripers, blues,tog, sea bass, scup,fluke, and even a few tropical visitors(Jack's and banded rudderfish). So I would pretty much say they catch anything. 

On 9/1/2018 at 8:15 AM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Crippled Herring has good darting action when retrieved at a moderate rate .....also, almost indistructable.

:th:  :th:  :th:

On 9/7/2018 at 0:44 PM, FunkyBunker said:

I got a 4oz i've been waiting to jig in the ocean. Probably caught more snappers on crippled herrings than any other lure. Have you ever used them for flounder?

The .5 - .75 are KILLER for flounder.  Cast from the beach and slowly "jerk" retrieve back into the wash....:th:

On 2/1/2019 at 6:56 AM, Chris76 said:

I mostly use for bonito and albies but while drifting and waiting for them I will vertically jig the bottom. Caught stripers, blues,tog, sea bass, scup,fluke, and even a few tropical visitors(Jack's and banded rudderfish). So I would pretty much say they catch anything. 

I have had the same experiance.  Caught my largest nj surf bass on one (+ 30lbs)

I used the Hogy Epoxy jig this past fall during the mullet run.

Sometimes, e.g. sun-up and sun-set, the blues were crashing mullet on the surface. Other times they would still be there, but a little further out and sort of lying dormant on the bottom. That's when the epoxy jig shined. W/ light set up, could still launch them and swim them low and slow. 

I'm sold.

Thanks.

JD