jjdbike

Epoxy Jigs in OC surf: How, when & for what?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I've seen a good deal of mention of Epoxy jigs, e.g. Hogy.

I like using metals for blues etc. I have no expereince w/ these. I noticed a pic on the reports thread of a nice fluke w/ one hanging out of it's mouth. On the Grumpy's site they mentioned pink hogy epoxy was a hot color.

I can imagine this might be a go to for albies & the like. It seems they would cast like a bullet for their weight, being so streamlined.

I'd also imagine they wouldn't have much if any built in action. These might do at least a decent, if not excellent job of matching the hatch when small streamlined baitfish are present such as spearing. They seem a bit big for anchovies but most things other than flies or tiny metals would be.

So here's my questions:

How do you fish these?

What target species would you use these for?

Are there certian times or conditions that would make these your goto?

Does color matter? If so, what colors do you like? Is pink really hot?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I'm just trying to gain some understanding of them, if & when we should be tossing them & how.

Thanks in advance.

JD

The Hogy Epoxy jigs are popularly used for catching albies in RI. My preference is the 5/8 ounce jig in olive, although silver, pink, green, other colors work, too. Blind casting may work, but albies often make their presence known and like a quick retrieve ordinarily, sometimes skimming the lure across the water's surface.

The jigs do not hold up as well as metal; big bluefish are capable of destroying epoxy jigs

Those jigs are expensive and blues will tear them up pretty quickly. I only use them targeting albies, if blues are around I'll throw on a cheap krocodile or something like that. 

22 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

0.5 oz. or 0.75 oz. Crippled herring....comes with VMC hook.

Also the same size blue chrome kastmaster. Had luck on those...espec bonito and blues (and small bass).

On 8/31/2018 at 3:02 PM, hurricane1091 said:

Do they work at all for stripers? I bought a few but I don't know if I'll even get the chance to try for albies. 

I fished them last year in bigger chop with winds. 1 oz. was my choice and the stripers liked them. With the bigger chop and wind you could slow the retrieve, bass like that also. Not sure what brand I have but I would think anything skinny two tone, with a tail will get it done.

35 mins ago, JoeGBreezy said:

I fished them last year in bigger chop with winds. 1 oz. was my choice and the stripers liked them. With the bigger chop and wind you could slow the retrieve, bass like that also. Not sure what brand I have but I would think anything skinny two tone, with a tail will get it done.

Great to hear!!

On 9/1/2018 at 8:15 AM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Crippled Herring has good darting action when retrieved at a moderate rate .....also, almost indistructable.

I got a 4oz i've been waiting to jig in the ocean. Probably caught more snappers on crippled herrings than any other lure. Have you ever used them for flounder?

On 8/31/2018 at 9:02 PM, hurricane1091 said:

Do they work at all for stripers? I bought a few but I don't know if I'll even get the chance to try for albies. 

Almost everything works for striped bass, theyre pretty dumb.

If bass are feeding on rainbait/spearing or any small bait, im sure epoxy jigs would work very well.  

Edited by bbfish

12 mins ago, bbfish said:

Almost everything works for striped bass, theyre pretty dumb.

If bass are feeding on rainbait/spearing or any small bait, im sure epoxy jigs would work very well.  

Yup, the challenging part is finding them in the first place haha

1 hour ago, FunkyBunker said:

I got a 4oz i've been waiting to jig in the ocean. Probably caught more snappers on crippled herrings than any other lure. Have you ever used them for flounder?

I have but mainly use the "Mad Minnow".