Beachglass Guru

2 great whites while spearfishing montauk

98 posts in this topic

My brother and 2 of his friends went out to Montauk this past weekend to participate in the spear fishing tournament. On the 2nd day they were sitting on top of a massive school of big bass. One driver was in the water, my brother and 1 other driver were on the boat.. all of a sudden the diver surfaces frantically waving his arms and screaming through a snorkle.. not understanding what he was saying but grasping his urgency through his frantic flailing, my brother immediately threw the boat in reverse and backed down on his buddy about 30 yards away.. as he reached the diver, my brother describes his actions as literally walking on water. He throws out a hand and is immediately dragged onto the boat.. as they pull him over the gunnel they were amazed to see a very large great white shark right at his heels... the shark surfaced and did a lap around the boat before disappearing back into the blue.. as it came along side the boat they were easily able to see its size in comparison to the boat.. it's a 36 yellowfin and the shark was apx 1/3 of the boats length...

About an hour later they had convinced themselves that it was a 1 in a million chance and could never happen again.. so (and this part is really dumb IMHO) they got back in the water at a different location about a mile away from their previous location... 

2 divers are now in the water.. 1 about 20 yards or so off the starboard side and 1 about 70 yards off the port.. again, the same driver surfaces frantically.. this time with no snorkle muffling his screams.. yelling at the to of his lungs for my brother and screaming shark... my brother flips the boat around in a flash and is by the divers side in less than 30 seconds.. the scene he describes next gives me goosebumps even writing it.... 

From about 10 feet away my brother watched as another great white, with its sight clearly on the diver, came up from below on an angle towards the boat and the diver.. he said more than anything he wanted to close his eyes because he was 100% sure his friend was about to be taken by the shark and there was nothing he could do in time.. as much as he didn't want to watch he said he couldnt look away. At the very last second the shark diverted its course and surfaced, mouth open, less than 2 feet from the diver...

By this time my brother had thrown the handle side of the gaff out and the diver had grabbed on and he was safely pulled over the gunnel. 

The second shark was smaller.  About 7 feet my brother said.. 

The other diver was also safely pulled from the water and the guys decided to call it a day and let the tournament rest on their day 1 catches.. 

This is craziness.. not sure why there is soooooooo much shark activity around the island this year.. 2 small attacks earlier in the season.. shark blitzes 30 yards off the sand.. and now this.. 

I've seen A LOT of stories this year about sharks taking bass off the line.. I've seen a lot of "post tax man" pics of bass heads on bucktails and such.. 

I dont remember sharks targeting the inshore bass population this much in years past.. I'm sure it's a staple of their diet, but you just dont hear about it that often.. 

On a happy note: no one died and they wound up taking first and second place in the tournament... 

Here is a picture of the first day bass that that took 1st and 2nd in the tournament.... 

IMG_6922.jpg.16d52472bb6cc8de57074a47d1f42310.jpg

(Before you start raving about the size of the fish.... it's all in the angle of the pic.. these fish officially weighed in at 46 lbs and 43 lbs...)

As they told me the story you could feel how shaken up it had them... I get goosebumps even recounting it here..

A few nights ago I'm waist deep in the surf with my buddy fishing what I assume was a pod of bunker, and i swear i was seeing fins in the wash about 10/15 yards out... I've never thought that in my life.. I'm not the nervous sort... my buddy is laughing and telling me I'm nuts.   Now on not so sure 

Those big stripers make quite a dinner for humans or sharks.

As long as there is a lot of food, seals, bass, etc I m sure the sharks will be hanging around.

Wow, crazy story. Something bumped into me one night about 50 yards out in waist deep water during a dropping  tide. I was with a buddy & we retreated to shore. 

Amazing story. & thanks for sharing. 

1 hour ago, Beachglass Guru said:

My brother and 2 of his friends went out to Montauk this past weekend to participate in the spear fishing tournament. On the 2nd day they were sitting on top of a massive school of big bass. One driver was in the water, my brother and 1 other driver were on the boat.. all of a sudden the diver surfaces frantically waving his arms and screaming through a snorkle.. not understanding what he was saying but grasping his urgency through his frantic flailing, my brother immediately threw the boat in reverse and backed down on his buddy about 30 yards away.. as he reached the diver, my brother describes his actions as literally walking on water. He throws out a hand and is immediately dragged onto the boat.. as they pull him over the gunnel they were amazed to see a very large great white shark right at his heels... the shark surfaced and did a lap around the boat before disappearing back into the blue.. as it came along side the boat they were easily able to see its size in comparison to the boat.. it's a 36 yellowfin and the shark was apx 1/3 of the boats length...

About an hour later they had convinced themselves that it was a 1 in a million chance and could never happen again.. so (and this part is really dumb IMHO) they got back in the water at a different location about a mile away from their previous location... 

2 divers are now in the water.. 1 about 20 yards or so off the starboard side and 1 about 70 yards off the port.. again, the same driver surfaces frantically.. this time with no snorkle muffling his screams.. yelling at the to of his lungs for my brother and screaming shark... my brother flips the boat around in a flash and is by the divers side in less than 30 seconds.. the scene he describes next gives me goosebumps even writing it.... 

From about 10 feet away my brother watched as another great white, with its sight clearly on the diver, came up from below on an angle towards the boat and the diver.. he said more than anything he wanted to close his eyes because he was 100% sure his friend was about to be taken by the shark and there was nothing he could do in time.. as much as he didn't want to watch he said he couldnt look away. At the very last second the shark diverted its course and surfaced, mouth open, less than 2 feet from the diver...

By this time my brother had thrown the handle side of the gaff out and the diver had grabbed on and he was safely pulled over the gunnel. 

The second shark was smaller.  About 7 feet my brother said.. 

The other diver was also safely pulled from the water and the guys decided to call it a day and let the tournament rest on their day 1 catches.. 

This is craziness.. not sure why there is soooooooo much shark activity around the island this year.. 2 small attacks earlier in the season.. shark blitzes 30 yards off the sand.. and now this.. 

I've seen A LOT of stories this year about sharks taking bass off the line.. I've seen a lot of "post tax man" pics of bass heads on bucktails and such.. 

I dont remember sharks targeting the inshore bass population this much in years past.. I'm sure it's a staple of their diet, but you just dont hear about it that often.. 

On a happy note: no one died and they wound up taking first and second place in the tournament... 

Here is a picture of the first day bass that that took 1st and 2nd in the tournament.... 

IMG_6922.jpg.16d52472bb6cc8de57074a47d1f42310.jpg

(Before you start raving about the size of the fish.... it's all in the angle of the pic.. these fish officially weighed in at 46 lbs and 43 lbs...)

How far off the point were you?

16 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

How far off the point were you?

They weren't diving the point..  We have a few honey holes we frequent that hold massive schools of really big fish on occasion.... and apparently, great whites now also.. :scuba:

9 hours ago, Beachglass Guru said:

They weren't diving the point..  We have a few honey holes we frequent that hold massive schools of really big fish on occasion.... and apparently, great whites now also.. :scuba:

How far off shore were the sharks?

Good story.  Although I have to admit that, as I read it, I suspect that the biggest threat to the divers was the prop on the boat when it ran up to pick up the divers, particularly in the first instance when it was backing down (particularly when under pressure, folks sometimes make a mistake on the controls, and accidents happen, even with experienced operators).  

There are a lot of sharks around.  In part, with some species such as sandbars, we're enjoying an increase in numbers as a result of regulations adopted a few years ago that prohibits almost all harvest (whites are now no-kill too, although I doubt that the small number landed previously had much to do with abundance).  But we also have a lot of bait around, particularly bunker and chub mackerel (the latter something we're only seeing inshore in recent years), and that bait is drawing small sharks and fish like striped bass, which in turn draw bigger predators.

Basically, the increasing abundance of top-level predators is a sign that the ecosystem is healing.