Leadcore trolling

capri_auto

I am putting together a leadcore trolling setup. I want to put 7 colors on my reel. Is it advisable to only let out 5 colors when wanting to troll shallower (25ft dep)? I have heard it can damage the line if you do not let it all out. I'm going to use suffix performance lead core on a penn 209. Most of the time I will be trolling 5 colors, but will need 7 at times. I just don't want to have 2 setups for this.

• 4 weeks later...

You should technically let all the line out. My buddy Zach Merchant who does ton of fishing at Round Valley Reservoir would have rods Numbered with the correct # of colors. 

He also replace them monthly before his tournaments, so i would assume they do damage if not properly used, especially when they get tangled with other line and get knotted up. that's pretty much bad

Lead core can be used with any amount of colors you require , The important aspect is to,realize the depth per speed you achieve . 

This is varied by speed and lure type . Generally its 4' per color for most floaters & maybe 4.5 on spoons .

Speeds of 1.5 to 1.9 or so,archive these depths . I've got over 30 seasons on lead on lakes and never had and issue when not dumping all or part of the line .

Todays LC reels make achieving proper amount of line simple ! 

The important issue with LC is keeping lead in tact , abnormal  stretching can part lead and cause ruptures in coating line . 

Years back,Gladding LC was  coated with a material that not only made it slick but protected the lead interior .

Today braid as coating increase strength and may prevent excessive stretching if you snag .

Conversations like these are make me have to look stuff up. The thought of fresh water trolling is unheard of in the southern states.

If I have this right from the videos the leadcore is basically a weighted line that drops a lure and the different colors on the line are there to give you an idea on the depth the lure is running?

It looks like fun.