The Ledge

Rate this topic

Ed White

Hi guys,

My name is Ed White and I am a Ditch Troll. Or, a Troll in training, really, just one trip/one fish so far but I'll be back the weekend after Labor Day. I've been reading around about the canal and have seen folks mention "the ledge", was wondering what the hell they are talking about. Along the same lines, anyone have any idea how the canal is shaped? I can see the fairly steep banks down to the rocks, where the weeds grow (what do you call that crap anyway?) it seems to flatten out for a while in places, and stay steep down into the water in other places, and I've heard it's around 60' deep out in the middle.

I used to fish around a lot of rockpiles and jetties when we still had them, now it's mostly sandy beaches down here in Jerzee, but I still have my korkers, point is, knowing where the rocks are makes retrieving your stuff a lot easier. And less costly. Not that I expect too never hang stuff up, it just happens, but keeping it to a minimum helps.

"Can You Hear Me, Doctor?"

Send me a PM with your phone # and I'll be happy to help.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

Not exactly.... but the "ledge" or edge of the cut is depicted in this pic as letter E.

The distance from shore in the Ditch changes along it length.

20180830_122601.jpg

Edited by TBYRD

Ditch Troll #338

-Tight Lines

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 0:15 PM, Matt A. Poisett said:

The average depth is about 33-35feet,low tide

Thanks Matt, a couple of folks I asked when I was up there last said 60', I did a bit of reading about how they built the canal, it confirms your numbers.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 0:28 PM, TBYRD said:

Not exactly.... but the "ledge" or edge of the cut is depicted in this pic as letter E.

The distance from shore in the Ditch changes along it length.

20180830_122601.jpg

Nice pic TB, that's kind of what I pictured in my little pea brain. I was just curious because of how far I saw guys wading out, I don't want to take that last step into 30' of moving water. Ill stay up on my nice rock, I think.

Sadly, we have an area down my way that is posted to use caution, because we have lost a few guys who took that last step into a ripping river channel. Don't want to be that guy.

"Can You Hear Me, Doctor?"

On 8/29/2018 at 5:24 PM, Ed White said:

Hi guys,

My name is Ed White and I am a Ditch Troll. Or, a Troll in training, really, just one trip/one fish so far but I'll be back the weekend after Labor Day. I've been reading around about the canal and have seen folks mention "the ledge", was wondering what the hell they are talking about. Along the same lines, anyone have any idea how the canal is shaped? I can see the fairly steep banks down to the rocks, where the weeds grow (what do you call that crap anyway?) it seems to flatten out for a while in places, and stay steep down into the water in other places, and I've heard it's around 60' deep out in the middle.

I used to fish around a lot of rockpiles and jetties when we still had them, now it's mostly sandy beaches down here in Jerzee, but I still have my korkers, point is, knowing where the rocks are makes retrieving your stuff a lot easier. And less costly. Not that I expect too never hang stuff up, it just happens, but keeping it to a minimum helps.

Ed words of caution when fishing the big ditch stay out of waders, as they can give you a false security when walking in the water. Stay with a good pair of Knee boots  , that way you will be less likely to go out to far. If you decide to use waders never go above your knees and you should be fine. There is some places where that may be fine to go above your knees , but until you see what it looks like at low water , be cautious.and you will be safe.

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

22 hours ago, Ed White said:

Those korker boots are nice, but a little pricey, especially since I already have korker's to go over my boots.

I’m a bit older so the advantage of the boot is even bigger. Very light and great support on the ankles. But yes a bit pricey

Missing Wilmington Vermont but loving the Ditch

On 9/6/2018 at 7:56 AM, mybosox3 said:

I’m a bit older so the advantage of the boot is even bigger. Very light and great support on the ankles. But yes a bit pricey

I agree that they are not cheap.  

But they are cheaper than a broken bone/twisted ankle/concussion.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

On 9/3/2018 at 10:02 PM, Ed White said:

....... I was just curious because of how far I saw guys wading out.......

During these last new moon low tides, I was able to traverse some new points/fingers of the "ledge" that I knew were there but wasn't confidant in venturing out on before.   

Just like has been said a thousand times...... experience is the best learning tool!!!

Now I know I can fish it on a normal tide.....not sure I would go way out there just because someone said it was "safe" :airquote:

Ditch Troll #338

-Tight Lines