Speedometer Needle Below Resting Peg - Cool, Easy Fix

Rate this topic

Steve in Mass

I can't take credit for this as I ran across it while doing a search on the subject.

Sometimes if you jump start a car or do other electrical work on it such as battery, alternator, or starter replacement, a voltage surge can cause the needle of your speedometer and/or tachometer to go all the way around and end up on the wrong side of the resting pin. Then when you start the car, the needle can't rise like it is supposed to, as it hits the underside of the pin. I had this issue over the weekend after replacing a starter and battery in my 2000 Accord.

Many sites said that the instrument cluster would need to be removed to fix it, and while not too difficult, it is sort of a pain. But then I ran across this idea.......

Get yourself a relatively powerful magnet and place it on the plastic gauge cluster cover near the tip of the needle. Trace a counterclockwise circle back around to the peg. The needle under the cover will follow the magnet back to the correct side of the resting peg. Problem solved in about 10 seconds! :)

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

2 hours ago, ccb said:

Great idea, I'll have to remember that one.  put it on U Tube.

It already is, that s where I found it.

Gotta tell ya, I owned Volvos for years and finding repair advice on line was pretty easy. With the Honda, not so much, they are pretty tight lipped. It takes a bit to search out and narrow stuff down.

I have a 0758 code issue which is an electrical transmission solenoid B issue, and even finding where the silly thing is takes some in depth searches.  

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

21 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

It already is, that s where I found it.

Gotta tell ya, I owned Volvos for years and finding repair advice on line was pretty easy. With the Honda, not so much, they are pretty tight lipped. It takes a bit to search out and narrow stuff down.

I have a 0758 code issue which is an electrical transmission solenoid B issue, and even finding where the silly thing is takes some in depth searches.  

On a ford, you drop pan over an oil tray. tran filter and solenoids are mounted on bottom of valve body.

i had to compare multiple parts searches to get three main solenoids sorted correctly. I changed all three, filter and fluid.

only replace amount of fluid that came out or it gets messy.

6 hours ago, Dave588 said:

On a ford, you drop pan over an oil tray. tran filter and solenoids are mounted on bottom of valve body.

Fortunately, on the Accord the one I need to replace is up high on the tranny, actually right below the starter motor and why I broke off the plastic electronic connector when replacing the starter. It is one bolt that unfortunately I cannot see under the starter, but it is like "right there" and should be easy if in can do it by feel. Theoretically shouldn't take more than 10 minutes, but anyone that has worked on cars knows how that "theoretically" stuff goes..... :o

I doubt any fluid other than a weep will come out at all.

SOL Member #174

7 hours ago, Billybob said:

Hmmm, I never had that happen to me.

I would have guessed that the new needles were plastic - guess not.

Depends on your definition of "new".....this is a 2000, and the video I found was the same.

SOL Member #174