Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
applecore

Sabiki Rigs

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Hello,

If I am want to use a sabiki rigs from a dock or similar drop off, how is the best way to use it? Do you make short, vertical jerky motions, or is it best to make sweeping vertical motions (letting it drop as deep as possible and raising to the surface). Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Sometimes less hooks are better and floating it on the top.

Sometimes a full rig works best.

You don't know until you try.

Ditto on the spearing. That helps. So does some chum (spearing bits or cat food).

i have just recently decided to experiment with sabikis and so far havent been too succesful but this is what i have found..

one day i was using it off a jetty and got one hickory shad by casting out with a spro jig for wieght and a medium retrieve, i also missed a few snappers teh same day with the same method, i think i wasnt setting the hook at all..

this past weekend i was playing around trying for snappers again and using the same spro sabiki combo with only two bites, i decided to change teh approach so i switched toa sabiki that had red feathers and orange tip withe the little irridecant bits and instead of the spro i hooked it up to a small striper pattern bomber to imitate a small fish chasing the tiny bait (sabiki hooks) slowly on yhe surface and hoooked up with three snappers out of five hooks so this method seemed to work better, i could also see a small school of snappers following the rig in a bunch of times..

im sure these arent the "right" way to do it but im still experimenting and learning, these where the methods that worked for me

I think that idea of using a small swimmer behind the rig sounds pretty neat- very creative. Someone else had mentioned using the cast and retrieve method. I have to believe that there are different levels of quality in sabiki rigs. The one I am using now is constantly getting tangled. Some people seem to love these things and some hate them. I have yet to catch anything on it but it may just be a matter of getting a knack for it. Thank you all for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

i have vertical jigged them from a pier and have had good success catching baitfish with them... but placing a small plug behind it? i'm gonna try that this weekend... genius!!!

Use a small castmaster as the weight. I almost had a sabiki grand slam on Saturday. Couldn't find a bass. Snappers it on the rise just before you hit the surface. Weaks like it on the drop before it hits the bottom. Fluke rising off the bottom.

I have only used the Daichi-bleeding bait-type in size#6 hooks. I clip a 1/2oz. weight to the end and lower it into the water. I'll jig it a little, pause, jig it again. I was getting herring and snappers today in a quiet boat lagoon. I was getting big bergalls, peanut bunker, herring, and 1 northern sennet from the wall at Manasquan inlet during what looked like either a boat parade or a re-enactment of d-day. They work fine catching live bait, it's keeping them alive that is the problem.

BobT

I have been using Sabiki rig in Japan all the time. They use it for catching most of anchovy and amber jacks and mackerel. I used to catch hundreds of anchovy in any pier of Japan. I tried Sabiki a couple of times around NY, I could only catch few minnows. I'll keep trying.

my first time with a sabiki was in 90 feet of water looking for mackerel to live line....i had a 6 ounce jig that looked like a mackerel on the end of it to get it down in a hurry....picked up a few, then something hit it pretty hard and fought like crazy.....a nice codfish!.....i haven't fished for a lot of cod, and usually they are like hauling in an old boot....not this guy

Maybe it's just me, but I find that sabiki rigs don't seem to work all that well for lots of the stuff I see noodling around the docks in this area. They work for herring and shad and stuff...but I can never seem to get snappers and stuff to eat them cwm13.gif

TimS

Maybe it's just me, but I find that sabiki rigs don't seem to work all that well for lots of the stuff I see noodling around the docks in this area. They work for herring and shad and stuff...but I can never seem to get snappers and stuff to eat them cwm13.gif

TimS

I dont use the store bought stuff. I couldnt get them to work on snappers either. Here's what has worked for me.

Tied in the same fashion, use 8 lb floro and the smallest gold hooks you can find. sinker on bottom, of course. Put nothing on the gold hooks! Just jig lightly. Works on spearing too, IF you use those tiny gold salmon egg hooks. I wont tell you what it does to bunker either.

Since we are on sabiki's. Have some fun with those bonitas (little tuny) that come in close to the beach, tie 1/2 of a sabiki (about 3 to 4 hooks) on a metal, like a 1/2 oz crippled herring. Tie it to the hook. Let her fly and reel fast. Good for those spanish that you see jumping out there. Thats the only time I use store bought sabiki's.

Don't know but I kick arse with the Sabiki rigs...catch snappers, spike weakfish, spearing, rainfish, herring, cigar minnows, jacks, bergals, etc.

I use the smallest ones I can find. No added bait. If they work for me, anyone should be able to catch with them icon14.gif