tomkaz

What is Really Afoot Right Now: Destroy Trump's Business and Family

99 posts in this topic

You have seen it build for the past few weeks and now it is reaching a critical point, "they" are getting "personal". 

Background: The anti-Trumpers, whether on the Left, Center or Right, have sought to stop Trump however they can.

They have to stop his presidency before he undoes so much of what they have built.

They have to stop him before he gives any other usurpers the idea that they can attain high office too.

And they have to teach The Deplorables a lesson: You will be quiet, accept what we tell you to accept, live your petty lives and mind your frackin' business otherwise. 

After two years of investigation, they have discovered "there's no there there" on the Russia Collusion fairytale. Obstruction is not provable to the extent they can make an impeachment charge. And, even if the Dems were to take back the House, there is no guarantee that Pelosi will even allow impeachment to proceed. And even if they were, there is no guarantee that the Dems can win the Senate or get enough votes to convict and remove Trump from office. They will not forget that Bill Clinton survived a House-led effort to impeach so they can't rely on impeachment.

But the Trump-haters remember two other things: Nixon was forced to resign rather than be impeached and Spiro Agnew resigned before he was "fired". 

So what do we see playing out right now with the immunity deal for the CFO of Trump Inc. and the NYS AG investigation of all things Trump? 

They are going after Trump and his family at a personal level. If they can't get him on Russia, etc., they are going to try to destroy his family and/or business. The Foundation. The Trump Inc. taxes. Junior. Jared & Ivanka. In different ways "they" are going after all of these in an uncoordinated but coordinated manner. 

And in doing so, they hope that Trump will be forced to make a Hobson's Choice: Stick it out as President or watch all that he has worked for over 50 years be destroyed. Watch "them" destroy his legacy and leave his family is relatively poor financial condition. "They" are playing for keeps. 

Will "they" succeed? Can "they" create enough of a risk concern in Trump's mind to box him into that Hobson's Choice? Media talking heads have been buzzing about this for days. They are making it a thing and keeping the drumbeat going to make sure that it finds its way to the Trump inner circle. 

Want an example, one of many? 

Spiro Agnew lawyer: Trump should resign to keep Mueller from prosecuting his family

Martin London, a lawyer who represented former Vice President Spiro Agnew, said that President Trump should resign from office to keep federal prosecutors from prosecuting his family. 

“It’s only going to get worse,” London said Friday during an appearance on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

“We already have everybody, you know — the rats are leaving the ship. He’s lost [Richard] Gates, [George] Papadopoulos, [Michael] Cohen, [Michael] Flynn, now [David] Pecker," London said. “He’ll probably lose others from the Trump Organization.” .....

“We don’t know a quarter of what’s in the pocket of the prosecutor,” London said of Mueller.

“If he has any interest at all in not only saving his skin, but the skin of his child, his children, his son-in-law, his grandchildren, his daughter — this is a time when he’s got to seriously think about that,” London said, referring to Trump. “Now, is he capable of that, of serious thinking? Frankly, I doubt it.” 

London said Trump should ponder his advice because his current lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, who he also labeled a "clown," isn’t going to get him anywhere.

“He’s going to be advised by people like clown Giuliani and people who don’t know that truth is truth, then he’s not going to get anywhere,” he said. “The national interest is what drove the Agnew resignation.”

Posted (edited)

Guess you listened to Rush today. He called this already .

Edited by Retainer

Posted (edited)

Here's another, from Politico:

FRI, AUG 24TH, 2018 BY LEO VIDAL
How State Charges Against Trump’s Company Could Destroy His Family

New York state prosecutors in Manhattan are reportedly considering pushing for criminal charges against the Trump Organization and top company officials. The charges would relate to the hush-money payments made by former longtime Trump lawyer Michael Cohen.

In Cohen’s guilty pleas this week he admitted he had made illegal payments on behalf of the president, and then submitted invoices to the Trump Organization for payment.

According to charging documents, several high-level executives in the Trump Organization were aware of the illegal payments at the time they were made, and approved them. This means that Trump’s company, as well as its senior executives, have been implicated in the same crimes to which Michael Cohen pleaded guilty.

Other than the Chief Financial Officer and the president himself, the only high-level executives within the Trump Organization are Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr..

Yesterday the New York Times reported that the Manhattan District Attorney’s office is considering criminal charges against the company based on Cohen’s payment to Stormy Daniels. The state officials said they are reviewing the matter and no decision has been made on pursuing charges at this time.

On Thursday, the New York Times reported that the Manhattan District Attorney may be eyeing criminal charges against the Trump Organization.

According to CNN analyst Michael D’Antonio the filing of criminal charges against the company and its top executives would be terrifying for Trump for several reasons. 

For one thing, because the charges would be prosecuted at the state level, Trump could not issue pardons since presidents don’t have the ability to pardon state crimes. Trump is reportedly discussing using a pardon to free former campaign manager Paul Manafort who was convicted of 8 federal crimes earlier in the week.

Also, because the Trump Organization is a family business, charges brought against the company “would mark the end of Trump’s long standing plans for his family business,” according to D’Antonio.

Speaking to CNN host Don Lemon, D’Antonio said:

“This is an organization that has 500 different entities, businessman Donald Trump, before he was president, really specialized in clever engineering, clever financial dealings, in order to fund these enterprises, shift profit around. Now, for the first time, it’s all going to be opened up for examination. This is why he didn’t release his tax returns. He didn’t want people to actually have access to the numbers, and we may now have access to the numbers.”

As a privately owned (non-public) company, all of its financial records are kept private, but a criminal case against the Trump Organization would open up all financial records to prosecutors and eventually to the public through the trial process.

All of the president’s confidential financial documents, including his tax returns, would probably be disclosed to member of the jury as well as the general public. In D’Antonio’s opinion, “This is really his nightmare. He’s operated as a private, family business for all these years to avoid scrutiny.”

If the company and its executives are found guilty of crimes, it would also mark the demise of the entire Trump Organization as we know it today.

“He wanted to hand this whole enterprise off to his children, and his children spoke to me about how they would run it as a normal business and not be so flagrant in their publicity seeking,” D’Antonio said. “They may never get the chance.”

Edited by tomkaz

4 mins ago, Retainer said:

Guess you listened to Rush today. He called this already .

I did not hear Rush, didn't think he worked summer Fridays. But glad to hear that I am not being crazy here. The reporting is out there and it is having an effect. 

His family runs a mobbed up multi-level marketing company. They should be scrutinized. 

Well, if they do this there will be no stone left unturned for the next Democrat Presidential candidate and none of the current bag of contenders can stand up to a close look at their history and past dealings.

This will be a double edged sword and it will cut back on the return.

4 mins ago, tomkaz said:

I did not hear Rush, didn't think he worked summer Fridays. But glad to hear that I am not being crazy here. The reporting is out there and it is having an effect. 

Yeah, he was saying if Trump is squeezed enough, to the point he stands to lose his wealth, which would he decide to do? Continue to MAGA and run for a second term? Or resign to protect his wealth for his family, children, grandchildren etc.

Would not be the first time Trump had to file for bankruptcy.

He's good at it and he will come back stronger than before.

Might call in some mob favors to fix things.

Now the real question would be is do these people back off if Trump were to resign or not run again?

1 min ago, Gotcow? said:

Now the real question would be is do these people back off if Trump were to resign or not run again?

My view, NFW. They will bury him and as many around him as they can get. Go back to the OP, "they" want to send a message that no one but a deaf, dumb and blind man could miss: Don't even think about screwing with us our our system. 

The problem they have, is the more they talk about this, the more they will motivate those sympathetic to Trump to vote in November. That might not stop the prosecutions, but voters can send an awfully blatant message to "them" too. 

9 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Well, if they do this there will be no stone left unturned for the next Democrat Presidential candidate and none of the current bag of contenders can stand up to a close look at their history and past dealings.

This will be a double edged sword and it will cut back on the return.

It is certainly a double edged sword. 

Bernie’s wife and her running into the ground of a private college should also be fair game. It is a disqafier in my opinion. 

Just now, tomkaz said:

My view, NFW. They will bury him and as many around him as they can get. Go back to the OP, "they" want to send a message that no one but a deaf, dumb and blind man could miss: Don't even think about screwing with us our our system. 

The problem they have, is the more they talk about this, the more they will motivate those sympathetic to Trump to vote in November. That might not stop the prosecutions, but voters can send an awfully blatant message to "them" too. 

If this is the plan they will regret this in ways that they can not possibly comprehend going forward.

1 min ago, tomkaz said:

The 42% approval isn’t getting any higher with the economy in boom mode, but you think as more of his slimyness comes to light it will have a net positive affect? 

I suppose that’s possible, but it’s quite a reach. As much as his base besmirch the “GOPe”, they are the ones who carried him to victory, and pulling the lever in a general is one thing, but to get them motivated for a mid-term is wholly different.

I’d posit they stay home rather than hold their nose again, particularly in light of the crass and ugly behaviour that has been the Trump Presidency. 

4 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

If this is the plan they will regret this in ways that they can not possibly comprehend going forward.

It will be scorched Earth for sure. Hillary was not the only one who sees Trump voters as Deplorables who need to be taught a lesson. Can't have these deplorable people walking around with their heads high, chest stuck out thinking they helped topple Clinton and elect the most populist president since Jackson. 

Interloper, usurper, heathen, etc. and they will seek to destroy him because 1) to prove that they can and will and 2) to ensure that anyone outside the bipartisan Establishment that thinks they want to run for office will think twice or thrice. 

Funny, two words jumped into my mind when I read your comment GC: civil war. 

4 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

The 42% approval isn’t getting any higher with the economy in boom mode, but you think as more of his slimyness comes to light it will have a net positive affect? 

I suppose that’s possible, but it’s quite a reach. As much as his base besmirch the “GOPe”, they are the ones who carried him to victory, and pulling the lever in a general is one thing, but to get them motivated for a mid-term is wholly different.

I’d posit they stay home rather than hold their nose again, particularly in light of the crass and ugly behaviour that has been the Trump Presidency. 

Did you read my post on the GOP's new get out the vote effort? Did you read where I said my wife, who hates Trump, keeps saying the worse the Media get, the more they make her feel she has to defend him? 

Recent polling show that voter engagement and enthusiasm in this cycle is at a record for any mid-term election. Yes, the Dems have a slight, single digit, advantage on enthusiasm but there is NO evidence of a demoralized GOP. 

Sorry Plum, but I think the opposite might be real: people who held their noses the first time (the ABC voter) will happily support the GOP candidate in their district/state.