Mack26

Korker Rock Trax Stud Issue

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I bought a pair of cleated overshoes for my bootfoot waders a few weeks ago, and have had quite a few studs fall out over the last couple of outings. Nothing crazy as rocks go, just some sand/rock areas. I had a tough time finding any in my size, and got the last pair at TD, so was psyched, until now. Have had several pairs, between the old lace up style, and the buckle. Never an issue. 

Just curious if you guys have experienced anything similiar?

If you have, is there any type of glue that would keep them in place if I order some replacement studs. Really aggravated that i have to, but they are brand new. Thanks for any input!

Hey Mack26,

I had the same exact thing happen to me with new Korker boots with the interchangeable soles. I was all pumped to use them so I threw them on and it was during that first trip when I lost a few studs. It’s almost like you can’t assume they’re all tight out of the box. Since then I keep a tool in my car and I give each stud a quick tighten / check before every trip. It takes some discipline, but it’s become kind of a cool ritual. I haven’t lost any studs since. 

14 mins ago, Joe Mairo said:

Hey Mack26,

I had the same exact thing happen to me with new Korker boots with the interchangeable soles. I was all pumped to use them so I threw them on and it was during that first trip when I lost a few studs. It’s almost like you can’t assume they’re all tight out of the box. Since then I keep a tool in my car and I give each stud a quick tighten / check before every trip. It takes some discipline, but it’s become kind of a cool ritual. I haven’t lost any studs since. 

Hey Joe, i wish they were the screw in type, but they are the push through type. I know that would make them more suceptible to coming out, but haven't lost more than a couple a pair through the years. Very odd. Guess thats why i was wondering about putting some sort of glue on them when i put new ones in.

Oh! Well come to think of it, I had that happen to me too with the same overshoes - not the boots. Ended up sending them back and getting the screw in overshoes. I remember  thinking to myself that the rubber was softer / more flexible than the older Korker overshoes I’ve had in the past. But in the end I feel like the rubber is too soft to hold the push through studs in properly. The one thing I’d say is don’t hesitate to give Korkers a call. I’ve found their customer service to be awesome. You’ll probably end up talking to a fellow fisherman that’ll work hard to fix whatever issue you’ve got to get you back out there ASAP. They get it. 

It's happened to me, but only once.  Lost about three studs in Montauk last year - same type of korkers.   Bought a package of carbide replacements.   Strangely it hasn't happened again after a lot of use, maybe because I'm aware of it now and tend to be more careful with the footing.

Thanks Overmod, i have buy some this week from SWE. I'll check with them to see if theres something i can do to prevent it from happening again. I was thinking a drop of Loctite on them, but not sure if that works with rubber type products.