Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VTD48

East Coast Options?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

The past 2 years we've enjoyed the month of April in Ft. Myers and I've fly fished the SWF beaches, including Sanibel.  Not this time around – within the reach of the Red Tide...

It's sad, but we're cutting our losses and trying to find an alternative for this April - most likely the East Coast of FL or possibly the panhandle, though I'm thinking the panhandle won't be quite as warm in April as we'd like.  Wherever we rent, we'd like to [ideally] include these items:  decent shore fishing, bicycling, beach time, and pickleball.  Some areas we've started looking at are:  Flagler Beach, Indian River, Apalachicola, Pensacola.  So far we've discounted the Keys.  Lack of people would be a bonus, thus we should avoid the serious spring break locations.

I know that's a tall order, but I'm hoping to tap your experiences for general recommendations that may satisfy 1 or 2 of these goals - especially the shore fly fishing.  I'm not particularly fussy about species, though I'm not interested in sharks.  Looking for areas of the state to focus on in my search.  All observations are appreciated – including ones that test my expectations.  Fire away!

...and THANKS!

Best...

VTD48

I live in Indian River. Ocean Fishing with a Fly Rod is doable based on the wind. I 'm a northern, used to wading, but not quite as easy to wade with the possible surf and shark population. Fishing is pretty good around April, small bluefish, Spanish Mackerel, Pompano, jacks, ladyfish . Biking in Florida  is a tough call. On the barrier island you can ride for miles on A1A but its on the shoulder of the road and the speed limit is 45. I do it, but it can be a bit dangerous with the aging population and cell phones. Not sure if there are any public pickle ball courts. It would be pretty easy to find a rental down here in April, lots of condos available, we have private beach access where I live and you can also find access to fish the intercoastal. Both Sebastian Inlet and Fort Pierce Inlet are a short drive away, Kayak is great to use on the intercoastal if you have one. Nice thing is  April is it isn't too crowded, most snow birds have left or are leaving.  

Amelia Island.   Coming from the north it saves almost a day of driving the length of Florida, not to mention easy access to Jacksonville Airport.   I think the rec department may have pickle ball.   

Any county between Volusia on south to Miami-Dade depending on your preferences for "company".

North to south gets more congested.

Great fishing in all, especially once you get to know the area dynamics which won't take too long.

I think Brevard and Indian River counties would be in your sweet spot.

I’ve lived in Florida 5 years and the fishing sucks on the east coast unless you have a boat. I wouldn’t even trust a guide to put me on fish inshore and they don’t want you fishing anyway because of the tourists. Fishing is always spotty. That’s why I stick now to the keys and the freshwater canals

Is it just me.. but i laugh all the time people say one part of Florida coast sucks, and throw in the boat part and i laugh even harder... there are plenty of us that fish the east coast from shore and IMHO it doesnt even come close to sucking... just like any area You have to put in your time and learn your area... if you go in with the mindset that it sucks because you didnt catch anything.. and others are catching... just saying it aint the area...And as far as the Guide comment.. WTH!!! a guide is giving up his livelihood because it cares more about tourist LOL... psss fishing is spotty anywhere.. that's why it's call fishing... 

Sorry for jumping off the thread, but i needed to address this East coast sucking thing first...LOL

VTD48> as far as fly fishing go, can't help you there but there are a handful of pretty good fly fishermen down here and i'm sure one of them will chine in... April is a great time here in the east coast, but just like anything else weather will also play a big part.. I love the rain it runs off all the wannbe and i have areas to myself at times...and as far as where to go... hmmmmm it really depends on you...What i would do if i was you is go back and do a search for fishing in April here in the Florida section... than jump on Florida fishing forums and join them and do a search on those also... You have lots of time to do alot of research and narrow down areas to your liking... You can also put down the dates that you will be down here and you never know..... somebody might meet up with you and give you some local knowledge of the area you want to fish... or at least point you in the right area...OH we also have some great flyfishing forums down here... and no it doesnt hurt to join plenty of forums... knowledge is spilling over in all these forums... look at most of us here, we live in Florida and belong to striper fishing forum...LOL..

4 hours ago, quest450 said:

Drako is back :beers:

And he's right.

4 hours ago, quest450 said:

Fly fishing the beaches is tough on the east coast in the winter due to the constant wind, not as bad in the summer. Make sure you bring a spinning rod though it does not have to long. Lots of parks & access compared to Conn. 

There are a ton of canals & ponds as well for FW.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:20 AM, chunk said:

I’ve lived in Florida 5 years and the fishing sucks on the east coast unless you have a boat. I wouldn’t even trust a guide to put me on fish inshore and they don’t want you fishing anyway because of the tourists. Fishing is always spotty. That’s why I stick now to the keys and the freshwater canals

Okay, so you've lived here 5 years.....So tell us why fishing on the east coast of Florida sucks unless by boat? Sounds rather absurd to me. Really, tell us why the fishing is so bad that you felt inclined to make an absurd blanket statement like that. 

All ears.  

On 10/22/2018 at 1:00 AM, quest450 said:

Drako is back :beers:

LOL.... had to take a break because of stupid health issue, not fully recover yet, so i'm fishing golf ponds to get my fishing fix...got a yak and still havent fish from it!!! but with all this down time.. i pretty much have everything ready to go just have to figure out a way to sneak out without the wife catching me... oh don't get me wrong she loves to fish also... But she believe those stupid Dr over me..:beatin: but the one thing i have learn while fishing these large golf ponds.... psssss i'm only using lures OMG....i able to get large live shiners (free) but getting back to using lures has really change my mind on livebait....what could it be Drako has given up on live bait for saltwater...ahhhhh i don't think so :hooked:....but with this down time i have also gotten my saltwater lure bags in order...yes i said bags...i'm like a girl with shoes when it comes to lures... or i just love spending money.. :laugh:

Also look at the Everglades, out of flamingo or everglades city.  Fly by yak or rent a guide.  Fishing heating up in April typically.  

5 hours ago, Drako said:

LOL.... had to take a break because of stupid health issue, not fully recover yet, so i'm fishing golf ponds to get my fishing fix...got a yak and still havent fish from it!!! but with all this down time.. i pretty much have everything ready to go just have to figure out a way to sneak out without the wife catching me... oh don't get me wrong she loves to fish also... But she believe those stupid Dr over me..:beatin: but the one thing i have learn while fishing these large golf ponds.... psssss i'm only using lures OMG....i able to get large live shiners (free) but getting back to using lures has really change my mind on livebait....what could it be Drako has given up on live bait for saltwater...ahhhhh i don't think so :hooked:....but with this down time i have also gotten my saltwater lure bags in order...yes i said bags...i'm like a girl with shoes when it comes to lures... or i just love spending money.. :laugh:

hope alls well with you, missed your posts, you're a breath of fresh air in this stagnant forum.......boogie down Bronx :beers: