Otshawytsha

What Is Your Most Savored Fly Fishing Situation

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I thin the one time enjoy the most is when I actually am on the water when I want to be, just before ther is a hint of light with a slight breeze at my back with very calm water and fish just starting to dL slow rolls as the feed with intermediate line and a fly that attracts the right amount of attention at the start of a dropping tide that lasts for a few hours and I am all alone 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, JSRybak said:

N. Andros, Bahamas.  April or May, light breeze, not a cloud in the sky.  Calf deep flat, warm Sun at my back, rising morning tide, impossibly clear water.  White sandy bottom, deeper bluish-aqua green channel on my left, 7wt in hand, casting to singles and small pods of happy Bonefish coming out of the channel & up on the flat to feed...  THAT is my idea of a perfect fishing scenario.

Joulter Cays ?

Edited by snapper1

Some of my best times when I was in the zone was in the Adirondacks teaching my son to flyfish in a canoe during a hex hatch.  He was flailing away with the rod, false casting 20 times, and the fly would land only 10 feet away.  Regardless, a brookie would come up and slam the fly and we would laugh. My best times were always watching my son catch a fish. 

Another savory sit for me is moonlit night on a trout river, no wind, chucking mice at the banks in the dark. That tug is a drug for sure! 

Nights spent with friend on the East End North Shore of Long Island in June.  I remember those nights well.  Some great bass fishing.

Being provoked by a friend to search and find an island beach on my own, that holds Snook, then actually fishing it and being successful, hooking on a fly what may be the largest Snook I may ever catch. At least till next year I hope. It was very fulfilling to do this all on my own with the help of Google Earth, and a little push from my good friend.

With all my hours on the salt, I get nostalgic for N.E. rivers.  Reading the river, good casts, better drifts, and the feeling that consumes you when the sun sets behind a mountain and tells you, you spent the whole day in paradise.  

Good one Brian.

Maybe good idea to start de-barbing your hooks.

Hey - we never did hook-up on the cape to fish.
Herb

Lately for me its been warm water fishing small creeks fishing my Dad's old Shakespeare Wonder Rod. Casting to small, likely lairs and feeling or better yet seeing the strike of a bluegill or small bass. You have to take what you can get with the time & location you can get to. I still love fishing for and catching bluegills/sunnies; right back where it all started for me...

There are so many options to consider

Throwing files to big bluefish tailing in shallow water

throwing to Mahi under a weed line

throwing to wild trout rising for flies

bass rolling in a foot of water

weakfishing slurping in a quiet back bay rip in the middle of the night

throwing to surface feeding tuna

...or having a full tank of gas the next 12 hours to myself and assorted rods packed ..and then just pointing the boat in a random direction to see what I find

1B1E497B-21A0-45EE-A0E1-C074897F5C44.jpeg

483D0B91-E27A-4535-A681-ED20A9442B89.jpeg

0E11D646-ED52-4560-9D76-826495FD44D0.jpeg

32705D3A-2B15-4AD0-939A-46420A211112.jpeg

C317E9D2-45C5-4DA9-8FCC-6F08C59BEBA6.jpeg

On 8/25/2018 at 11:26 AM, HL said:

Good one Brian.

Maybe good idea to start de-barbing your hooks.

Hey - we never did hook-up on the cape to fish.
Herb

Yeah, I had to cancel this year, couldn't really walk much.  I've fished the surf very little.  Knee replacements looming. C'est la vie.