Jon I

Huge News

400 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

They updated their site - there's a Compass Duo (tandem) and the new Outback design. Hull weight of 85lbs for the Outback....oof! It seems like they're turning into a lighter version of the PA12.

Edited by drmevo

21 mins ago, drmevo said:

They updated their site - there's a Compass Duo (tandem) and the new Outback design. Hull weight of 85lbs for the Outback....oof! It seems like they're turning into a lighter version of the PA12.

I may be wrong, but that doesnt seem too far off from previous model of the outback? 

I definitely think it looks alot better than the previous  model.  I like the addition of the built in gear tracks.

I wonder if the hull slap is any better on this kayak. 

Looks pretty sweet. Be nice if they included the rear hatch. Stock gear tracks are awesome. Now we just need a competitor to copy this and sell it for half the price...

I'm not an outback guy but this looks like a totally new deck layout with a standing platform?  I'd like to see if they changed the hull design for better stand-ability. Need to stand for muskie fishing, I missed a lot of follows last year because I can stand in my revo.

14 mins ago, tmcd94 said:

I may be wrong, but that doesnt seem too far off from previous model of the outback? 

I definitely think it looks alot better than the previous  model.  I like the addition of the built in gear tracks.

I wonder if the hull slap is any better on this kayak. 

Yeah, I think it was still about 80 pounds when I was recently comparing, so not a huge weight difference. It's cool that the turbo fins are now standard. It does look narrower in the bow so maybe that will help the hull slap issue? For people who use the Outback it does seem like it could be a good upgrade with little need to physically modify anything. Square hatch too. Big question...how much more will it cost? ;)

Edit - here is the desciption:

"With the first major redesign of the best-selling Mirage Outback in over a decade, Hobie has single-handedly advanced the sport of kayak fishing. This fully-loaded fishing machine is built for every conceivable fishing expedition, whether you’re prowling the ocean for monster gamefish or stalking bass in your favorite freshwater fishing hole. The extra-wide standing deck offers an improved casting platform and convenient vantage point for sight fishing, allowing for superior vision from above while the revolutionary Guardian Transducer Shield gives you multidimensional vision below. The new Vantage CTW seat provides extra width for unmatched room and comfort. Four molded-in rod holders, multiple deluxe H-Track mounts, and numerous high-capacity storage compartments ensure that all of your gear is at your fingertips. Powered by the MirageDrive 180 with ARC Cranks + Turbo Fins – now standard on all Outbacks – this fine-tuned angling vessel is highly versatile, fast, quiet, and exceedingly nimble. Now featuring our Kick-Up Rudder system with dual steering capabilities, combating drift and navigating tight water has never been easier."

Edited by drmevo

I like that handle on the back of the outback

I see they’re going a bit angular in their design

that compass tandem... lol!

1 hour ago, drmevo said:

Looks like their might be twin rudder controls?

Mirage Outback

Me like!!!  :bigeyes:

Edited by GeoffT
No reason - hidden for some reason?

New center hatch :howdy:

I hope the rear bungies are on a track, it looks like it could be but I doubt it.

The cup holders changed.  My 24oz hydro flask currently fits in the larger cup holder(only), but this new model appears to have shrunk the cup holder.

Seeing them upgrade the rear handle, but not the front is extremely disappointing.

The front hatch seems smaller.

The tail end seems longer with the front being shorter.

Looking forward to seeing it in person. I just picked up a new 2018 outback about a month ago, maybe I should’ve waited...:fire:

quick edit—just got an email from hobie about pricing, here you go....

6B623EE4-00BD-4D40-BAF0-43B56AEBA700.png

Edited by Local24 SSP