Jon I

Huge News

400 posts in this topic

Saw a video of the new 2019 in very small surf. Someone posted it on hobie kayak fishing FB site.

Hobie lowered the bow, made it pointy and moved the seat forward. The rear of the kayak also now has alot more volume.

The results are easily seen in this video. 

Not bashing this new model as it does have alot of cool features and I am sure this is a great fit for alot after kayakers. 

However, If you do alot of surf launching the 2018 and older looks to be a better option getting in and out of surf.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Jeffz1 said:

Think you were trying to post this you tube vid of the 2019 outback "surf" test... 

Edit: it is interesting to see how well protected the rudder is when he drags it down. 

Edited by Jon I

5 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

Now I am going to show others how to ignore you and I dont even need to use the ignore function on SOL.  You mean that little to me.

You are dismissed. 

If I mean that little shipwreck why come around barking?  Hahah....good entertainment on the train coming out of work Ship.    

DA47F310-D927-41C1-BFBE-99902581A154.jpeg

7 hours ago, Jeffz1 said:

Saw a video of the new 2019 in very small surf. Someone posted it on hobie kayak fishing FB site.

Hobie lowered the bow, made it pointy and moved the seat forward. The rear of the kayak also now has alot more volume.

The results are easily seen in this video. 

Not bashing this new model as it does have alot of cool features and I am sure this is a great fit for alot after kayakers. 

However, If you do alot of surf launching the 2018 and older looks to be a better option getting in and out of surf.

So far that's the only thing I've seen that I don't like. I don't do much surf launching so it probably isn't a big deal in my case but I don't like how easily the water comes over the bow. Seems like the bow digs into the waves too much but I don't know if that's normal or not.

On 9/14/2018 at 7:24 PM, tj7501 said:

You seem like a smart guy. Ever heard of a term called contrast? By getting a faded blue kayak you would be minimizing your contrast with the massive blue background that you are in. It doesn’t mean that you will definitely get hit by a boat. Just as it doesn’t mean that your new papaya color will save you from a collision. But it will probably increase your chances of being invisible to a boater. I wouldn’t take those additional chances, but it’s a free country for those that do. I should know by now that you are not a big fan of logic. Why else would someone buy a new kayak every other month.

Agreed.  There is a reason that they don't paint aircraft carriers orange.

With the new design at least you would be prepared to brace in the surf.  I would be more worried about taking an unseen wake from behind, bow stuffs, extra volume in the rear and over it goes.  Looking forward to more videos.

Picked mine up today. Seat is comfy. It feels like the pedals are closer to the seat than the PA12 I had. The deck looked small at first but once I got in there is a lot of room. Easy to stand. There is a little bit of flex when standing but Im assuming thats because of the hatch...its minimal. Rudder is VERY responsive. I like the rudder controls because they are flush..no more getting my fly line caught..Compared to the PA the OB feels like a feather both in and out of the water! I actually like not having the H rails sticking up..makes it easier to get in/out. I was only in it for a few minutes but so far it seems solid.

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg