Jon I

Huge News

400 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, staktup said:

Here is my 10 year old son pedaling last Sunday for 3 straight hours- he has the 2 fins as well.  I don't think the added drag is bothering him much, while I sound like a nervous nellie trying to explain to him about following seas LOL...

https://youtu.be/Hvel983LqZA

That's awesome! You guys catch anything??

No, but to be honest, we didn;t fish for long.  He kept putting his rod in the holder and secured his lure to go hop waves, so I gave up after a while to just follow him around since he was just so happy doing it.  I didn't want to be far from him in these conditions so I said 'eff it" and joined him.  Another day we'll focus on fishing.

If I wanted to embed the video vs. posting a link, do I hit the "Insert other media" button above the Submit Reply button?  I used the link icon above but that obviously wasn't it...

12 mins ago, staktup said:

No, but to be honest, we didn;t fish for long.  He kept putting his rod in the holder and secured his lure to go hop waves, so I gave up after a while to just follow him around since he was just so happy doing it.  I didn't want to be far from him in these conditions so I said 'eff it" and joined him.  Another day we'll focus on fishing.

If I wanted to embed the video vs. posting a link, do I hit the "Insert other media" button above the Submit Reply button?  I used the link icon above but that obviously wasn't it...

Yeah those are tough conditions to fish in unless you're trolling, I think you guys had more fun hopping waves anyway haha

All you have to do is copy/paste the link in the post, and it will auto embed.

It's amazing how video of waves never do justice to the actual conditions - I'm sure those conditions felt a lot worse than they look.

Do you think the double fins help Revo with following seas - is that why you added them?

14 hours ago, staktup said:

Yeah, surfers and paddleboarders

complain about trifins creating drag all the time... not. 

What's the point of complaining when your vessel simply won't work without them?  Paddle kayaks work fine without fins or rudders.

4 hours ago, tj7501 said:

It's amazing how video of waves never do justice to the actual conditions - I'm sure those conditions felt a lot worse than they look.

Do you think the double fins help Revo with following seas - is that why you added them?

No, I glued the fins on to help with straight tracking while paddling without usng the rudder or pedals, and they work well when it is not too windy.  I haven't been able to test this in a strong current though.

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

What's the point of complaining when your vessel simply won't work without them?  Paddle kayaks work fine without fins or rudders.

Not sure of what you are saying here Gelflex. Can you write without exaggeration?  No one said their vessel wouldn’t work without these accoutrements.

The Outback, Sport, Revo 11 & 13 do not track well while PADDLING due to the rounded hull, or rather, rounded stern keel design. I’ve never tried the Revo 16/Adventure, but most people state that it tracks the best of all mirage-driven models.  

When I had an Oasis, it paddled better than my smaller revos without the rudder, but still not good, and I presume the Outfitter performs like the Outback, maybe slightly better due to the increased length.  The paddle-specific Hobie kayaks have sharper and more pronounced keels to aid in tracking.  

I would be interested if Hobie ever made a prototype MD kayak with the paddle-specific hull.  I would think the large sailing rudder would compensate for the reduced turning radius enough to keep customers happy, yet still allow them to paddle the vessels without the MDs locked in if they were going into shallow areas or simply just want to paddle for a bit.  

1 hour ago, staktup said:

Not sure of what you are saying here Gelflex. Can you write without exaggeration?  No one said their vessel wouldn’t work without these accoutrements.

I was referring to the paddle boards and surf boards you mentioned as unusable without fins, not your Hobie.

put the deposit down today...they had Slate Blue but I absolutely despise that color. Went with Orange Papaya. Should be a week or two.

Hopefully easier to re-sell too. I will just use this through the winter and spring and dump it discounted. Be nice to get off work 2nd week of October and get back to the Florida Panhandle and do another Wilson Trip.

28 mins ago, The Riddler said:

put the deposit down today...they had Slate Blue but I absolutely despise that color. Went with Orange Papaya. Should be a week or two.

Slate blue is also a great way to blend in with the ocean and get run down by a boat...