Huge News

1 hour ago, kross57 said:

Hey Riddler, this is just my translation, but it seems they consider you just a fly speck on the windshield. This time, anyway. I'm the one they are after. Lucky you! lol

I had you wrong kross...I have to go sink in the same ship as you. You’re all I got. 

1 hour ago, kinghong1970 said:

Riddler, i think Ship was talking more about the direction the thread has gone to... 

i think we're way beyond defining "niche" and it's clear, we are talking about multiple definitions of "niche"

and you're right, snowboard, niche to mainstream, skateboard too... surfing... etch... there are always the leaders in industry... 

and i enjoyed reading your poured plastic threads too... 

The post I made was the observation of  niche.  Not just what ship wrote. Its the biggest load of crap I have ever seen. 

I really like the sacrificial stern piece. Wish they had one on the bow as well. With the soft Hobie plastic, it needed that.  I don't like the new rudder at all. It is so exposed, even with that strange Outback loader thingy. The old flip up rudder was such a nice feature.   Is it cheaper to make? I don't see any benefit. 

SOMETHING LIGHT!! lol

No arm rests on the seat.

Something that I can paddle if I need to.

I dont need much storage.

I would have gotten the Outback but I thought I wanted something I could stand in. Even though I fly fish a lot I didn't feel the need to have to stand so thats not a big deal this time around.

Edited by Surfinator

I can't figure something out.  30 years ago when I got into WW, there were 1/2 dozen US makers of glass only boats, and this was when they were 12-14' long, not tiny like today. It was a relatively small but active niche. How come there's not a single maker of glass SOTs (except possibly OnWater) and certainly no maker of pedals.  It would not be at all technically hard to built a light glass boat to receive a commercially available pedal drive.  The great thing about glass is that you can put more where it needs to be, like around the drive well. It does not require heavy equipment, I knew a guy who did it in his garage for chuckles, his day job was psychiatrist! It's strange. If I cared as much as Riddler, who spends an impressive amount on boats, I'd take a paddle hull I liked like a Prowler, pull a mold, modify it for pedals, and cast me a fast, narrow, low pedal kayak.

What I might do for chuckles is turn my unused Pescador 12 into a sidewheeler pedal boat.

Bic_Wheel.jpg

On 9/1/2018 at 5:05 PM, Surfinator said:

SOMETHING LIGHT!! lol

No arm rests on the seat.

Something that I can paddle if I need to.

I dont need much storage.

I would have gotten the Outback but I thought I wanted something I could stand in. Even though I fly fish a lot I didn't feel the need to have to stand so thats not a big deal this time around.

Same here man. Sold my Outback last year due to its sheer weight. Car topping that thing was ridiculous and proved to be a deterrent. Many a time i would find myself with a couple free hours. In the past, i wouldnt think twice and toss my yak on the roof and go. With the Outback, id find myself saying "i dont want to have to deal with loading/unloading that thing".

Dont get me started on the guys who buy a trailer for their KAYAK lol. Buy a boat if you're going to trailer it. You can get a nice used one for the same money or less than a new Hobie..

28 mins ago, Baitbucket said:

Same here man. Sold my Outback last year due to its sheer weight. Car topping that thing was ridiculous and proved to be a deterrent. Many a time i would find myself with a couple free hours. In the past, i wouldnt think twice and toss my yak on the roof and go. With the Outback, id find myself saying "i dont want to have to deal with loading/unloading that thing".

Dont get me started on the guys who buy a trailer for their KAYAK lol. Buy a boat if you're going to trailer it. You can get a nice used one for the same money or less than a new Hobie..

Say what you will about trailers, but I got mine for under 300 and I only need to lift my outback up to my hip.:p