Jon I

Huge News

400 posts in this topic

No problem here with the center hatch. I found it is never the same once you take it off and clean it. I leave it open and let it dry . Then brush it with a cheap paint brush to dust off the sand. Spray with silicon spray and its good for another 5 or 6 trips.Now the front hatch, yeah they suck on the outback.
  The "big news" is Revo 16's  at half price.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm down for all of the above (except the PA with twin Hondas haha).  Better transducer integration would be at the top of my list. I need to upgrade one of my older pre-2013 Revos, so I'm paying attention tomorrow.

Edited by Land-Shark

11 mins ago, bmac said:

Pro Angler 27 with twin Honda 90s.  T-Top with outriggers extra. 

LOL! it's like a bad sequel to their PA 17 T

50 mins ago, cheech said:

The news may come from down under.

Screenshot_2018-08-23-16-32-56-1.png

Maybe "full power reverse" is new? There's now way I can go full speed reverse in my 180... I tried it and quickly learned it pins my rudder to one side once the water catches it. Even half full speed pushes enough water against it to pin it.  I got the sailing rudder so maybe you can go faster with the mini stock one.

Perhaps they have a new rudder? Jon, do you cleat your rudder line? Moving forward in heavy current if I don't cleat off my rudder line it sometimes swings 180°.

Hey Cheech: I always wished that Hobie indexed the rudder dial and had an easy means of locking it in position.  If you've figured out how to cleat it, you're far more clever than me (which isn't really saying much).  One of the biggest advantages of the pedal drive kayak for what I use it for (mainly speckled trout & redfish in our coastal marshes) is the ability to hover in current and really work the water column.  That can be hard to do in braided  or stronger currents.  I'm constantly reaching down to the rudder dial which inhibits my ability to fish as effectively.  Still better than trying to manage a paddle and do the same.  

There is a cleat for the down rudder line that stabilizes the rudder. While traveling you can over correct towards the current/wind and let off the pedals as needed to better stay on course.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, cheech said:

Perhaps they have a new rudder? Jon, do you cleat your rudder line? Moving forward in heavy current if I don't cleat off my rudder line it sometimes swings 180°.

Yeah, I cleat it to prevent it from getting pushed up. 

Edited by Jon I
typo