Is the MV Derby still important to the Vineyard Economy?

Rate this topic

ChuckieP

The Derby is important to the Vineyard's economy, its character and to the many students who have received more than $500,000 in scholarships since 1986. It is a non-profit organization run by volunteers who do such a great job that attendance records are broken annually. More than 3500 anglers from all over the globe participated in 2017. The 73rd Derby will begin on Sunday, September 9, 2018 and end on Saturday, October 13. 

Kib you are a legend and there is no denying the benefit to current and and pass students and local businesses but is this sustainable with available parking, access and beach restrictions increasing every year. Are the mass of fishermen destined to fish only the few allowable (TOR) areas or is it destined to be a boat only tournement?

"Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory" E.H.

1 hour ago, ChuckieP said:

Kib you are a legend and there is no denying the benefit to current and and pass students and local businesses but is this sustainable with available parking, access and beach restrictions increasing every year. Are the mass of fishermen destined to fish only the few allowable (TOR) areas or is it destined to be a boat only tournement?

I guess the only answer to your question about sustainability is to wait and see if the Derby starts to lose entrants and popularity as time goes on. 

7 hours ago, ChuckieP said:

Just curious because I love this event and see more and more access restrictions. Does the MV economy still need this or has Richie rich taken over control of the island?

Can you give some examples of the restrictions. Just curious 

13 hours ago, wishiniwuzfishin said:

Haven't fished it in a few years, but my experience was that parking rules were "relaxed"  during Derby time as far as town beach parking lots etc.

Is this not the case anymore?

A number of the restricted town beaches which are "closed" in early June for the tourist season are opened for the derby.  The town of Chilmark has a web site explaining when Lucy Vincent and Squibnocket beaches are opened.  Aquinnah also relaxes parking for Philbin and for the big lot at Gay Head in the fall.  Its my experience that if you don't mind walking a bit you can get to any spot on the island. 

The benefits to the island economy are greatly overblown IMO. Stop and Shop may gain a few customers but the small amount of derby participants don't buy a significant amount of t shirts and knick knacks to bolster the island economy to any appreciable degree. Not saying it hurts it but 2,500 entrants who spend most of their time on the water, likely move the economy meter by a blip at best.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

6 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

The benefits to the island economy are greatly overblown IMO. Stop and Shop may gain a few customers but the small amount of derby participants don't buy a significant amount of t shirts and knick knacks to bolster the island economy to any appreciable degree. Not saying it hurts it but 2,500 entrants who spend most of their time on the water, likely move the economy meter by a blip at best.

I’d disagree. Not all are otw 24 a day. I know home owners appreciate a fall rental. 3500 entries have to spend money somewhere? When I’ve fished it we ate out at least once a day. Bought beer, food (Larson’s :) )and hooch. Blew money in Coops and Traders others. 

Im sure the $$$ on rentals might go to islanders for necessary home repairs and such so it trickles down. I guess “important” is subjective. 

3500 less residents is a big # IMO. Maybe I’m wrong...

Edited by brushfly

1 hour ago, brushfly said:

I’d disagree. Not all are otw 24 a day. I know home owners appreciate a fall rental. 3500 entries have to spend money somewhere? When I’ve fished it we ate out at least once a day. Bought beer, food (Larson’s :) )and hooch. Blew money in Coops and Traders others. 

Im sure the $$$ on rentals might go to islanders for necessary home repairs and such so it trickles down. I guess “important” is subjective. 

3500 less residents is a big # IMO. Maybe I’m wrong...

I'm not saying it has zero effect on the island economy, I'm merely pointing out it's :airquote:  actual effect on the island economy is way over blown in its magnitude, at least from what I've seen. After all the derby was started specifically to bolster the local economy in the shoulder season.

Compare the derby to annual MV spring/fall weddings... and I'd say the 1st most expensive wedding of the year pumped more into the island economy more so than all the 5 weeks and 2,800 registered derby enterers ever did. Multiply that by some June/Sept weekends that feature over 25 weddings island wide and... you get what I'm saying (cha ching).

I say this partially because fisherman have a more frugal mindset and don't come to the island for $30 t-shirts and $9 ice cream cones so much, they come for the fishing... which is free for the most part. The anglers will throw a shekel or two here and there, don't get me wrong, but wedding folk come for a few days and throw money around like its going out of style.

It is what it is. Islanders appreciate every last penny earned before this whole tourist train comes to a crashing halt. I'm not trying to minimize the importance of every promotion. Tivoli day, The Derby, bike races, its all good. :) 

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

11 hours ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

That is 75,000 a day. For 30 days it would be 30 x 75000= $2,250,000

That’s assuming 1500 people fish the derby who don’t live there are on island every day. Seems like a lot. I’ve only fished it last year and only stayed on the island a week. I’m guessing that is more typical for majority of people. 

Edited by Wicked-Fly