Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Borsig

Puppy (keeper) drum - when?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I have enjoyed every black drum that I have eaten.  As with any fish, take the red meat out.  For their size, the amount of white meat is kind of small (large heads and a decent amount of red meat to trim), but still get a decent amount.  Pompano are excellent eating, likely from the same crustacean reason, with less red meat to trim.  I tend to think like most fish, better when smaller/younger.  The NC slot size seems to have them in a very good eating range.  I've eaten them just legal, both min & max, and both were great.

I take it the River Rigs you guys use for puppy drum are larger hooks than the ones that I have for mullet/pompano.  I couldn't see why they wouldn't work great if using larger hooks for puppy drum.  I would guess if going for the monster drum, you would want to go with the heavier fish finder drum rig.  That and if where you are looking to cast requires a further cast.

I catch most of mine on structure like pylons, have picked them up in the surf fishing fleas and shrimp on deeper cuts and washes fishing for whiting. If you can find rocks or pylons, fish close to the structure in the deep holes and Eddy's the current washes out. 

16 hours ago, Ksjohnson said:

Hanlon,

the original River rig, and the newer Crazy Jimmy version have taken a bunch of pups down there over the years. If the fish are in range of a two hook rig then it is always my first choice out front, just starting to fish the sound so I am not sure about it. 

I am thinking that we are talking about two different "river rigs," as the ones that I have seen/fished have very small, say #4 hooks on them and are tied with 15# floro. the hooks are small enough that they are almost too small for a large sand flea. perfect for popano and whiting, but I wouldn't use them for drum.

do you use larger hooks on the same style rig? I could see that working, but with all that line and bait flapping around, your not going to bomb a cast out there.

Posted (edited) · Report post

River Rigs, as referred to on the OBX, are made by Joe Moore from One More Cast (in Avon). Available in just about every tackle shop down there, in sizes for everything from pompano / mullet up to puppy drum. With or without floaters, many variations to choose from. 

As I prefer to tie my own rigs I've never used them, but they are very popular and proven catchers. And Joe is a good guy.  

Edited by ByronPA

1 hour ago, ByronPA said:

River Rigs, as referred to on the OBX, are made by Joe Moore from One More Cast (in Avon). Available in just about every tackle shop down there, in sizes for everything from pompano / mullet up to puppy drum. With or without floaters, many variations to choose from. 

As I prefer to tie my own rigs I've never used them, but they are very popular and proven catchers. And Joe is a good guy.  

How much do these things run each ballpark?

Hanlon,

the pompano, and whiting river rigs are tied with 25 or 30 lb floro and size 2,4 or 6 hooks. U need to keep the floro that heavy to keep from tangling. The puppy drum rigs are either 40 or 50lb floro with 4/0 or 5/0 hooks. 50lb floro sounds heavy, but 2 nice pups at the same time really pulls on the rig. Also usually no probelem getting the rig out to the bar

Borsig, 

think all the various versions of the river rig are around 6 dollars.

Byron,

i tie my own river rigs also., and yes Joe Moore is the best. Have always enjoyed your posts, hope to catch up with you one day down there.  Scott

last year I was getting skunked one day so I pulled out this pack of stuff I think was called Saltwater Fishbites

I bought in Salvo on a different trip.  It looks like strips of chewing gum you need to cut and put on the hook. the bag said it was shrimp flavor (I did not taste it). It really sticks on the hook as it has materiel backer in it.

I started catching black drum sometimes 2 at a time. This run went on for over an hour.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:54 AM, Grayson said:

Best eating fish your gonna catch in the surf. Pretty white meat, all they eat is crustaceans

Yes I know this thread is older but I wanted to add a note

Black drum taste great... when younger... almost as good to me as reds.

And as for crustaceans... while they do love crabs and shrimp, they eat mollusks too, and from personal experience I can tell you the smaller ones will hit the same grubs on jigs I use for flounder and trout. 

I'll rephrase what I said. Diet is primarily shellfish, should have been a bit more clear. They are opportunistic feeders, like most fish.