Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Simplifly

9wt skagit setup?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

The canal is on my bucket list, as is a reason to buy a skagit set up for my 9wt single hander. I had some fun with a 7wt OPST setup this summer. Do any of you have any other system recommendations? The OPST systems aren't cheap. I have a decent cast, and although I've very little experience with the skagit heads, I used to throw a lot of longer shooting heads and LC-13. I have an extra, substantial (12-13) reel that I've been saving for a two hander that I can use.  What about the skagit in the surf? I that even a thought? Thanks in advance.

spey  casting with traditional spey lines and skagit are not great in the surf. In fact in rolling surf it’s a frustrating waste of time. Overhead is the way forward.

If Sea is dead flat fine but then you are not surf fishing.

Opst lines are just short skagits If you are casting them ok then it’s only a case of a longer head with more std skagit lines.

For the canal single hander think 10 wt. Helpful if you are experienced in fighting big fish in confined spaces crowds and big current.

There is a mass of info on TH rods. Long thread Just recently which you can scroll down to find.

mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

5 hours ago, Simplifly said:

The canal is on my bucket list, as is a reason to buy a skagit set up for my 9wt single hander. I had some fun with a 7wt OPST setup this summer. Do any of you have any other system recommendations? The OPST systems aren't cheap. I have a decent cast, and although I've very little experience with the skagit heads, I used to throw a lot of longer shooting heads and LC-13. I have an extra, substantial (12-13) reel that I've been saving for a two hander that I can use.  What about the skagit in the surf? I that even a thought? Thanks in advance.

Skagit is great for saltwater scenarios without surf.  If heading to beaches with swell and surf I use TH overhead rod.  If fishing estuaries, inlets, or bridges where you have no backcast room due to vegutation, rocks or other manmade obstructions I throw a 10 weight 12'6" skagit rod with a 675 grain Rio slagit max head.  I have caught fish at canal with this skagit setup but it does not have the lifting power if I hook a 20lb or bigger striper and current is screaming.  So far the biggest I was able to land there was 34" on that setup.

So you can fish the canal with that rod and a OPST line system but understand if you hook a big fish you are probably going to get smoked so make sure your leader will break and you dont lose your entire line system so use 50lb gel spun backing for sure.  Shoot me a DM and I can give you an area to give it a shot.  You need to get there at 2:30am or you will not get a good spot and be unable to fly fish.

For example you need somewhere you can stand in water safely so your mono shooting line is in water or you need a flatter rocky area so at low tide you can set up a stripping bucket if trying to OH cast far.  I am experimenting with making a giant ground set basket out of a laundry basket wigh mono posts and using bean bags off four sides so it will stay upright on rocks.  50 vs 90 foot casts usually means you wont get shots

unless the action blows up right next to you.  My assumption is you are trying to target surface action.

I also fish deep spots that I know are good but I doubt any canal guy will

give away his best jigging spots.  So I had to find my own with spinning gear and I now fly fish them.  I only need 50-60' casts at those spots with t-17 heads

You dont get a lot of shots so dont waste them blind casting if targeting surface fish.  Part of the bigger stripping bucket idea is it seems no matter how careful I am my shooting line gets knotted in my curretn smaller stripping basket so hoping a larger one will allow for bigger loops laid out carefully and guarantee a long knot free cast

I haven't posted in a while but I do fish almost every day. I have been using a switch 8 wt almost exclusively since I started fishing this spring. I love it. Mostly OH casting. Have a Rio skagit Versa tip line It's ok and gets the job done as far as getting the line out. But I don't like the way it fishes swinging flies, difficult to mend. The head is 654 grains I believe and it's like fishing with a clothes line!,,,I substituted a full intermediate clear tarpon line 13 weight. And for me problem is solved. Problem is trying to find one without the tropical coating. I was fortunate to have a few new old lines and found some on line. I did experiment with a 12 wt wf line it didn't have enough mass to carry poppers and the larger flies I frequently use i.e. Snake, sliders, hollow etc. Try it you'll be surprised! I do agree about the lifting ability fighting a large fish in heavy water or current, I have sacrificed quite a few this  year also hard to get a good hook set with the outfit - and have popped a few good one especially when they decide to take off. Gotta go catch the tide now ...see ya'

1 hour ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Skagit is great for saltwater scenarios without surf.  If heading to beaches with swell and surf I use TH overhead rod.  If fishing estuaries, inlets, or bridges where you have no backcast room due to vegutation, rocks or other manmade obstructions I throw a 10 weight 12'6" skagit rod with a 675 grain Rio slagit max head. ...................

TGShift, What 12'6" 10 weight are you using? 

Thanks,

George

I just substituted the Sci Angler Third Coast Intermediate Skagit Head for my OPST head on my Opal- big difference- with a T14 12.5 tip it casts much easier overhead.  I have not gotten a big fish in deeper water yet  (beach fishing) so I don't know about lifting power, but I did land a fish, non-striper, on Monday night that was around 5' and 50 lbs and whipped her in about 10 minutes.

THOH is the goto cast for the surf. I tried my OPST with my Opal 7/8 (not a great combo but is fishable) on a shallow beach with 2ft surf in CA. Snap t/c and perry poke work well if you can time it with reading what the surf is doing. Even during sets, there can be good water to spey. It adds layers of timing to the game. The part that is trickier is the water stiction between wash and flat. The line sticks differently in the wash. There is a place for spey in the surf but is underpinned by OH. 

50 mins ago, jjp5 said:

THOH is the goto cast for the surf. I tried my OPST with my Opal 7/8 (not a great combo but is fishable) on a shallow beach with 2ft surf in CA. Snap t/c and perry poke work well if you can time it with reading what the surf is doing. Even during sets, there can be good water to spey. It adds layers of timing to the game. The part that is trickier is the water stiction between wash and flat. The line sticks differently in the wash. There is a place for spey in the surf but is underpinned by OH. 

I don't find the Opal spey casts all that well anyway... I'm a rookie, but my LOOP 12'6" 9 and Meiser 13 7 spey cast with the OPST much better than the Opal.  The Opal rocks overhead, however.  I also have an intermediate scandi head to try.

37 mins ago, jjp5 said:

I could not agree more about the Opal. I brought spey into my trout game and it really opened up a lot of water. I think the same should be true with surf. 

Oh yeah....  I don't nymph fish anymore; I'd rather swing.  I got the Beulah Platinum this spring in a 5 wt- what a blast- particularly swinging traditional wets and soft hackles for LL salmon.  Headed to the West Branch in a week to skate chubbies...

6 hours ago, titleguy said:

I just substituted the Sci Angler Third Coast Intermediate Skagit Head for my OPST head on my Opal- big difference- with a T14 12.5 tip it casts much easier overhead.  I have not gotten a big fish in deeper water yet  (beach fishing) so I don't know about lifting power, but I did land a fish, non-striper, on Monday night that was around 5' and 50 lbs and whipped her in about 10 minutes.

The canal is a really unique problem with needing lifting power.  With the relatively deep depth close to shore and a current that is moving 4 kts and are complete stuck in a fixed position.  So best was to equate it landing a 30lb striper at canal is similar in difficulty to landing a 100lb tarpon from a boat.  

Out my way, where there isn’t much surf guys are digging the interagrated line like SA Spey  or the new OPST smooth integrated line.

Basically Skagit heads without loops.

I’m not sure they have the right grain weights yet for heavier single handed rods yet, but I’d imagine if the demand is there they will.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

Thanks for the info.  I'm going to give this a shot. I have the opportunity to be out there in a couple of weeks. Sounds like I'll need to upgrade my backing to 50lb. My reel requires 300+yards, so that'll be a few bucks.I found some old Amnesia, but for fear of losing a whole setup I think I'll buy everything new. I've decided on a full OPST system. I have a 9wt tip flex Helios One. Any recommendations on head weight (350, 375, 400)? I'd love to target topwater if conditions allow, but I do enjoy dredging and don't mind blind casting. I have a fairly fast casting stroke and I'm reatively strong if that makes a difference with these lines. Sounds more like it's a rod limitation than a casting style limitation though. Unfortunately there is no shop near me to try any lines, so this will be a blind purchase. Hopefully with some advice I can get close to an ideal setup!

Totally understand about the limited lifting power of the nine weight, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I'd love to get a bigger rod or buy a TH, but finances won't allow right now. Any advice/recommendations are appreciated.

Can't figure out how to PM for some reason.

Thanks, Guys.

Cheers