October trip

Rate this topic

Retainer

10 hours ago, pilotman said:

Borsig thats a brave effort. You're the only second car I've seen out there. But good for you. Will Pm you some places that produces for me this time of year that's more accessible. 

Hey Pilotman!....I'll be down in Buxton Thanksgiving week...feel free to share any tips with me as well! LoL.

11 hours ago, Borsig said:

43188734_2460117570679883_7093988463371878400_n.jpg

That is pretty awesome.  I'm sure clearance would be the only issue with a Subaru.  They are pioneers of AWD.  But lifted, you are probably just as high as many SUVs/trucks.  I'd imagine you turn a few heads while out.  I'd personally think about adding a hitch carrier, with extension like the "BlackHat", to keep the slop outside (and able to open the hatch).  Probably the best thing about trucks for ORVs, is the ability to worry about the slop later.

It DOES need a hitch . Not in the budget or time until next year .
The roof basket is where a lot of slop goes, the fish cooler etc. I have more ground clearance than many things out there actually. Its around 11.5"

I spent as much time talking about the car as I did fishing. Its a convo piece.

I just finishing building the rod tube for my rack. 4" PVC. coated it with plasti dip and fusion. Hope it holds up. Reels will have to be removed, but I need room for 3 rods, and 6" wouldnt have done that with reels on anyway. I prefer streamline.

Edited by Borsig

4 hours ago, Retainer said:

My rig, in the spirit of naming trucks, it would be known as the BlackHatt.

BDC9509D-585F-4B16-B2FF-3537588F4FAE.jpeg

8830D559-2F7B-4C7F-8724-00D5F5ADC307.jpeg

Nice looking beach crawler.  Be careful in this rough surf with that board.

My kid's named mine "BlackJack".  Which kept them entertained for about 2 hours of our drive, "racing" other cars...  i.e. passing a car on 95.  Which on that road, is kind of racing if passing anyone.

16 hours ago, Porktown said:

I know I'm a tourist.  I also know from your posts demeaning others, you are a POS.

16 hours ago, DaBig2na said:

No, only to just two or three ...you just happen to be one of them

End it fellas. This personal crap doesn't belong here - keep it off this site. I don't care what happened anywhere else, you are not welcome to disrupt my website with this personal garbage - figure it out...and keep it off this site. Thanks :th:

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

7 mins ago, TimS said:

End it fellas. This personal crap doesn't belong here - keep it off this site. I don't care what happened anywhere else, you are not welcome to disrupt my website with this personal garbage - figure it out...and keep it off this site. Thanks :th:

TimS

My bad TimS.  I deleted.  I should have known better.

The west wind flattened the surf, but it is high tide now. I plan to fish the trough for some flounder and trout with some shrimp. Will report later.

maybe at mid tide it will break on the sandbar, and my daughter and I will catch some surf. This was more of a wind swell from yesterday and those swells don’t last long in 15-25 west wind.

2 hours ago, dixiekraut said:

Hey Pilotman!....I'll be down in Buxton Thanksgiving week...feel free to share any tips with me as well! LoL.

Always willing to share bud! That's on my to do list one of these years. Spend a week down there for Thanksgiving and try to catch something for a surf and turf Thanksgiving meal. And watch football as I'm fishing.  You're living large this year Dixie...LOL

Fishing was bad today, as expected. Water was brown, but no weeds or grass. But the fish weren’t around. Guy next to me had a short flounder. I had something small on but lost it. Probably a small flounder who gobbled a big shrimp and was not hooked, just sucking on the shrimp.

Beautiful day, no humidity, about 75. Had a fighter jet flyby. 

Depending on the surf, I’m either surfing or hitting Ramp 55 to fish for the last hurrah tomorrow morning.

And on the last day, I caught a couple nice bluefish and a short speckled trout at the bottom of ramp 55. After a half hour the bite shut down. Moved up the beach a few times without any luck. 

Fished at the house, ended up catching a bunch of short sheepshead on shrimp.

ended the day at the Sandbar Grille for dinner. Had a great sunset. Now I’m back to the grind.

8BB58D38-5F5E-467E-83D3-059A0857900A.jpeg

I will say this: most of my fish were caught on shrimp. I tied my own “flounder” rigs with about 2’ of 20 lb. mono tied to a torpedo swivel weight (1 oz) to either a snelled gold kahle hook or later in the week I switched over to a 3/0 octopus circle. Some had an orange bead, some just the hook. I caught more fish without the bead. I switched to the circle because some of the short and I mean short, like 6-8” flounder, were eating the entire bait and swallowing the hook. It happened twice and that was enough to cause me to switch. I didn’t need any more than two to have a problem. I think next time I will go with a larger kahle hook; the hooks I used were repurposed from the pompano rigs after a blue would take one of the hooks leaving one left. These are #2 size hooks, which are a good all around size for most of the fish down there. 

The other bait rig I like is the sea striker pompano rig, it comes in different hook sizes. I go with the largest hook size they make. I can catch a variety of fish with these rigs, even caught drum up to 30” with them. NOT recommended for fishing the bull reds lol.

The other rig I use is the Hatteras Doodle Bug, it’s a great rig. The blues go crazy over it, but I have caught puppy drum and trout with them. Mainly in the red/white colors.

For those who are unfamiliar with the pompano rig, here is a pic.

D7193016-1DC7-4CAB-AFB1-0D1EBDAA6864.jpeg