Retainer

October trip

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Porktown said:

North side, is north of the Point, where the ocean is to the East of the land.  South side is south of the Point, where the island turns, and the ocean is to the South of the land.  Different winds and other conditions are more favorable for one vs. the other.  Same can be said of the Sound behind the island too.

I have no idea when to fish what. I caught nothing on the north, all six blues last weekend on the south.

They say, fish into the wind is the best.  That wind should be pushing plankton and other things that baitfish eat to you, which should bring the whole food chain to you.

Personally, I fish whatever I can, when I am able to...  I would definitely not overlook the Sound.  I love fishing the beach, since I am about 300 miles to the closest beach.  But, the Sound seems to have more "bigger fish" willing to play.  Granted, I never make it to Hatteras when the big drum or big cobia are around, and never target sharks.  In those cases, the bigger fish are in the ocean.  To me, the "bigger fish" are the puppy drum & speckled trout compared to the sea mullet and croakers that are usual Summer fair.  The Sound is loaded with fresh bait too.

Most of the bait shops are pretty honest when you stop in, buy some stuff and get a report.  Not sure how honest the reports are online.  I doubt they lie, but stretching the truth to get more people out, wouldn't be far fetched.

So the ocean just outside the house was crazy rough with a lot of sargassum washing up. I quickly decided to head north to Avon. Went over Ramp 38 and it wasn’t much better, that south wind was blowing 30-40 down the beach. I didn’t even bother getting out of the truck. Hit the sound and fished a point with some shrimp, but no luck. The kitesurfers were killing it.

B466754C-3990-47F5-A0EA-452F663EA7C2.jpeg

178CFDEB-743D-46EE-89CC-4A9CDE8AB789.jpeg

19 mins ago, Retainer said:

Stopped by Hatteras Harbor for some pics of the fleet all lined up.

Try to look up Bob Tenbusch in KDH ..Overthehillphotography.. he did an incredible shot of Hatteras Harbor at night .. he waited hours for the right shot..I'd bet his print would look good on a wall in your home or office.

IMG_1294.PNG

IMG_1295.PNG

Borsig and Retainer, After this blow dies down ... try south of the Narrows north of where ramp 44 comes out .. ... the swell should not not be more than 4' and we will have a NE for at least a day or two. Also the south side of The Point near The Hook. Look for good current.

Ramp 48 near Where Frisco pier used to be. Water temps are unseasonably warm this time of year and we have not see a spot bite to amount to anything.

10 mins ago, Porktown said:

I know I'm a tourist.  I also know from your posts demeaning others, you are a POS.

No, only to just two or three ...you just happen to be one of them

Thanks for the pointers bigtuna.

and let’s try not to mess this thread up with the name calling back and forth. Aside from the folks that live and work here, everyone is basically a tourist, no matter how often or long you are here.

Tuna that shot I took of the fleet, comparing to what you posted it’s almost the same shot. Maybe I will take another just before nightfall.

51 mins ago, Retainer said:

Tuna that shot I took of the fleet, comparing to what you posted it’s almost the same shot. Maybe I will take another just before nightfall.

Very true... his colors pop and not a single ripple on the water ... 

Posted (edited) · Report post

50 mins ago, Retainer said:

Oh, Borsig, these are the houses by the ferry.

E2484019-5820-428F-BDE5-F1FEC45DB87B.jpeg

Me and my 50.00 a night cabin LOL.

We usually camp in a tent. Its only like 2 hrs from the Mobjack, hell if I could cross the NC VA border at corolla it would be way less LOL. I swear it seems everyone I ever see down there is from up north.

I seriously need to find some new spots. Im sick to death of the point. Its always covered up. Since we are living it up in our 50.00 cabin in Rodanthe, maybe I'll do something different. I have to work this weekend though.

ETA the water was crazy warm last weekend. Sunday AM the water was warmer than the air.

Edited by Borsig

32 mins ago, Borsig said:

Me and my 50.00 a night cabin LOL.

We usually camp in a tent. Its only like 2 hrs from the Mobjack, hell if I could cross the NC VA border at corolla it would be way less LOL. I swear it seems everyone I ever see down there is from up north.

I seriously need to find some new spots. Im sick to death of the point. Its always covered up. Since we are living it up in our 50.00 cabin in Rodanthe, maybe I'll do something different. I have to work this weekend though.

ETA the water was crazy warm last weekend. Sunday AM the water was warmer than the air.

I never fish the point, forget that nightmare. I’d rather find my own space down Ramp 55 or 49. But I mainly fish 55, and do rather well there, considering the fact that Mother Nature took away the end of the beach at the inlet. Sometimes I go all the way down to the end, sometimes the middle, I look for good water, and I like a point for low tide where I can walk out to cast beyond the outer bar. 

I also like to fish Ramp 67 over on Ocracoke, but that is an all day affair.

Dont get stuck believing you have to fish the point just because it’s the point. There are many other places to fish that produce. And remember, get some shrimp, I catch more on shrimp lately that I’m believing more and more that it’s the bait of choice.