Retainer

October trip

Rate this topic

75 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am booked with my annual family trip Oct 7 to the 14th, but one daughter will be in college now and might only make a couple days if at all, kids growing up quick. I remember pulling them over the dune in the little tikes wagon. Anyway, I will be in a black Tahoe fishing mostly early mornings at the ramps, usually 55 all the way down.

My Best bud, another Hatt lover, is having a tough run up here in Jersey, and he booked a place the week before, so I’m headed down early ahead of the family to fish and surf a few days with the boys. I’m expecting to arrive Oct 3. So I’m in for like a 10 day trip this year. 

Last year my family had our October week, but then decided on Thanksgiving week too. We had nice weather both weeks. 

Looking forward to being with the ghost crabs again. If you see me, stop by to say hello, I will be the guy throwing his gear into the water because I can’t even catch a snapper blue, lol

Edited by Retainer

Should be prime time. Sadly, I can't get there until a month after you..But I'll be looking for lots of fish pics. 

Looks like I’m leaving a few days early. A friend has a place this week in Frisco. I’m leaving late afternoon tomorrow. I will have some fishing time with the boys til Sunday, then my wife and youngest come down Sunday afternoon. I’m getting 10 days in this trip. Weather is fantastic and we may have some half decent surf so I can get some waves too. 

I will report more once I’m down with the pelicans.

11 hours ago, Retainer said:

Looks like I’m leaving a few days early. A friend has a place this week in Frisco. I’m leaving late afternoon tomorrow. I will have some fishing time with the boys til Sunday, then my wife and youngest come down Sunday afternoon. I’m getting 10 days in this trip. Weather is fantastic and we may have some half decent surf so I can get some waves too. 

I will report more once I’m down with the pelicans. 

I may sneak down saturday till monday. Keep us posted 

Looking forward to reading some reports and other notes on all of your adventures.  Safe travels, and best of luck on the catching.  Reports are looking great on catching something.  Monsters at night.  Enjoy the extended Summer!

9 hours ago, bstriping said:

I may sneak down saturday till monday. Keep us posted 

I’m leaving at 3:30 am. I should be down to Nags Head by mid morning. I’m hoping to grab an early lunch at Blue Moon, like a mahi BLT.

i will pm you my contact info. Saturday who knows, we may be fishing Ocracoke that day. I have a black Tahoe, buddy has an all white hardtop Wrangler. 

16 hours ago, Retainer said:

I’m leaving at 3:30 am. I should be down to Nags Head by mid morning. I’m hoping to grab an early lunch at Blue Moon, like a mahi BLT.

i will pm you my contact info. Saturday who knows, we may be fishing Ocracoke that day. I have a black Tahoe, buddy has an all white hardtop Wrangler. 

This is what I'll be driving. Might have the kayak, but probably not. post-41811-0-33776800-1470019174.jpg

2 hours ago, bstriping said:

This is what I'll be driving. Might have the kayak, but probably not. 

You remember where you and I chatted last Spring? Well a few Drum have been caught there..it's early I know.....I will be North after this cold front moves down (you should know the place.)....Last weekend was a good Spanish bite....I've been eating them since Monday .... Bring your Drum rod... 

5 hours ago, DaBig2na said:

You remember where you and I chatted last Spring? Well a few Drum have been caught there..it's early I know.....I will be North after this cold front moves down (you should know the place.)....Last weekend was a good Spanish bite....I've been eating them since Monday .... Bring your Drum rod... 

Yup!:cool: Neck and back really starting to feel better. Just in time. Time to get back into the game :hooked: 

12 hours ago, bstriping said:

Time to get back into the game :hooked: 

Carrova would be another place Id go... Looks like the swell will be down enough ( less than 3') to fish it beginning Monday.. I'd fish the high tide in the evening 2 hrs before and after the high... Mon through Thurs looks good... You might see me there

4 hours ago, DaBig2na said:

Carrova would be another place Id go... Looks like the swell will be down enough ( less than 3') to fish it beginning Monday.. I'd fish the high tide in the evening 2 hrs before and after the high... Mon through Thurs looks good... You might see me there

This will be a quick trip Steve. If I go, will be down late Saturday afternoon and leaving late Monday. Then an all out blitz on Ocracoke later this month. Keep in touch. Curious to see how you make out 

The last few days have been awesome. Great weather, low 80s and sunny, hardly any wind, except for this afternoon it picked up a little. I have been catching mainly small bluefish, a few pompano. We had a morning charter behind Ocracoke Saturday fishing for specks, gray trout and drum. We picked up a few trout for the box, and a lot of C&R.

72A07072-B83E-47DD-A5AF-72FB8882D640.jpeg

I caught a few nice few bluefish today down Ramp 55, pulled out the grill and cooked those fresh fillets in the pic above.

been in contact with bstriping but he is on ocracoke. I’m in Hatteras.