Albie/Bone hunt

Rate this topic

Hookerboots

6 hours ago, Joppa said:

The hogy epoxies are ok but the paint chips way to easy...caught some sea bass on em yesterday and all the paint was destroyed after 4 fish....and forget bluefish brand new epoxie destroyed by 1 bluefish....they are effective but not worth the money....way over priced. Caught more albies on soft plastics last year...much better on your wallet. 

LMAO.   BUT SOFT PLASTICS HOLD UP BETTER ???

Good Luck,

Capt. Terry Nugent

5 hours ago, NHAngler said:

Best jigs were the maria jigs. I still have a bunch and not sure if they make them anymore but recall them being hard to get..or they tricked me into buying all that I did? 

4 hours ago, JRT said:

Yep the Viva Parades are excellent. They don't make them any more. I've still got a stash but once they've gone they've gone.

Those were one in the same.   They are not made anymore.   They had VERY limited colors and sizes and the hooks had to be swapped out before using them as they were usually bronze freshwater hooks.   

I tried to buy the North American rights and they said they were all done, no thanks.    

I worked VERY closely with Hogy Lures to bring the Epoxy jigs to market.   We took the best of the old jigs and then added relevant sizes and colors.   Also standard 4x VMC hooks right out of the package.   

A TON of time and money went into getting the epoxy the right blend of clarity and shine and durability and one that wont melt plastic boxes and other lures.  

Too clear and whiney they get brittle, to soft they get more impact resistant but hazy and often will met out Plano box or other lures.  Its is a fine line getting them where they are.   

I've landed everything from schoolies to mahi to Giant tuna on them.  

Good Luck,

Capt. Terry Nugent

Just now, Joppa said:

never said they did....just much cheaper to lose 1 zoom fluke over 1 epoxie

I.can run multiple charters on the same jigs and we land several dozen without issue.    They dont like rocks or being bounced off hulls 

Good Luck,

Capt. Terry Nugent

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

They will hit almost anything. I find Bonito not to be as fussy as Albies. They can be gluttons of the sea. I have found tinker macks in bones. I like the crystal minnows and daiwa sp's plugs followed by Hogy epoxies and even the cheap ole classic HR Tackle sting silver.

Agreed. If I can get my lure through breaking bonito I usually get bit. I used to use live tinker macs for bonito during the MV derby years back. Bones love them.

10 mins ago, Riptide said:

I.can run multiple charters on the same jigs and we land several dozen without issue.    They dont like rocks or being bounced off hulls 

for sea bass and bluefish or we talking just albies? see my original post about fishing yesterday.

Just now, Tailslap said:

Agreed. If I can get my lure through breaking bonito I usually get bit. I used to use live tinker macs for bonito during the MV derby years back. Bones love them.

Anything specific to look for when searching for fish? ie structure or depths that hold them. have caught bonita in florida on a buddys boat and didnt pay much attention to what was under us

36 mins ago, asian satan said:

Anything specific to look for when searching for fish? ie structure or depths that hold them. have caught bonita in florida on a buddys boat and didnt pay much attention to what was under us

Honestly it’s no different than looking for any other fish that are feeding on top. Birds over breaking fish. Find the bait and find the fish.After a while of seeing them feed you can tell they are bonito and not striped bass or blues. Look for fast streaking football shaped fish. Those will be bonito or false albacore. Put your time in and you will get them.

Edited by Tailslap

The epoxy jigs are a good lure but I would take a Maria over them any day. The epoxies don't cast nearly as well as a Maria. My stash of Maria's is getting a little lean but I should be good for a few+ years.

I like soft plastics a lot too, probably used them more than any other offering in the past several years. Cheap and very effective.

Embrace American Privilege

3 hours ago, Riptide said:

I worked VERY closely with Hogy Lures to bring the Epoxy jigs to market.   We took the best of the old jigs and then added relevant sizes and colors.   Also standard 4x VMC hooks right out of the package.   

A TON of time and money went into getting the epoxy the right blend of clarity and shine and durability and one that wont melt plastic boxes and other lures.  

Too clear and whiney they get brittle, to soft they get more impact resistant but hazy and often will met out Plano box or other lures.  Its is a fine line getting them where they are.   

I obviously had zero to do with the development and production of epoxies.. but I have to say.. this^ is reality folks. Cant get everything you want with plastics when you're working with price caps on a commercial product.

Sidenote: If fishing were golf I'd have some sort of laughable handicap so I definitely can't talk smack there:)...... but I did go school for plastics, and can vouch for his argument about the limited range of plastic properties available on a lure like this. Unless the manufacturer went to some exotic specialty engineering/medical resin blend, that would end up costing $20+/jig, the current design is probably about as good as you're going to get.

No, the impact resistance is not like Goodyear tire rubber. So you cant cast them full bore into the side of a bridge.. or skip them crazy over rocks. ..But they do work though. And the rings and hooks are good. 

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

Nobody was a bigger Maria jig guy than me. I had tons of them and swore by them as the best Albie metal. However since the Hogy epoxy jigs have been out I only use them and sold all my Maria’s. I found the Epoxy jigs worked equally as good and the color selection is incredible. And it’s not that hard not to smash them into the rocks. I think I have broken zero epoxy jigs. The new standard as far as I am concerned.